MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Stang Stories (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Playing with a '00 SS (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=23309)

blue00gt 05-06-2002 12:21 PM

Playing with a '00 SS

Went out to meet my buddy who has a '00 SS Camaro with the 6 speed. We raced back to my house on some super windy backroads. 20-25mph corners and straights long enough to just top 100mph. I was able to gain a good lead through the corners and my exit speeds were fast enough that I was actually pulling on him in the straights as far as I can tell, too. It was nice to hear this come out of his mouth: "Your car is fast. I can't keep up in the windy parts."
Now I just need the blower to crush him in the straights, too. By the way, we have drag raced each other a little and I can beat him to 60 or 80 sometimes, but after that he walks me.

Mercury 05-06-2002 12:48 PM

Sounds like you had some fun. Good Kill. Glad you could show them LS-1's some tail lights.
;)

StoplightWarrior 05-06-2002 01:04 PM

Awesome!

BTW, how do you like your tubular K-member? I was thinking that might be my next mod, along with some swaybars. For the money it's gonna cost, though, I'd like to be sure I'll notice a dramatic difference? Does your car handle a ton better with the tubular Kmember in place? Thanks.

blue00gt 05-06-2002 05:05 PM

Stoplight: I love the k-member. Although I can't say exactly how much difference the k-member by itself made because I added the coilovers, Tokicos, Steeda front sway bar, caster/camber plates, and tubular arms all at the same time. What I can say is that my turn-in feels much quicker and easier than on my friend's '94 Cobra that had comparable spring rates and other suspension parts, but without the tubular k-member and arms. Basically, I haven't experienced any understeer whatsoever since I added this stuff. You wouldn't believe it's a Mustang the way it turns in. Recently I was also able to hang with a new Porsche Carrera that was hauling some serious butt on the twisties until my brakes overheated and I had to let it go.
I supposedly dropped about 90 lbs off the front with the k-member, arms, and the hollow aluminum sway bar. Helps to transfer the weight on the launches, too.

StoplightWarrior 05-06-2002 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by blue00gt
Stoplight: I love the k-member. Although I can't say exactly how much difference the k-member by itself made because I added the coilovers, Tokicos, Steeda front sway bar, caster/camber plates, and tubular arms all at the same time. What I can say is that my turn-in feels much quicker and easier than on my friend's '94 Cobra that had comparable spring rates and other suspension parts, but without the tubular k-member and arms. Basically, I haven't experienced any understeer whatsoever since I added this stuff. You wouldn't believe it's a Mustang the way it turns in. Recently I was also able to hang with a new Porsche Carrera that was hauling some serious butt on the twisties until my brakes overheated and I had to let it go.
I supposedly dropped about 90 lbs off the front with the k-member, arms, and the hollow aluminum sway bar. Helps to transfer the weight on the launches, too.

Sweet! Can I ask how much I should expect to pay for a complete Tubular K-member/a-arm, coilover kit? Also, did you do the install yourself, or have a shop do it? If a shop did, how much did they charge? Thanks for the help!

blue00gt 05-06-2002 07:02 PM

The price seems to vary quite a bit depending on who you get it from. The drag racing k-members tend to run alot cheaper and are lighter, but they are not as laterally stiff as those sold by Griggs racing, Kenny Brown, and Maximum Motorsports. I have a D&D Motorsports k-member (not the drag-only, the street/strip model) and arms because they were one of the few companies that made one for the newer cars at the time I bought it and I couldn't afford the Griggs setup at the time. I think I paid around $700 for the k-member, tubular arms, and coilover kit. Since my main aim with my car is to carve corners, in hindsight I would probably get one of the roadracing setups I mentioned above. Again, those are not as light as some of the others but are probably better for cornering loads and a bit more durable should you run into anything.
I bent my stock k-member in an accident when the car was fairly new, so all the labor was done by the body shop and paid for by insurance. I'll take a look at the final estimate when I get home this evening and see if I can make sense enough of the R&I labor to give you an idea of what it should cost if you were to have it done at a shop.

StoplightWarrior 05-06-2002 08:34 PM

Quote:

The price seems to vary quite a bit depending on who you get it from. The drag racing k-members tend to run alot cheaper and are lighter, but they are not as laterally stiff as those sold by Griggs racing, Kenny Brown, and Maximum Motorsports. I have a D&D Motorsports k-member (not the drag-only, the street/strip model) and arms because they were one of the few companies that made one for the newer cars at the time I bought it and I couldn't afford the Griggs setup at the time. I think I paid around $700 for the k-member, tubular arms, and coilover kit. Since my main aim with my car is to carve corners, in hindsight I would probably get one of the roadracing setups I mentioned above. Again, those are not as light as some of the others but are probably better for cornering loads and a bit more durable should you run into anything.
I bent my stock k-member in an accident when the car was fairly new, so all the labor was done by the body shop and paid for by insurance. I'll take a look at the final estimate when I get home this evening and see if I can make sense enough of the R&I labor to give you an idea of what it should cost if you were to have it done at a shop.

Cool, thanks, let me know.

sedanman 05-06-2002 09:10 PM

Sounds like you had some fun!

I to am thinking of adding a k-member and a-arms but not for the handiling, for the weight reduction. How long have you had it all on? How has it all held up to road use. Thanks.

blue00gt 05-07-2002 11:56 AM

I've had the stuff on for about 10K miles. The roads are really rough around here and I have 350lb/in coilovers in the front. So far so good with the k-member. No rattling or noises from the cowl area, either.

EZRIDN 05-07-2002 02:57 PM

Re: Playing with a '00 SS

Quote:

By the way, we have drag raced each other a little and I can beat him to 60 or 80 sometimes, but after that he walks me.

It sounds like you have a sweet car!!!

Sounds about right with the drag race with the LS1. You need to talk with Mercury b/c he can take LS1's to 110mph.

FivepointOH 05-08-2002 03:30 AM

Re: Re: Playing with a '00 SS

Quote:

Originally posted by EZRIDN

It sounds like you have a sweet car!!!

Sounds about right with the drag race with the LS1. You need to talk with Mercury b/c he can take LS1's to 110mph.

\

With less mods than you too!