MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 05:44 PM   #1
Rev
Registered Member

Post Nissan suprises me

Cruising down Braeswood in Houston and I see what I thought was a customized Nissan Stanza coupe. It had a front fascia with large round driving lights that looked kinda like the ones on the new Subaru WRX. About 3/4 the size of normal round head lights. This wasn't a WRX. About the size of an earlier Accord and a little "boxy". Not any big wing and no stickers anywhere. I looked at the rear for any model designation and saw none. All I saw was a GTR on the deck lid.

To make a short story even shorter we ran even from a light to 60 MPH. My jaw probably dropped 6". The guy waved friendly like and turned off. My car runs 0-60 at 5.3 on a good day. 5.5 probably on a day like today (100 F in Houston).

This was either an earlier Skyline ('90ish), or a heavily and tastefully modified Nissan Stanza with N2O2.

I had to let off at 60 on an ordinary street because a car pulled out in my lane. We were dead even. Needless to say, this Nissan suprised the heck out of me.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Old 08-03-2001, 07:34 PM   #2
RED92LX50
Registered Member

Not that it has much to do with your encounter, but... I heard the new Nissan Maxima will have 260HP - that is definitely going to suck if I get beat by a FOUR door! Think I can convince my wife I need a few more mods...
Old 08-03-2001, 08:40 PM   #3
dashapht
Registered Member

Well, build it faster, build it better, then no worries.. and if all else fails, spray it.

------------------
93 Coupe, long tubes, pro chamber, flowmasters, 3.73, auburn, alum driveshft, subframes, tri-ax, pulley, 73mm MAF, cold air, TFS TW heads, stage 1 cam, track heat intake, 1.6 roller rockers, 24 lb injectors, mac 70mm throttle body, edelbrock water pump, be cool radiator. best ET of 8.73 @ 79.2 in 1/8th before heads, cam, intake, rr's, and tb.
Old 08-03-2001, 09:58 PM   #4
gt-hunter
Registered Member

I had a little honda with no stickers at all no wing at all (which in itself is an accomplishment) and the stock exhaust pipe run me only to put barely a car and a half on him at the end of 110mph. Of course it was from a 25mph roll but still...this thing was fast. That's why I laugh and rev at the sticker crowd but take the sticker-less more seriously.

------------------
1999 Z28 M6 Arctic White, MTI-Clear Lid w/K&N, B&B Triflo, BMR STB, Pro 5.0 Power Tower, 160 Powerstat, HPP3, TB Coolant bypass, Ported MAF, Taylor 409 wires(10.4 mm), NGK TR-55s, Redline Synthetic Lubricants, K&N oil filter,
BEST E.T. 13.27 @ 106.39, 2.022 60'(street tires)
323.1 rwhp, 333.9rwtq
Old 08-04-2001, 02:26 AM   #5
jwboner
Registered Member

Those ricers in plain wrappers are usually the ones that are faster. Not to say they are really fast. The ones that are all stickered out want to look fast and cool but usually don't have any idea about how to make their car any faster except for adding nitro and a fart pipe. I'm not really sure if that pipe alone even helps power or just sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
"Rice, it's what's for dinner"

------------------
65 fastback
347 DFI injected, TFS heads, T5, 4.11 9", tc subframe conns, torq thrust D's
A little history lesson using today's tech.
Old 08-04-2001, 11:39 AM   #6
LincoConti87
Registered Member

You can usually tell the fake ricer by his flowmaster and K&N filter stickers that even if he had wouldn't add anything but noise.
Old 08-06-2001, 02:43 PM   #7
KidNotch4793
Registered Member

From a Friend:

Hate to tell you the bad news, but the Skyline GTRs are already here. These things (R34s and R36s) are AWD and 280 hp out of the factory (Just like Impreza WRXs and the forthcoming Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII) and can give a Cobra a severe run for its money. Then on top of that, these cars can be modded to 1000 hp very easily.

There is already a company importing Skyline GT-Rs to us over here. I'll give Kid the URL.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:24 PM   #8
bark3rd
Registered Member

What the hell is a "skyline"? Manufacturer? I'm not convinced this dude is describing a 280 hp car-maybe a quick import but not 280hp. I could be wrong, Im no rice chef-maybe Im confused because they have no torque and need more hp to run fast.

------------------
Black 2000 GT,5 spd,17" wheels,4:10's, HPM Megabite Jr LCA's, Flowmasters, Steeda pulleys, timing adjuster (11 deg), K&N filter, Nitrous Express w/purge (75shot currently),NGK spark plugs (lower heat range than stock plugs), airbox silencer removed
Old 08-06-2001, 04:02 PM   #9
Fostang
Registered Member

skyline is made by nissan. Very powerful little engines I believe they come with V6. Some up to 450 hp with mods that are easy to do. If I ever had to drive an import it would be a skyline.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Old 08-06-2001, 04:41 PM   #10
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Skylines are pretty awesome cars - I saw one at the Lemans races at Sears Point that one of the companies that imports them brought. All wheel drive twin turbo 2.5L V6. These cars have a traction control system unlike on other cars I have seen (most cars use the brakes at each corner). The Skyline senses lateral and longitudinal G-forces as well as yaw rate and uses front/rear and left/right viscous differentials to control how much torque gets to each of the four wheels individually. Brakes into a corner effectively in a rear-wheel-drive mode to allow the front tires more traction for braking and turn-in, then uses the all-wheel drive to pull out of a turn like crazy.
The pamphlet that they were giving out claims that the new R35 model can run the 1/4 mile in the high-12 to low-13 range on street tires. From what I have seen, the Japanese companies underrate the cars that they sell in Japan because they are not allowed to have more than 285hp on a street car. Obviously most of the Japanese turbo cars that they sold here (3000GT-VR4, 300ZX twin turbo, Supra) were rated for 320hp and that's not because they actually have more horsepower than the Japanese models.
Oh yeah, did I mention that they also have rear wheel steering actuated by an electric servo motor...

[This message has been edited by blue00gt (edited 08-06-2001).]
Old 08-06-2001, 04:47 PM   #11
D&R Stang

How much do these Skylines cost?

Old 08-06-2001, 05:16 PM   #12
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

damn i got to get me rw turning car.....u could do donuts like the monster trucks do!!!!!!!!!if i werte to drive an import it would be a supra tt or rx7 turbo......
but that will never happen so

------------------
Black 1990 gt cobra bonestock
not for long
Old 08-06-2001, 08:10 PM   #13
Rev
Registered Member

As I said, I think this was an older one that someone somehow got into the country. I think these were inline 6's with twin turbos. I looked at some Nissan sites and this looked like an older one. Definitely said GTR on the deck lid and had the Nissan Logo. Actually a pretty nice looking car...and damned quick.

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 08-06-2001, 08:20 PM   #14
danl
Registered Member

I've never seen a skyline in the country, they are very rare. If it was right side drive, then it's a possibility, but you can be assured its not if it was left side drive.

And about the japaneese under rating their cars, yes. Its funny the things they do to pass. Skylines have had systems where they have an easilly acessable "plug" installed from the factory. It takes like 40 or so hp out of the fuel/timing curve so that it can pass the jap standards. All the user has to do is remove this plug, or flip a switch and unleash the power.

------------------
'90 Eclipse GS Turbo
Old 08-06-2001, 08:40 PM   #15
Rev
Registered Member

I had a 1971 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe that I bought brand new. From what I had read, it was supposed to be quick. 2200 lbs., a 5 speed (very rare then) and a 1600 CC DOC engine. After I broke it in it wasn't near what it should have been. Turns out the timing was very retarded and the Webber 2v with vacuum secondary was set where the second barrel never opened at all. This stuff was done so it would pass emissions.

What I did was put the spring on the other side of the vacuum diaphram, thus turning the Webber into a mechanical progressisive 2V. A decent distributor advance and this little car would scoot.

Couldn't keep it out of the shop, so I had to sell it. Was fun when it ran though.

Rev

------------------
1/4 mi.
Old 08-06-2001, 09:57 PM   #16
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

Has someone been playing GT3>? =P
Old 08-07-2001, 05:39 AM   #17
Vector
Registered Member

Hey I thought this was a Mustang site not Uncle Bens cooking recipies . Naw just kidding, hey if the imports go fast then they are not rice. Rice is the extraneous crap that idiots add to cars to make them look faster. If the stuff they add actually .does. make it go faster then it certainly isn't rice. It's beef baby

Those engines they have in some of those imports have a hell of a lot better engineering in them than the Ford ones do. Hey we have a lot of cubic inches to play with so who cares about refinement? Well it would be nice if Ford did as much as we do... maybe we wouldn't have to spend a bunch of dollars on getting heads ported or new camshafts and the like. Why is it that everything stock has to be average and only just good enough to do the job. Ford doesn't put any potential into their engines, we have to swap everything out to get there. The only thing we have to work with is cubic inches, and the imports don't even have that yet they put out some fantastic horsepower numbers. Hmmm.
Old 08-07-2001, 02:10 PM   #18
danl
Registered Member

It is soooooo hard to get power out of na import engines without displacement. Hondas especially are so well engineered that you have to spend big bucks on forced induction to get any usable power out of them though.

I hear where you're coming from from an engineering standpoint. The supra can support 1000 plus hp on the stock bottom end, the 4g63 engine in dsm's is good for 550-600 hp. For a further testiment, my friend is running mid 11 second slips on the stock head, and stock bottom except for higher compression 2g pistons in his 1g.

The skyline however is pretty much a supercar. With an engine every bit as stron as a supra, with an indestructible 4wd system. Plus, with stock "artifical displacement aka: turbocharged" it's suprisingly easy to get those, and any boosted car to run.

Fast is fast, and I don't descriminate when it comes to speed. Wether it's a v8 or an inline 4 or 6 cyl pushing me back in the seat it's all the same.

------------------
'90 Eclipse GS Turbo
Old 08-07-2001, 10:35 PM   #19
93cobrah
Registered Member

I am hearing the same thing the skylines are here beware I would like to catch one slipping to see what it can do. From what I read they were illegal for street use but I guess they decreased the hp for U.S. sales. Yeah right! I have seen the older skylines while visiting Japan they looked more like nissan stanza with the hatchback.

------------------
93 cobra #3786
K/N filter
3:73 gears
bbk headers, H Pipe
flowmaster catback exhaust, triple crome plate 17" original factory wheels

Old 08-08-2001, 02:18 AM   #20
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by 93cobrah:
I am hearing the same thing the skylines are here beware I would like to catch one slipping to see what it can do. From what I read they were illegal for street use but I guess they decreased the hp for U.S. sales. Yeah right! I have seen the older skylines while visiting Japan they looked more like nissan stanza with the hatchback.

Well, with the mods in your sig, you won't be catching one very soon . The Skyline is a 2.6 I6 twin turbo which produces a quoted 280hp(more like 300hp in US street legal trim) and 270-290ft/lbs of torque depending on model(R34's have 290 while the R33's and R32's have 270). This equals mid to low 13 second 1/4 mile times. I am sure the car Rev saw was a modded Stanza or Sentra as the car wasn't right hand drive.

------------------
90 Honda CRX aka Project Mongoose
Estimated Completion: ON STANDBY

84 Toyota Supra:
Japanese 6mge installed within two weeks.....
High flow cat, two chamber flowmaster, custom 2.5" piping, msd 8.5mm wires. Will have boost before 2002.
Have HKS turbo manifold for it.....

Closed Thread