MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Blue Oval Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-05-2002, 02:49 AM   #1
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
Thumbs down Do Not Street Race At Port Kells!!!

The guy at my work just read in the newspaper that the police will be sending out un-marked vehicles and watching the races (like you or me would) and then they will impound your car on the spot, and they are trying to put speed bumps in on the roads where people street race around port kells too, so its getting to the point that i will not go back there, even to watch.

later
1984 Bronco II, 36" Michelin Military Tires, 95 EFI 5.0, NP435 Tranny, NP208 Doubler, NP205 Transfer Case, Fill Size Solid Dana 44 Front End, WH Progressive Rate Rock Crawling Coils, Bronco 8.8 Rear, Skyjacker Softride Leafs, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Locker. Final Crawl Ratio Of 175:1

88 GT
Best 60ft. 2.181
Best ET 14.350
Best MPH 98.01
~WRECKED!!!!~
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 09:15 AM   #2
cyberstang5.0
347ci of HORSE POWER!!!

ok, thanks for the info man... next time i visit the great maple leaf country, i'll keep that in mind
cyberstang5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 02:02 PM   #3
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

You mean you guys actually have paved roads up there in Canada?

I thought they called them Mounties instead of police?

Or maybe I'm just the typical ignorant midwesterner
Old 04-05-2002, 08:03 PM   #4
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

ummmm what if people don't realize they put speed bumps in?
imagine hitting a speed bump at 100mph. thats even more hazardous IMO
Old 04-05-2002, 10:14 PM   #5
Ponygirl67
Registered Member

They are cracking down really hard in Canada on street racing as we have had soooo many recent deaths from people who are racing right in the cities in the middle of the day...it is really a shame that so many innocent people are dying ....it is so not cool to street race with six other people in your car.....cause the last time someone died it was the 4 other people not the driver....and now he has to live with killing 4 of his friends cause he was an idiot....it is one thing if you are out in the country and it is a desserted road at night, totally another if it is in the middle of the day on a busy city street and you are just showing off...sorry but this is just my opinion on the subject...why isn't there more strips where there is controlled racing and anyone who wants to can go there and race their cars??????????????

Mare of the Month-April 2002
Ponygirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 10:29 PM   #6
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

Quote:
They are cracking down really hard in Canada on street racing as we have had soooo many recent deaths from people who are racing right in the cities in the middle of the day...it is really a shame that so many innocent people are dying ....it is so not cool to street race with six other people in your car.....cause the last time someone died it was the 4 other people not the driver....and now he has to live with killing 4 of his friends cause he was an idiot....it is one thing if you are out in the country and it is a desserted road at night, totally another if it is in the middle of the day on a busy city street and you are just showing off...sorry but this is just my opinion on the subject...why isn't there more strips where there is controlled racing and anyone who wants to can go there and race their cars??????????????
I agree with u 100%
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 10:34 PM   #7
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Blah blah blah. I hate to break it to people, but car accidents happen. People die. I think we should arrest people driving cars with over 100k on them, because a suspension component could fail or something.

People have a big ol stick up their you know what. Street racing, the evil word of the day.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 10:49 PM   #8
Ponygirl67
Registered Member

Hey, I wasn't cutting down street racing, I am just saying if you want to do it, it should be with some kind of thought involved, like don't have six of your friends in the car and don't do it on a busy street, and that we need more places for it to be done safely, obviously it is something that we aren't going to be able to fully control but at least if there is an option to doing it on busy city streets with innocent people dying then why not try that?

Old 04-05-2002, 11:14 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

You weren't cutting it down, and I wasn't condoning it.

It's the hype of the day, though. Politicians and idiots come out of the woodwork for crap like this. They find one thing at a time they can eliminate to "protect" people.

Anything that is remotely fun, and could possibly be dangerous needs to be controlled by the government. They eliminate all the dragstrips for 300mi, and wonder why street racing is becoming popular?

Average Joe Schmoe with his Beige Toyota Camry has no problems stopping those maniacs on watercraft, or snowmobiles, or ATV's, or fast cars, etc etc etc. People who have those things need to be controlled because they don't fit the status quo. Your car's too loud, but my 180 decibel Harley is fine. I'm tired of crackdowns. Bust it down in the city. Fine. Bust it down on busy roads. Fine. Don't even think about a crackdown because people are wiping out on their own. Their choice, their car, their lives. People want to ride with them? Fine. Their risk.

Pretty soon Al Gore's world will become a reality, and he won't even have to help in it. Al Gore "I invented the world as it is today" All houses are exactly the same. Almond with light brown moulding. Everybody drives an econobox 4 door white or beige automobile running on electric power. Electricity is generated by windmills. There are 3 different shifts. 12-8, 8-4, and 4-12. You work one of them. You must wear a neatly pressed white shirt with a collar, and you must have a black tie. Black dress pants are required for men, long black skirts for women. Your hair cannot be longer than shoulder length, and it must be brown. Makeup is not allowed. Shoes must be black and polished. Everybody get where I'm going with this?
Old 04-05-2002, 11:31 PM   #10
Ponygirl67
Registered Member

Totally agree on all points you have made...I just wonder on the point of deciding to ride with friends that drag, is that their choice? Sometimes, yes, other times..... I know as a teenager, (which was forever ago) I was in a situation that the driver decided what would happen and didn't give the passengers a choice. Luckily for me I lived thru it. I totally agree that closing down the strips and taking away any option that kids have leaves them on their own to race in dangerous situations, and in some cases that is part of the thrill and they wouldn't go to the track if there was one accessible anyways. There really is no solution, but I hate to think that one of my kids are going to be one of the statistics because of someone elses stupidity...

Old 04-07-2002, 05:28 AM   #11
Friedchicken
Registered Member

Unit 5302, why is this a political debate? Can't you just accept that sometimes you have to do what you can and is reasonable to save lives?

In responce to your analogy about steering/suspension components on a 100k mi/km car... there are laws for that. You cannot drive an unsafe vehicle at any point- not just when you transfer ownership I.e. A saftey.

As well- there are laws about careless driving I.e. Street racing. If all the ricers and street racers would stick to industrial roads on weekends or backroads in the country instead of during traffic and in residential streets- then they wouldn't have brough street racing into the lime light and therfore not be an issue.

Does your city/county/town/province/state have RIDE programs? Where a line of cops funnel traffic to check for DWI's on a Friday night? Is that a political agenda also?

Anytime that pressure gets put on street racing in any form, it's a good idea. You never know- it may be your mom/father/daughter/son/BEST FRIEND that gets killed. Don't say it will never happen (Famous last words, my friend)

To also respond on legislating/controlling anything fun/semi-dangerous... wake up and look around. People NEED a babysitter cause they can't 1)control the circumstances 2)take responsibility 3)respect others.

I'm not saying all 100% of people need a leash, but even if only 10% do- that is worth having the law look out for the rest of the 90%

Last edited by Friedchicken; 04-07-2002 at 05:43 AM..
Friedchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 05:47 AM   #12
Friedchicken
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fiveohpatrol
You mean you guys actually have paved roads up there in Canada?

I thought they called them Mounties instead of police?

Or maybe I'm just the typical ignorant midwesterner
Haha... ya- we just paved the roads last year... and we call them cops or RCMP. No one here calls them mounties unless they are in cerimonial dress and on parade
Old 04-07-2002, 11:16 AM   #13
crewzin
Registered Member

Default YA RIGHT

You know if we ask all the drunks and drug runners to just ride in the right lane........
Ya right. People have always street raced. But it used to be done in a manner that minimized deaths....atleast of spectators. The government is slowly trying to control every hobby or sport that requires physical use of your limbs and mind. Maybe we should all just stay inside and see who can type the fastest.
I am sorry for everyone who has been affected by racing on streets. But this zero tolorence crap is spreading to everything slowly. Sooner or later if will be used for everything, and then what. Everyone will be a felon.

Fine crack down on street racing by catching the racers, if you can. I think this will lead the other way because i know if i was watching a race and the cops were coming to tow and then sale my car, im running. And now they are saying the race tracks are harboring the street racers and encouraging them to race outside the track.
So now they are trying to shut down the track that I go to legally race. Thats not going to happen without a fight.
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 04:08 PM   #14
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Friedchicken
Unit 5302, why is this a political debate? Can't you just accept that sometimes you have to do what you can and is reasonable to save lives?

In responce to your analogy about steering/suspension components on a 100k mi/km car... there are laws for that. You cannot drive an unsafe vehicle at any point- not just when you transfer ownership I.e. A saftey.

As well- there are laws about careless driving I.e. Street racing. If all the ricers and street racers would stick to industrial roads on weekends or backroads in the country instead of during traffic and in residential streets- then they wouldn't have brough street racing into the lime light and therfore not be an issue.

Does your city/county/town/province/state have RIDE programs? Where a line of cops funnel traffic to check for DWI's on a Friday night? Is that a political agenda also?

Anytime that pressure gets put on street racing in any form, it's a good idea. You never know- it may be your mom/father/daughter/son/BEST FRIEND that gets killed. Don't say it will never happen (Famous last words, my friend)

To also respond on legislating/controlling anything fun/semi-dangerous... wake up and look around. People NEED a babysitter cause they can't 1)control the circumstances 2)take responsibility 3)respect others.

I'm not saying all 100% of people need a leash, but even if only 10% do- that is worth having the law look out for the rest of the 90%
You're wrong. Dead wrong, and your attitude sickens me. There needs to be an island for people like you. Lemmings, nothing more. Without reason, thought, or debate you simply make decisions as if it was your choice to judge people as a whole? You're the same kind of idiot listening to sob stories, and basing your decision not on right or wrong, but on whoever has the most heartwrenching tale. I'm sick of you idiots. Where do you come from? Is there a way for us to keep you from breeding?

Why don't you get rid of that GT convertable? You don't deserve to drive it. There is no legitimate reason to own a GT vs a 6cyl. What do you want the extra power for? If you're using the extra power, which you are or you wouldn't have purchased it, then you're nothing more than a hypocritical, self righteous, moron.

You show you unending stupidity by bringing my statement about older cars being banned from the roads because they are dangerous, BUT I DID NOT SAY THAT . I drive a 1987 Mustang GT with 160,000 miles on it. It's a safe car, maintained and roadworthy. My comment, which you so stupidly attempted to manipulate, was pointing out the inherent problems with grouping people together based on a isolated or unusual circumstance. If you think I'm going to let you manipulate what I say, you're sadly mistaken. People do NOT need to be controlled, Mr. Communist. They need to be free to enjoy their life and pursuit of happiness.

Your ridiculous question as to why I made this a political issue is answered with, IT IS A POLITICAL ISSUE. Why don't you pull your head out of your rear end (I'm not talking cars here, buddy), and learn to make decisions based on a little research, instead of what some news anchor or politician tells you? Why would you even attempt to debate me? You're obviously incapable of thinking for yourself, and as such, you're horribly unprepared to even think about starting a debate with me.

When you learn to think for yourself, gain real experience in issues, or do some unbiased research, you can try and debate me. Until then, you're the ricer of today's issues in society, and I will give you not one shred of credit.
Old 04-07-2002, 05:17 PM   #15
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

There's a certain amount of "don't ask -- don't tell" built-in to our legal system. It's what allows you to sometimes do 80 in a 65 on a deserted highway without being stopped by the cop you blew past. It's a judgement call on the part of the police.

By cracking down on street racing, it means more severe penalties for those that are caught. This is a good thing for the most part. If you take measures to not get caught, odds are you're not endangering anyone while racing. The system works.
Jeb_Bush_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 06:51 PM   #16
Rev
Registered Member

Jesus, Unit, get a grip.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 07:01 PM   #17
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Well apparently I have a totally different view on crackdowns. Here is the reality. The government steps in by creating some ultra restrictive laws that give ultimate power to the police. Then they release a frenzy of unmarked squads onto the streets specifically targeting street racing, whether it's organized or unorganized. The laws like the one passed in FL that allow the officer to make a judgment call on zero or obscure evidence chews away at the ideals this country was founded on.

Cracking down on 100% of the people to get the 1% causing trouble is wrong. Next time you might roll away from a stop sign a little quick on a seldom used country road, and an unmarked cop in a white Grand Am might pull you over for street racing. If that should happen, you let me know how just you think the system is when you're convicted of a felony.

It's high time real issues were addressed on the roads. Like not letting drunk drivers back onto them again and again. Street racing a felony, but drunk driving isn't? Maybe you'd like to compare mortality statistics between the two? Our government, and people like friedchicken (I know he's a Canadian) decide they should crack down on whatever the topic of the day is. Get out the big stick! I want to wave it around in the air and stomp on the ground for a while. Seeing the big picture is more important to me. The big picture says rights, freedoms, and fun are being stripped away one at a time. The government does it slowly so people don't see the whole picture. They're too busy hopping onto the bandwagon to notice what's really going on. As a society, we need to put pressure on crazy urban street racing. We don't need the government to hold our hands. They keep giving police more and more power. They strip more and more fun away because it's not a "norm" of society. Making norms into laws is risky business. Hopefully, there will be a bit of an uprising.

Last edited by Unit 5302; 04-07-2002 at 07:10 PM..
Old 04-07-2002, 07:16 PM   #18
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Sit back and watch it all slip away if you want to Rev. When you wake up one day and they pass a law to come impound your car, don't come crying to me.

I have a total grip, and I have a reason to be ticked off. It's not like this is the first time in the past few days some cop or other wannabe political activist has popped up to tell me and the rest of the board how it is. In this case, like most of the others, it's a bunch of political hot air. If nobody steps up to debate or discredit it, then nobody has a right to complain when these laws get passed.

I vote, I speak, and I type. Maybe you'd be a little more hyped up about this kind of stuff if you lived in Minnesota, where they've been cracking down on every sport, recreational activity, and hobby. I'm tired of it.
Old 04-07-2002, 07:17 PM   #19
Jeb_Bush_2000
Registered Member

I was just offering an alternate viewpoint.

Besides, if cops want to be jerks, they're going to be jerks regardless of what measures the government is taking to eliminate street racing. If a state trooper in an unmarked car wants to pull me over because I took off from a stop sign, he's going to find an excuse to. But...that's why we have courts.

Was I arguing for these laws? No. They do cause trouble for even us law-abiding enthusiasts. However, I don't drive in a way that will get me tossed in jail or get my license suspended.
Most of the time.
Jeb_Bush_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 07:32 PM   #20
Rev
Registered Member

Actually, Unit, I agree with you on the need for civil liberties. It was only when you called others idiots, that i thought you were somewhat out of line.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote