MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-07-2001, 09:48 PM   #1
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Cool Radio install and Console??? 90 Notch

The radio in my 90 notch does not make any sound. It does make the tape move when inserted and some faint reading from the clock, so I assume it's toast. I have a nice Alpine DIN sized unit to put in. What kind of install kit will I need. This car has the cubby hole where the AMP/EQ was on my 91.

Also thought the console looked strange, then realized it has no arm rest. Looking at the rear of the console it appears it did not originally have one??? the rear piece is smooth with no brackets for the "clamshell" Can I just swap the armrest piece like this on the back??

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Stone stock Two Broken T-5's at the Trans shop now. First Mod removed Silencer at 99,614 miles.
74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 apart in garage, getting a 454 to put next to it
www.chevellepages.com/folingo

[This message has been edited by Chevyguy (edited 03-07-2001).]
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 11:41 AM   #2
Chevyguy

Unhappy

Nobody has any input on the console?? was the armrest optional in 90?? Im puzzled

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Stone stock Two Broken T-5's at the Trans shop now. First Mod removed Silencer at 99,614 miles.
Old 03-09-2001, 12:03 PM   #3
QUIN
Registered Member

they might be ignoring you because of your name,,,,,, ha ha. honestly i dont know if the arm rest was optional, but it sounds kind of sketchy. i wouldnt think itwould be an option item, but i dont know.
as for the radio, did it work when you got the car and then go bad, or did it ever work? they might of pulled a nicer one out and put the stock one back in (not-properly)or something. thats common. as for the face piece to get, mine was done at a shop so i dont know a name, but just measure what you need and find a place that sells, or specializes in the install of stereos and just get something from them to cover any holes showing. mine looks pretty good, and ive used it on two radios after my clarion c.d. player quit working. they both fit so i dont think it will be too hard for you to find one to work.
good luck, hopefully someone who knows more about this will ignore your name (chevy guy) and give you a hand.
Q

------------------
Quin, 87 GT,306,forged pistons,edelbrock head\intak,steeda#18cam,1.7rr,MSD Blaster tfi coil,A9L,pro-m75mm,24#inj,accufab65mm,2.5"pipes,hooker headers,dynomax exhaust,3.73 gr,110 lph fp,180*therm,moroso cold air,ASP pullies, weld rims

The beast has awoken!

I see your shwartz is as big as mine, now lets see how well you handle it!
QUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 02:16 PM   #4
mspears
Registered Member

I am interested in your armrest delete panel.
Would you want to sell?

Thanks,
Mark
mspears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 02:41 PM   #5
Green92LX
Registered Member

The armrest was in fact optional in 1990, and only 1990...look in the new-car brochures at your next local swap meet or something and you'll see it...it's very odd...I guess they learned that people got pissed off pretty quick and put it back in 91.

------------------
1992 5.0 LX, V-1 S-Trim @8LBS, Edelbrock 6037 Heads, Cobra Intake,E-303, 1.6 Roller Rockers,65MM Holley TB, 75 MM Pro M Mass Air, 190 LPH FP w/ 24 lb injectors,MSD 6A and BTM, BBK equal length shorties, offroad h-pipe,Mac Flowpath Mufflers, Pro 5.0, 3.73's,Motorsport "C" springs,welded subframe connectors, Ponies w/ 225/50 Nittos, Dark Green w/ 93 Cobra Spoiler

Daily driver: 89 Coupe with 207K plus, BBK shorties,offroad h-pipe,2-chamber flowmasters with dumps
Green92LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2001, 04:52 PM   #6
Chevyguy

Ahh, yes the info I was looking for. What a weird thing, one year only no arm rest
Yes I would be glad to sell the armrest delete panel once I find a good Titanium grey armrest like the picture I posted.

The radio appears to be a stock one, It is getting power, but apparently is toasted. I just wanna know what is the good kit to get to convert to a DIN radio which is the standard size for any aftermarket ones. I always had to get a big bulky adapter for my GM cars.

The whole car is scary stock, I just trashed the original radiator and hoses a few weeks ago, and just removed the silencer. Still waiting for a working T-5 so I can finally drive the beast and retire my free Cavalier.

Ha that is the first time anyone mentioned my screen name here I am suprized it took that long

------------------
Frank W
Old 03-09-2001, 05:26 PM   #7
cleangreenmachine

The armrest was taken out by Ford for a partial year in an effort to save weight (believe it or not - I was shocked when I read this too). Following a brief period of customer outrage, Ford went back to the old way of doing things a short time after. Looks like you got one of those transition cars.

As far as the stereo, if you get a pair of the Ford removal tools (like $2 at Pep Boys) and pull the radio, you'll notice that the "cubby hole" is attached and pulls out with it. You can buy an install kit for the Mustang at any Best Buy or Circuit City for about $15, which will fill the entire space in your dash. I'm not sure what brand it is - they're all equally chintzy but mine has held up so far. Also it will be bulky like the GM adapter you refer to. Mine required drilling four holes and attaching to the dash with screws, but it looks stock when you get it done.

The bottom half of this new faceplate will have a knock-out panel which you can pop out and put in an EQ if desired. Otherwise, there's just a big flat space below the new stereo. Either way, you'll lose the cubby hole and the valuable spot for change, cigs, and turnpike tickets it used to provide.

Hope this helps...

------------------
Greg
91 LX Convertible

[This message has been edited by cleangreenmachine (edited 03-09-2001).]