MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2001, 05:23 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Lightbulb Rules of Engagement

For those of you who haven't figured it out yet, street racing is illegal... Yes, yes, it actually is. I know it's a shock, but that's the law of the land.

Not all, but many times I see (and have witnessed with my own eyes) that people get busted b/c they don't know what they're doing. They just get up next to some broke down car to race and get all into the moment that they forget to take some precautionary considerations. (Not saying that any of you don't do it right-- seeing that there have been a few recent posts on getting busted for speed exhibition-- just thought there should be a post on the do's and don'ts of street racing-- particularly on precautionary measures)

So, next time you are thinking about racing that souped up stang (or whatever) sitting beside you at the light (or from a roll or wherever),

1) Make sure it's a car worth running (that'll lessen your chances of racing in the first place and thus lessen chances of gettin busted for it). I would feel really dumb getting busted for racing some rusted out Chevette.

2) Don't ever just take a race on the spurr of the moment. Take your time and look around. Look in your mirrors, on the side of roads, in parking lots and anywhere else quickly for cops (very important). Scan the area first b4 you race!

3) Know the area you're doing that stuff in if it's well known for cops hiding in bushes or in driveways, etc. Also, take a minute or two to "feel out" the area: if you see cops looking like they are cruising around looking for something or there are a suspisciously (or not suspiciously) an abnormal number of patrol cars in that area, then don't screw around there. If you're out cruising and you have a buddy in the passenger seat, THAT IS HIS JOB to look around with you. You can be focused on the race and give a few glances around the area to check for cops, but IF A FRIEND IS RIDING WITH YOU, MAKE HIM/HER DO A THOROUGH (as thorough as possible) SCAN OF THE AREA AND UP AHEAD. THAT IS HIS JOB.

4) KNOW WHEN TO SHUT DOWN!! What are you trying to prove? For example, why race up to 120 in a 45 mph speed zone in the middle of the city or suburbs where it's busy with cars and/or pedestrians???? That's just plane STUPID. If you do, then you deserve jail time--no doubt. If racing from a light, depending on where you are (out in country or in heart of city and all palces in b/t), if speed limit is 45, why go over 60 or 70 mph, especially if you already smoked the car next to you by the time you get to 50mph??? And if you do race past posted speed limit, shut it down quickly, don't keep screwin after you beat or loss to the rival at well over posted speed limit.

5) Try to avoid racing around curves or over hills as you cannot see what is on the around the end of that curve or on the other side of that hill (eg, cops sitting with radar gun or pedestrians crossing). Best racing road is straight and flat.

6) Just make it a rule to NOT race in the rain/snow/sleet/hail conditions during daylight or nighttime hrs. Not worth it. AND this goes without saying (although I will say it) DON'T RACE WHEN DRUNK, REALLY TIRED, JUST NOT THINKING CLEARLY FOR WHATEVER REASON.

7) Do not race someone who is showing off and making a huge display of his car on the road. These types of idiots are the ones who mess it up for everyone else and are gonna pull you down with them. The racers I know who survive longest (w/o getting busted or dying) are the ones who won't just race any car, anytime, anywhere. No, I'm not saying be a snob, but use some restraint. If someone gets mad at you for not racing them, SO WHAT!!!!!! It's okay to blow off a race if you just are not in the mood.

8) Read up on the current laws concerning drag racing, fines, etc, relevant to your state. That can be an hour well spent.

I'm sure I've missed some points but this is the place for you to post them. Be safe and use your head when street racing (although some may question if anyone who street races is being safe or using his/her head in the first place )

All this stuff won't eliminate your chances of getting busted for street racing, but it will surely lessen it...

OR, I guess you could just not street race at all and leave it for the drag strip only, then you wouldn't have to worry about it at all . Your choice.

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body

[This message has been edited by Fox Body (edited 07-19-2001).]
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote