MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-19-2002, 03:22 PM   #1
inferno
The Instigator

Default Non drivers at the track

I went to the track this weekend and witnessed some terrible driving while I was there. There was a 500whp Supra there running 118-121 trap speeds....but his fastest et was a 14.4!!! It is obvious that the power is there but the idiot couldn't get his car down the track. There was also some guy making excuses in a mustang...he put skinnies on and slicks and was claiming to have 150 shot of nitrous, but he couldn't hit anything better than a 13.9. His excuse was that his car was running bad, but he continued to make passes with his poor running car...hmmm. My friend had a pretty good outing though...his CRX ran a 13.9 @ 101 on street tires and 13.6 @ 99 on slicks. I am sure he could have been at least a tenth faster if he would have played with the tire pressure a little and heated up the slicks better.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:24 PM   #2
The Deuce
Registered Member

Where were you guys running LACR? Heard it got 'interesting' at Irwindale on Thursday.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 04:13 PM   #3
mysweetlx
Registered Member

Everyone's gotta start somewhere. It's possible it was both of those guys' first time to the track and ned to get used to the tree and their launches.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:22 PM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Somone should beat that guy in the supras @ss. What a retard
wish I would have been there I could have smoked him in the GT or the cobra.

There is a guy here that has a 95 stang and sprays a 100 shot on slicks and runs 13.7's. I run right with him in my naturaly aspirated convertible 88GT 5.0 on nittos.

Sad Very sad,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 05:09 PM   #5
inferno
The Instigator

This was at California Speedway...the guy with the Mustang had been there before and so had the guy with the Supra. The guy in the Stang kept making excuses for his runs saying that the car wasn't running right. Personally, if my car wasn't running right I wouldn't continue to make passes. The guy in the Supra didn't know how to launch....he was launching his car at 2400rpms and wondering why he was bogging. I suggested slipping the clutch at about 3500 to get the turboes to spool and then going, but he decided not to run it anymore because of the criticizm he was getting. The clutch he has can handle the abuse and has been used in 700+whp cars while he is sitting at 525whp. Also, stock rear ends and trannies have been used in cars running 9's and 10 second full weight street cars with no problems, but he claimed he didn't want to hurt the tranny or diff. That Getrag box is almost indestructable!! Same thing with the rear end. When I told him that he was like "I know, but I just want to be safe" Why build a 500+whp car and take it to the drag strip then? I'm sorry, but if your car is pulling 118-121 trap speeds and your fastest pass is a 14.4 out of 5 passes, you deserve to be made fun of. When you are afraid to race civics with motor swaps that are running 14's, you ought to just sell the car to someone who will appreciate it.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:52 AM   #6
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

118-121 trap speeds and his best was a 14.4 - are you serious? Was he spinning the tires to half track or something?

I could have given the guy the benefit of the doubt if he was running high 12's or low 13's, but a freakin' 14.4?!?! Unreal.

I agree about the guy in the Mustang...if it's not running right, why keep racing and risk screwing something up that could cost you alot more to fix? Makes about zero sense.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 09:39 AM   #7
Maroon 5.0 LX
Registered Member

Like Emysweetlx says, "Everyone's gotta start somewhere".

The more I read these boards, the more astonished I become. You so-called "Superior" beings always putting down the folks that don't live up to your expectations.

So what? Some guy can't shift properly, he can't launch properly, give the car to someone that appreciates it, he's got a ricer, the paint looks like crap, look at that wing, look at those taillights, he's a retard, and on and on and on.

You guys think you're good at everything you do? Just get in an airplane with me for a little while and I'll show you how little you do know. What that statement means is, some folks do some things better than other things. You may outdrive me on the track, but you will have to get up dang early in the morning to beat my flying. And, I won't put you down because you aren't as good a pilot as I am.

Dang, I'd be half way scared to take my poor 'ole stock '89 where some of you guys hang out for fear I'd get lynched for not having any "MODS".

Sheesh, get a life and quit worrying and bitching at everybody that dosen't meet your high standards of automobile ownership, reflexes, and abilities.

(Running for cover!)
Maroon 5.0 LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 02:23 PM   #8
inferno
The Instigator

Maroon 5.0 LX, I am thinking that you were a bit confused when you woke up and decided to post in this thread. I think that any guy that talks as much $hit as the guy with the mustang did and then only running a 13.9 with nitrous and slicks and skinnies deserves criticizm, especially when he was talking down on some of the Honda's there, some of which ran just as good or faster on street tires. He made a big deal about the nitrous and slicks and then said his car wasn't running right, yet he still made several more passes. The guy in the Supra was bragging about the mods he had and talking down on other "lesser" cars, but he couldn't get his car down the track faster than a 14.4....the car runs faster than that stock. Both of the people deserve the criticizm that I gave them. If they didn't make a big deal about themselves, and brag up the mods that they had and the amount of power that they were making, I wouldn't have made the post in the first place. It's funny how you condemn us about judging people by judging us. Have a nice day.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:49 PM   #9
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

There a joke around the import scene that goes something like this:

"What does a 400hp, 500hp, and 600hp Supra all have in commmon....

...12 sec ET's."

Now, of course this driver takes that joke to a whole new level, but that point is that it seems pretty normal to see high HP Supra's turning horrible strip times. The IRS in that car just flat out sucks for drag strip type launches. But put that car through some twisties or try to race it from a roll, and things are a whole different story.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 09:10 PM   #10
typeR
Registered Member

you what's funny about that supra is over at my home board ...that couldnt happen...a cl type S could never beat a 500whp supra,or a mustang GT or a WS6...fact is some people cant drive there cars to there potential
299$ lowered 1.0/1.25
999$ headers 30 whp

look on there face...pricless
PB 1/4 13.794@101.54
typeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 02:46 PM   #11
inferno
The Instigator

91LX2Bfast, I understand IRS cars are harder to launch(I own one), but that doesn't mean that it can't be done...there are a lot of Supras running 9's and 10's with the IRS with the stock diff. What it comes down to, is what typeR said....most people can't drive their car to it's potential. Now I understand that not everyone is going to reach the full potential of their vehicle, but a 14.4 et with a 119mph trap speed is just plain stupid. There were a couple of older Camaro's, an old Mustang, and a Chevelle that all ran 10's with 12X trap speeds. Sure those were pretty much full drag cars with drag suspension, but he still should have been at least in the high 12's. High 12's would be below the full potential of the car, but more acceptable than a damn mid 14!!!!
Old 08-22-2002, 03:17 PM   #12
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

I also own an IRS car and I totally agree with you.
Yes, of course there are fast drag strip Supras but the joke was just stating that its not too weird to see a very high HP Supra not running well at the track. I agree, most the time its a horrible driver behind the wheel causing the bad Et's. It seems more often then not, the people who can afford to drop $30K+ into a $30K used car aren't the best drivers. And not to just rag on some Supra owners, I've seen the same thing with Vette owners too. EG: modded ZO6's running mid 13's at 120

Last edited by 91LX2Bfast; 08-22-2002 at 03:24 PM..
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 03:36 PM   #13
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

You think that's bad - I've seen a late 80's Fox with a Vortech blown smallblock that supposedly had 600+lb-ft of torque run worse. He ran a 15 at near 130mph on drag radials. While the ET sucked, it was kind of impressive to see him burn out through 4 gears all the way past half-track. He never made traction until late in 4th gear. The reason was he had the full Griggs GR-40 package on it. IRS or not, a car with a stiff handling suspension and a ton of power is going to be tough to run down the 1/4.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote