MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Stang Stories (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Subaru WRX (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=22828)

89 Cobra LX 04-26-2002 08:32 AM

Subaru WRX

A guy (ricer) I work with is picking up his brand new WRX today. He's finally figured out that his riced out Civic is a turd. So, of course, he wants a piece of the Stang (appearantly me and my car are a bit of celebrity around the office, which is odd considering I rarely drive it to work).

WRX
227 HP @ 6000
217 TQ @ 4000

Those are some pretty nice #s for a 4-banger. I know he'll kill me off the line since it's AWD. I'm pretty sure I will reel him in.

Anyone know what these are running at the track?

Are they easily modified? Can someone simply turn up the boost on one of these?

95mustanggt 04-26-2002 09:02 AM

I've heard everything from "they run 14's stock" to "if you add some small rice gadget, they will run 13's or even 12's"

I think stock they are mid 14 second cars. But I haven't seen one run at the track.

lyonsd 04-26-2002 10:27 AM

You've got a 5.0 with heads, cam, intake, gears, blah, blah, blah, ...and you're wondering if you can beat a WRX?

Don't worry, as they say in New Joisey, "you'll moida da bum".

89 Cobra LX 04-26-2002 10:53 AM

worried?

I never said I was worried. Just curious about the real-world performance of these cars. After all, this is no 108hp Civic.:D

StoplightWarrior 04-26-2002 01:05 PM

They launch like mofo's but they only trap like 93-94. So they'll run a mid 14, but it's all in the 60'

You'll take him.

FivepointOH 04-26-2002 02:53 PM

My friend has an aod with stock gears, pulleys and full exhaust only. We ran one from a roll and they where about even... you should slaughter him, i'd say mid 14 car if from a stop... run from a roll though, I doubt they trap very high, awd sucks up a lot of hp.

EZRIDN 04-26-2002 03:00 PM

Re: Subaru WRX

Quote:

Originally posted by 89 Cobra LX

Anyone know what these are running at the track?

Are they easily modified? Can someone simply turn up the boost on one of these?

Well considering i go to the track 2 times a week i see quite a few there. They run anywhere from low 14's at like 94 mph to very high 13's with some small mods. The key to getting them to run is giving it alot of RPMs at the line...kind of like the AWD Eclipses'.

At the same time i have out 60 footed some in my 86 GT. So it comes down i guess to how much he is willing to abuse it. IF he dumps it at a high RPM, i'd say it will run a low low 14. Let us know what happens.

Rev 04-26-2002 06:38 PM

I lined up against a new WRX at the track twice. He was a nice enough guy and I talked to him in the staging lanes while we were waiting. At HRP, you only get your own time slip on Fridays, (supposed to give some stealth for test & tune).

The guy with the WRX told me he was running 14.23 @ 93. We both knew I would blow his doors off, so each time it wasn't any suprise. He never got me off the line either and I run only a 2.10 for a 60' time.

Of course I have a hundred HP on him at about the same weight, so even with his little turbo, it really isn't a fair race.

Rev

Reipen 04-27-2002 02:51 PM

i lost to one the other day =(

I run a 95 vert gt with an aode. He boasted a 13.4 to my 14.4 my 60 ft was a 2.2 while he was a 2.1. The major thing that i saw was an aftermarket intercooler on that thing.

BlueMust5089 04-28-2002 03:37 AM

Are you sure it was an aftermarket intercoler? where was it mounted ? and how big was it?

Coupe5oh 04-28-2002 07:26 PM

Man, read my post about me getting pulled, these things arent extreme, but for a 4door 4banger, i was a bit surprised, this guy had exhaust, some intake, more boost, it was weird he would let it idle for a certain time before he would run, some kind of ignition thing i guess? but he knew how to abuse the clutch real good with built up boost, i launched on the street, and hooked, that felt about like a 1.8 60'... and he was right with me all the way until i missed 4th, i never ran him after that.:(

so if you have a run with one, and you dont know him, you might just get spanked, for us stocker guys anyway.

It's no holds barred when i drop the clutch next time:)

Nitrous Al 04-30-2002 04:12 PM

Eric, just make sure you're car is running great and rip his head off when you race him! You'll win this race and send him back to his Subaru dealer crying like a baby.

mysweetlx 05-02-2002 03:36 PM

Eric, no sweat with your current mods. They're nice cars putting out nice #'s and have kicka$$ traction - making for excellent launches, but they're really only competition for stock or slightly modded stangs. I've seen 4 of them run at the track and none of them was below 13.9.

ReefBlueCoupe 05-02-2002 04:11 PM

Re: worried?

Quote:

Originally posted by 89 Cobra LX
I never said I was worried. Just curious about the real-world performance of these cars. After all, this is no 108hp Civic.:D
you are slightly worried, or else you would not have posted that he wants a piece of the stang.. then asked what kind of times these cars run..

anyways, you should smoke him.

Coupe5oh 05-02-2002 11:49 PM

Yea they are competition for stangs like mine, but considering the guy i ran runs 13.2's, I did well until I missed 4th, wich is past a 1/4 mi for my car, my car is suffering high rpm power loss, the valve springs are getting replaced, or better yet the whole cyl heads will be replaced with some wp aluminums, soon as the budget allows, just trying to get other needed stuff like bigger fuelpump and regulator, injtrs, gears ect..

Rev 05-03-2002 12:19 AM

Coupe 50, I would be VERY SUPRISED to see any WRX's running 13.2's. That would be a full second faster than any stock ones I've seen.

Rev

Coupe5oh 05-04-2002 12:11 AM

rev, thats his best time, at 101 mph, he runs in the 13.4-13.6 range all day, yea its all traction, but still, not fun playing catch up on a 4 banger, i hung with him though, the boost can be raised on these cars, and homemade parts can be made for these cars easily, if the guy knows what he's doing.

in a few years there will probaly be common 12 sec wrx's around, i hope not, we'll see how durable they actually are.

Jerry95TSI 05-07-2002 12:30 PM

warning to all the mid 12 sec stangs beware of all turbo 4 bangers..

Just to let that guys that dont belive WRX can haul. there are already a few people knocking on the door of 11's in daily driven cars. 1 sec in turbo 4 banger is nothing.. a little added boost some timing and a filter will net you close to a second with a good driver. As for low 13's thats very easy in a car like that. DSM do it all th time.. my car ran 15.3 stock and with some more boost and air filter went 14.1@96 with a 2.1 60.. so that was bad driving on my part. Some of you will see the time in my signature. it was the first time out with the new fuel system and still running low boost and pump gas. So a warning to all the mid 12 sec stangs beware of all turbo 4 bangers.. especially if you see a front mount intercooler.

Coupe5oh 05-07-2002 11:52 PM

I hang out with some dsm guys, sometimes, one guy goes 15.99 with no 2nd gear, and another goes 14.4's, but they have been known to beat some faster cars, seen a few at the track running 12's, fastest wrx i seen so far is 12.8 with stock turbo, but also on the street the same guy got spanked bye a 427 solid roller cammed 69 camaro, and i have the vid.:D

gtsr515 05-08-2002 12:41 AM

Been looking at this post for some time now, you guys better look out for the new WRX STi, 0-60 in 5.5 and the new Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII, 0-60 in 4.8, they are coming soon. Tons of mods are available, oversees models are running easy 11's.