MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   was there ever such thing as an early hartop mustang with a cobra engine? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=21570)

domingo 04-01-2002 01:45 PM

was there ever such thing as an early hartop mustang with a cobra engine?

Hi folks!

I´m really a Mopar nut (I own a 71 Challenger and a 71cuda), but also a lover of any of the great american musclecars....I also own a 1992 Ford F150 pickup so I guess that makes me part of the Ford crowd too!

Well, the thing is that I have just stumbled upon a 67 or 68 Mustang Hardtop which has what seems to be an original cobra small block engine under the hood. It has the cobra valvecovers, cobra intake and an big aluminum finned oil pan with the "cobra" lettering on the sides.

I dont know if the engine belongs to this car, but there is another 65 or 66 hardtop sitting by its side with no engine, and I believe this is the car which originally held the engine in question.

AS far as I know, the only early mustangs which had the small block cobra engine were the Shelby GT-350s (which had the fastback configuration).

But was there ever such thing as a cobra engined hardtop?

I live in Lima, Peru. And I suppose you already know Peru is once was full of rare mustangs such as Shelbys and Shelby Rs. Some rare Mustangs still pop up every know and then, so please tell me if Ive stumbled accross something rare.

I would also like in fo on how to identify if its a "real" car. Where should I look for the VINs and stuff lie that....plus some more info in case that the is missing, since the car is totally stripped.

Thanks and I would greatly appreciate any info you guys could provide.

PS, one of the cars has a GT gas cap out back.

Dark Knight 04-06-2002 09:43 AM

those are probably bolt on items.. I think the 67-68 shelby was only available in fastback and convertible... they aslo had a few more body poeces added... fiberglass nose.. etc..

Rev 04-06-2002 02:31 PM

All "Cobra" stuff is Shelby after market parts. It was sanctioned by Ford, and could be bought over the counter at Ford dealerships. Any Ford could get legitimate "Cobra" parts installed by a Ford dealer.

Rev

domingo 04-06-2002 03:40 PM

Thanks for thr info! I guess its just a regular mustang coupe with the cobra add ons...or a real cobra engine from another car that was wrecked.

Not worth much I guess...

Gearhead999 04-06-2002 07:51 PM

I have the Cobra valve covers and aluminum "T" Cobra oil pan on my 69 FB. I have had them for many years and they are just bolt ons. Great looking stuff and the oil pan holds 7 1/2 qts and is trap doored too.

jim_howard_pdx 04-06-2002 07:56 PM

Anyone can purchase Cobra valve covers, air covers, and oil pans. I doubt this engine is really anything at all valuable, or they would have told you something. A K code engine would be identified by distinctive headers, a mechanical advance distributor and more. A Cobra would have special cams running in a K code package with aluminum high rise and holley 715 carb.

Hope this helps.