MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-22-2005, 07:12 AM   #1
Trigger
Registered Member

Default New Ride

In January I purchased my first "new" car in 21 years. I previously refused to ante up the big bucks just to get major depreciation as soon as I drove off a Ford lot, especially since the Dearborn guys lately kept their vehicles looking the same for 8-15 years! So, I typically did the Program vehicle route, which usually saved me at least $10,000 from the cost of a new car.
Well, the 2005 Mustang was my downfall. After having driven FWD cars since 1982, I went out in a major Michigan snowstorm to test drive a RWD 'Stang with ABS and traction control. Okay, you can call me crazy (my wife still does after 4 weeks of owning the car).
I've found the car to be a mixture of highs and lows. It seems that Ford decided to spend most of their design money on the GT's engine, so the base is still left somewhere in a 1980's timewarp of solid rear axles and McStruts (and don't give me the Ford PR line about wanting to swap axle gearing for racing - it's a cost thing!!). Also, does a low starting price point mean that such things as heated outside mirrors, a sunroof, usable door map pockets, AdvanceTrac, or a V6 suspension upgrade can't be had at ANY price?
Still, despite my wishes for some improvements, I love the car. Yeah, admittedly there aren't a lot of '05 Mustangs running around in snow ravaged Michigan yet, but this thing draws stares and comments everywhere I've gone. And, unlike the bulbous Chrysler 300, I haven't yet heard one disparaging remark from 84 to 5 year olds that have given me the "thumbs up". In fact, the first day that I owned it, my 16 year old daughter had friends that drove by our house 3 times just to look it over.
Ford has finally got at least one non-truck winner on it's hands. Now, if they could just do something about those useless map pockets...
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: