MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-26-2001, 01:22 PM   #1
joey50gt
Registered Member

Talking VORTECH vs.POWDYNE

what is better the vortech a trim or a 9lb powerdyne? which one will give me more power at the wheels?
Is the powerdyne really that much easier to install than the vortech? Do you have to jerk the engine to put the oil line in the oil pan or can it be done with out jerking the engine out.
Thanks ahead of time for any help given?
joey50gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 03:37 PM   #2
Mustanguy

Cool

Vortech A-trim

You make a hole in the oil pan while the motor is still in car,no big deal

------------------

Paxton Blown 87GT
Old 06-26-2001, 07:00 PM   #3
JRowlette
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Go with the vortech, much more reliable. Putting the hole in the oil pan isn't too bad, just follow the directions. Good luck.
JRowlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 02:10 AM   #4
smokedchevy
Registered Member

If you're going to drag race at all, Vortech hands down. Ultimately the PD will give you more power only because it's a 9#er. However the A-trim is easily upgraded to 10 #s. The PD is silent and the Vortech sounds bad!! Get the Vortech!!

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
smokedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 02:13 AM   #5
smokedchevy
Registered Member

If you're going to drag race at all, Vortech hands down. Ultimately the PD will give you more power only because it's a 9#er. However the A-trim is easily upgraded to 10 #s. The PD is silent and the Vortech sounds bad!! Get the Vortech!! The oil sending line screws into the block where the pressure sender is, and the return line is just a hole drilled into your pan to return oil. It's very simple for anyone with mechanical skills.

------------------
92 GT, 4:10 gears, centerforce clutch, 6# powerdyne blower, bbk h-pipe, flowmasters
Old 06-27-2001, 02:19 AM   #6
84_GT350
Registered Member

Go with the Vortech. Those older design 9# Powerdynes have had problems with belt breakage (they may have improved this in recent years) which is not even an issue with the Vortech. Plus if you plan on racing at all the Vortech is a must. Powerdyne's have big problems if they're spun past their rpm limit.

------------------
1984 1/2 GT350 (#842 Hatchback w/ T-tops), 302HO, Comp cams Xtreme Energy cam, Carter 625cfm carb, Weiand Stealth intake, MSD distributor, MSD coil, FMS 9mm wires, 1 5/8" MAC unequal shorties, 2 1/2" MAC Prochamber H-pipe, Flowmaster 2 chambers, KYBs, 16"x8" 4 lug Cobra Rs, Falken 245/45ZR16s
84_GT350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 03:31 AM   #7
WADS56
gear banger

The A-trim is a tough little blower. People over spin it and it still holds up for a long time. The upgrade program is nice to.

------------------
347 W/ A-trim 6#'s, Canfield heads, out of the box Victor 5.0 intake, solid roller cam. 11.1 @123mph 1.46 60FT

93lx 5.0 daily driver
MY CAR http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/...splay.cgi?1288
WADS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 05:21 PM   #8
crewzin
Registered Member

I dont have any experience with the Vortech but I bought a used Powerdyne a year ago and its been great. I upgraded it with the 11 lbs. pulley and the ASP 7" crank pulley. I dropped two seconds off a 91 auto vert. Its quiet and easy to install. A real sleeper on the street.Its designed for low end torque which is great for jumps at the light but I believe the other superchargers will make more for racing.
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 09:38 PM   #9
DaveR_GT
Registered Member

The 'if you plan on racing' argument doesn't fly with me, cause if you wanted to race you'd likely be looking at an S-trim at least.

Either blower will work fine. And you don't have to pull the engine to install either. I have a Powerdyne and have no problems. Don't let the broken belt problem bother you, they took care of that problem long ago.

------------------
'92 GT conv.
TFS heads, GT40, Powerdyne 9#, AOD, 3.73
My Mustang Page
DaveR_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 10:55 PM   #10
1995MGTS
Registered Member

As much as I like my PD, I think the A-trim has more potential and is more reliable. As was said, I think the internal belt failures don't occur as often with the newer BD-11A model, like mine. As for power output, if you have the right combo and a decent tuner, you can make decent power, even with 6lbs of boost. See my sig for my best dyno numbers. Currently, I am waiting on a custom ASP 7" crank pulley and RACE systems Power pipe to up my boost and numbers. I can keep my warranty that way and hopefully hit 400+rwhp with my little 6lb PD :}

------------------
FMS/Powerdyne 6psi SC, 73mm maf, 65mm TB, Cobra u/l intake, 24lb inj, 1.7" rockers, GT-40Y aluminum heads, Steeda #19 cam, MAC 1 5/8" long-tubes, MAC 2 1/2" pro-chamber, Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers, MAC 2 1/2" chromed exhaust, BBK 255lph fuel pump, FMS aluminum drive shaft, FMS 3.55 gears, and custom chip dyno-tuned by Swanson Performance. 391.0rwhp/377.5 rwtq SAE corrected
1995MGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 12:27 AM   #11
PKRWUD

I've known many dissatisfied PD owners, and equally as many satisfied Vortech owners. The biggest complaint I am aware of with PD is them not standing behind their products.

Smokedchevy-
Ventura, huh? I was a regular on this board until about a year ago, and you're the only other person from Ventura I've seen on here. of course there's always Sky in Ojai. Where are you in Vta? Do you ever go to the Sprint car races? I crew for the 88 car (senior sprints point leader!!).
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 02:06 AM   #12
smokedchevy
Registered Member

Smile

Wsup PKRWUD? I live by Toys R Us, I also work there. I have a 92 GT that's red with centerline convo pros on it. Have you seen it? I'm probably going to start going to the sprints, because we hired this new guy who crews for one of those cars. I'm not sure which one. Anyways, he wants to build one of those cars and I'm going to help him.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:55 AM   #13
SN95Gt426
Registered Member

vortech A trim

please dont buy the powerdyne. you will regret it. You punch a hole in the pan do not drill it.
SN95Gt426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2001, 02:04 PM   #14
PKRWUD

Thumbs up

Smoked- I used to drop by Toys about once a week looking for bill Elliott diecasts, but since they rearranged it there doesn't seem to be much. As far as Sprints go, it's alot of work! They don't have transmissions or starters, but do have 8 throttle plates and a "pill" to control the flow of alcohol. Suspension set up is where it's all at. A weak car that's set up right for the track conditions will smoke a rocket that's too loose or too tight. Also, keep in mind those suckers aren't cheap to maintain. The trick is to grab a few good sponsors for things like fuel and tires. Find out who your friend works for and let me know. Tell him you met someone who crews for Porter (88).

Take care
~Chris

------------------
Retired Moderator
MustangNet

RACECAR spelled backwards is RACECAR

HEY !!! Are you ASE Certified ??? If you are, ask me about iATN. The best tool you'll ever have, and it's free !!!
Old 06-28-2001, 02:08 PM   #15
PKRWUD

Smoked- I just started my first website a couple weeks ago, and it's full of great pictures from the track. Check it out and email me and tell me what you think: http://homepage.mac.com/pkrwud/
pkrwuds@pacbell.net