MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-06-2002, 12:21 PM   #1
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Default Playing with a '00 SS

Went out to meet my buddy who has a '00 SS Camaro with the 6 speed. We raced back to my house on some super windy backroads. 20-25mph corners and straights long enough to just top 100mph. I was able to gain a good lead through the corners and my exit speeds were fast enough that I was actually pulling on him in the straights as far as I can tell, too. It was nice to hear this come out of his mouth: "Your car is fast. I can't keep up in the windy parts."
Now I just need the blower to crush him in the straights, too. By the way, we have drag raced each other a little and I can beat him to 60 or 80 sometimes, but after that he walks me.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 12:48 PM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Sounds like you had some fun. Good Kill. Glad you could show them LS-1's some tail lights.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 01:04 PM   #3
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Awesome!

BTW, how do you like your tubular K-member? I was thinking that might be my next mod, along with some swaybars. For the money it's gonna cost, though, I'd like to be sure I'll notice a dramatic difference? Does your car handle a ton better with the tubular Kmember in place? Thanks.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 05:05 PM   #4
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Stoplight: I love the k-member. Although I can't say exactly how much difference the k-member by itself made because I added the coilovers, Tokicos, Steeda front sway bar, caster/camber plates, and tubular arms all at the same time. What I can say is that my turn-in feels much quicker and easier than on my friend's '94 Cobra that had comparable spring rates and other suspension parts, but without the tubular k-member and arms. Basically, I haven't experienced any understeer whatsoever since I added this stuff. You wouldn't believe it's a Mustang the way it turns in. Recently I was also able to hang with a new Porsche Carrera that was hauling some serious butt on the twisties until my brakes overheated and I had to let it go.
I supposedly dropped about 90 lbs off the front with the k-member, arms, and the hollow aluminum sway bar. Helps to transfer the weight on the launches, too.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:17 PM   #5
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blue00gt
Stoplight: I love the k-member. Although I can't say exactly how much difference the k-member by itself made because I added the coilovers, Tokicos, Steeda front sway bar, caster/camber plates, and tubular arms all at the same time. What I can say is that my turn-in feels much quicker and easier than on my friend's '94 Cobra that had comparable spring rates and other suspension parts, but without the tubular k-member and arms. Basically, I haven't experienced any understeer whatsoever since I added this stuff. You wouldn't believe it's a Mustang the way it turns in. Recently I was also able to hang with a new Porsche Carrera that was hauling some serious butt on the twisties until my brakes overheated and I had to let it go.
I supposedly dropped about 90 lbs off the front with the k-member, arms, and the hollow aluminum sway bar. Helps to transfer the weight on the launches, too.
Sweet! Can I ask how much I should expect to pay for a complete Tubular K-member/a-arm, coilover kit? Also, did you do the install yourself, or have a shop do it? If a shop did, how much did they charge? Thanks for the help!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
Old 05-06-2002, 07:02 PM   #6
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

The price seems to vary quite a bit depending on who you get it from. The drag racing k-members tend to run alot cheaper and are lighter, but they are not as laterally stiff as those sold by Griggs racing, Kenny Brown, and Maximum Motorsports. I have a D&D Motorsports k-member (not the drag-only, the street/strip model) and arms because they were one of the few companies that made one for the newer cars at the time I bought it and I couldn't afford the Griggs setup at the time. I think I paid around $700 for the k-member, tubular arms, and coilover kit. Since my main aim with my car is to carve corners, in hindsight I would probably get one of the roadracing setups I mentioned above. Again, those are not as light as some of the others but are probably better for cornering loads and a bit more durable should you run into anything.
I bent my stock k-member in an accident when the car was fairly new, so all the labor was done by the body shop and paid for by insurance. I'll take a look at the final estimate when I get home this evening and see if I can make sense enough of the R&I labor to give you an idea of what it should cost if you were to have it done at a shop.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:34 PM   #7
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Quote:
The price seems to vary quite a bit depending on who you get it from. The drag racing k-members tend to run alot cheaper and are lighter, but they are not as laterally stiff as those sold by Griggs racing, Kenny Brown, and Maximum Motorsports. I have a D&D Motorsports k-member (not the drag-only, the street/strip model) and arms because they were one of the few companies that made one for the newer cars at the time I bought it and I couldn't afford the Griggs setup at the time. I think I paid around $700 for the k-member, tubular arms, and coilover kit. Since my main aim with my car is to carve corners, in hindsight I would probably get one of the roadracing setups I mentioned above. Again, those are not as light as some of the others but are probably better for cornering loads and a bit more durable should you run into anything.
I bent my stock k-member in an accident when the car was fairly new, so all the labor was done by the body shop and paid for by insurance. I'll take a look at the final estimate when I get home this evening and see if I can make sense enough of the R&I labor to give you an idea of what it should cost if you were to have it done at a shop.
Cool, thanks, let me know.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:10 PM   #8
sedanman
Registered Member

Sounds like you had some fun!

I to am thinking of adding a k-member and a-arms but not for the handiling, for the weight reduction. How long have you had it all on? How has it all held up to road use. Thanks.

GONE 1991 Lx sedan 5.0, 5spd (Liberty proshifted TKO) S-trim, Ported TF heads everything parted out.
sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 11:56 AM   #9
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

I've had the stuff on for about 10K miles. The roads are really rough around here and I have 350lb/in coilovers in the front. So far so good with the k-member. No rattling or noises from the cowl area, either.
Old 05-07-2002, 02:57 PM   #10
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Default Re: Playing with a '00 SS

Quote:
By the way, we have drag raced each other a little and I can beat him to 60 or 80 sometimes, but after that he walks me.

It sounds like you have a sweet car!!!

Sounds about right with the drag race with the LS1. You need to talk with Mercury b/c he can take LS1's to 110mph.

'87 GT..5 spd...Stock...14.4 @ 97 SOLD

'90 GT Conv. A4 Cream Puff...14.6 @ 94 SOLD

'99 Z28..A4..Stock stall, no tuning, all motor, full weight 11.92 @ 117.95 SOLD

'03 Centennal Edition GT 5 spd. 1 of 620 5 spd coupes made.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/99-04/03/100th.htm

Stock.....
13.89 @ 99.03

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/99-04/03/100th.htm
EZRIDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 03:30 AM   #11
FivepointOH
Registered Member

Default Re: Re: Playing with a '00 SS

Quote:
Originally posted by EZRIDN

It sounds like you have a sweet car!!!

Sounds about right with the drag race with the LS1. You need to talk with Mercury b/c he can take LS1's to 110mph.
\

With less mods than you too!
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34

Lakewood 90/10's and 50/50's
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: