View Single Post
Old 05-29-2002, 09:31 PM   #9
Rev
Registered Member

If you have many miles on the engine, then I would do a complete rebuild if you can afford it. But first you have to decide what the car is for. Mine is a weekend street driver/ street racer/ occasional drag strip racer.

What I did was pull the engine (well worn) and find a machine shop that knew what I wanted. I put in a 302 crank (cheap), TRW forged flat top pistons and a top notch short block rebuild.

I used a CC 268 flat tappet hydraulic cam ( better ones are available now as the Extreme Energy dual profile type) . The Performer intake with the Road Demon will do fine, Mine is good to 6000 RPM.

You do need heads. I started off with pocket ported 351W heads milled and gasket matched to the Performer with 1.85/1.55 valves with a 3 angle valve job. I had mine milled to make 9.5/1 CR.

You need a good exhaust system (extremely important). For the street, I use Tri-Y headers with a 2 1/2" custom made pipes with a cross over (H pipe). 3 chamber FlowMasters are loud but work well. Different headers might be better, just don't make the primaries too big.

Pulleys, roller rockers , and a windage tray each help a little. I built a home made cold air induction that seems like it helped a little too.

A TCI 2500 RPM converter and a B&M shift kit are the tranny mods. An 8" Currie built 3.25 Traction-Lock round out the drive train.

Good street radials are a must for the street. More power would require drag radials.

The only thing I did after these Mods was to install pocket ported TFTW heads. That helped 25-35 HP and lowered my ET by .4 and increased trap speeds 2 MPH.

Hope I remembered everything. Questions about my rig, just ask.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 05-29-2002 at 09:40 PM..
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote