MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2001, 10:54 PM   #1
cobrayankee
Registered Member

Question Worst street race accident you saw.

What's the worst accident you guys have seen due to a street race?

------------------
1997 Cobra (Black on black), C+L 80mm MAF, K+N filter, Pro 5.0 shifter, BBK Springs, Taylor Wires, 2 Chamber Flows, ASP Pulleys, BBK off road H pipe.
cobrayankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 12:47 AM   #2
StangFlyer
Founder

You can read my story about the worst street racing accident I ever witnessed in our articles section. Back when Chris Johnson (Johnson Motorsports) was writing the old Street Racer's Corner articles, I wrote an essay on a horrible accident I witnessed that he included. It is called, Terror on the Street.
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 01:41 AM   #3
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

A very sombering story. That is the reason I put limits on what I will and wont do and race on the streets. What I'm relieved to hear is that no spectators were killed or hurt.

I have seen several accidents happen, but never one that was during a street race. Hopefully I never will.

------------------
64 1/2 Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, 3:1 rear gear. Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 windsor valves, high side of 10.5:1 comp, 1.7:1 sled rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, autolite 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd.

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Auto. project car.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 08:14 AM   #4
Mustang92
Drag Racer!

I witnessed a nasty accident by two guys street racing. Not really part of the group I hung out with or anything but just two guys that both thought they had fast cars and wouldn't give up.

I was leaving the shopping center getting ready to make a right hand turn onto Lake Worth road heading west. These two coming from the opposite direction where racing east on Lake Worth. You could see their headlights weaving in an out of traffic. I just sat there to see who would win. Then the guy in the outside lane clipped the rear of the other guys car causing him to spin, hit the median then travel upside down coliding with two cars heading west. The first hit the side of the car flipping it, the second one had it's roof sheard off. Both the driver and passenger were killed in the second car two children in the back seat lived. The elderly couple in the first car he hit both died as well.

Later on it turned out that the driver and passenger of the second car where the family of the chief of the fire department. Both guys are still serving sentences of man slaughter. This was about 3-4 years ago.

This is why people should never street race in a crowded area. I always make a point to race in least populated area as possible.

------------------
00 GT, K&N, MAC Tree Killer, Pullies, 4.10’s, 2 chamber Flowmasters, UPR shifter, Weld Pro Stars, Nitto DR’s 13.21@100.90 (1.87 60ft)
M/M 100
88 LX coupe X-FHP, 12pt Cage, UPR K-member, 31 spline rear, full spool, more to come
Mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 08:32 AM   #5
Try Me
Registered Member

Exclamation

Last summer the cops broke us up around midnight on a Friday at our local street racing spot. Leitrem Road to all you locals.

So everyone took off and caravaned to Vincent Massey to continue racing.
Anyway, the first pack of about 10 cars, of which i was part of, took off first.
We left slowly, but a few miles down the road it turned in to a full out 24 Hour LeMans race.

One 300Z up front didn't make a corner (we were doing about 180 Kph.
He hit the 2 mediums before landing in the weeds up against a telephone pole.
The guy was ok. It shook me up.

Cops show up minutes later. There were about 50 Mustangs, Camaro's and other hot rods lining the street with their hazards on.
"No street racing here officer!"
Try Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 11:24 AM   #6
FivepointOH
Registered Member

I haven't seen an accident due to street racing yet. Thanks for the topic though guys, every once in a while I need a reminder to drive safe and how dangerous our high performance machines really are.

------------------
92 AOD GT, K&N, ram air, pulleys, 2 ch. flowmasters, 4:10's, shift kit, 1 5/8 mac longtubes and offroad hpipe 14.249 @ 97.34 mph before the headers and hpipe
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 02:22 PM   #7
tom351

Back in 96, I was riding with a good friend in his 91 5.0 with some nice mods, and we see a guy that we both had been wanting to race for a while directly behind us. He was in a 95? trans-am with some basic bolt-ons. Rather than pulling up beside us to race, the dude in the TA floors it from behind and keeps going instead of lining up. My bud nails it as he is going by and starts to eat up the TA's 2 second head start. The TA stayed in it to try to hold us off, and my friend stayed in it to try to pass him cuz we were pulling. We both went into a fairly sharp corner (3 lanes each way) at about 110 mph.

The TA was in the outside lane, and we were in the middle lane. Our nose was at his rear wheel as we started the turn. The TA loses it (oversteer) about half-a-second before we go into a 4-wheel drift. The TA came around about 90 degrees and we were headed for the curb. My friend countersteered and regained control,(this all happened it about 3 seconds) but now our front bumper was about a foot from his driver side door (left hand turn) he was sliding away from us, but we were going faster because he was bleeding speed fast still sliding directly sideways. Finally as we were about to t-bone him, his car came around to 180 degrees and he flew off the road backwards. I saw his headlights go right by my door and disapear down the hill next to the road. We pulled over just down the road and went running over there to see if he was OK. He was busy thowing some contraband from his car into the woods before the cops showed up. He was fine (lucky the car did not flip, so were we!)

Moments later, the cops, a firetruck, and an ambulance showed up. The 5.0 was not visible form the crash site, The cops knew he was racing, but did not know against who. There were skidmarks all over the road, and I'm sure that it looked like the two cars hit each other given how close together we were.

Later that night, the cops pulled us over in the 5.0 and inspected the front right corner of his car, but there was no damage. Over the next week everyone, including myself that had a musclecar, got pulled over and the cops looked for damage on the front right of our cars.

The accident was not too bad. The TA had big time suspension and exhaust damage. It was a miracle that we did not collide, and both roll several times.

------------------
67 Fastback - Arctic White Pearl paint
351W 415 hp, Trick Flow Alum. Heads, C-4 Trans, 3.55 gears, Front Disc Brakes, 1-1/8" Fr. 3/4" rear sway bars.

Old 01-02-2001, 04:39 PM   #8
Five0
Registered Member

I have witnessed one accident, I can't remember all the details but Where we used to race there was a car that lost control and hit a spectators car and killed the kid in the parked car, I cannot remember for sure but I think 2 people died in that crash, the driver lived.

One I did not witness was a friend of my wife had an eclipse with a turbo that was all riced out and he got into a race and hit a girl that pulled out in front of him. She was killed instantly but her friend lived.
Her friend said she had been drinking and the autopsy showed she was over the legal limit but sense he was racing he is in jail for involuntary manslaughter and lost his license for life. The police said he was going over 100 mph when he hit her car.

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
Best 1/8 time on motor 7.686 @90.20mph
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2001, 07:41 PM   #9
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Unhappy

Man I hate these kinda topics. But anyway, I've never seen an actual collision b/t 2 cars street racing, but I have seen the immediate effects of it. Making long story short:

Coming back from dragstrip (pretty high powered night) two cars fly by my brother's car and disapper in the distance. About 8 minutes later, hundreds of cars backed up for at least a mile. (sucked) Thought cops were checking for insurance and driver's license. Stuck in backed up traffic for at LEAST 40 minutes. Ah there's the problem: same car (some Oldsmobile) that passed us slammed into the back of an 18 wheeler and was halfway under it. Car had now had no roof. Saw a leg hanging out of the driver's side. That really sucked. I thought to myself, "was it really worth the race?"

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe
8.8" Rear end w/ 2.73:1 gears (sucks!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Sucky Purolator air filter that's choking my car.
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 02:36 AM   #10
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

I followed a whole group of ricers and 1 cobra one night out to a long strip of road in the orange groves. There was about 50 cars there and after the pathetic ricer races they all took off.

All following each other as fast as they could go. We there is a long straight away then a sharp 110degree turn that you cant go any faster than 15mph on. A guy in a civic came into it about 45mph and flipped up on the side and rolled down the embankment, about 8-10feet down the edge. The car was thrashed and as my girlfriend and I pulled up they were gettin pulled out of the car. I drove off at that point, but it kept me from driving fast around corner and away from the street races for a few weeks.

SKyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS Heads, Edelbrock intake, E-303, 3.73's, 1 5/8 shorty headers, Offroad-Hpipe, 2chamber flows, 36psi FPR, playing with timing still, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, K/N, March Crank pulley, MSD6a, 9mm wires and FMS Aluminum driveshaft.
Best ET 13.2@106mph Needs tuning...
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2001, 04:25 PM   #11
88GT5.013.02

In downtown Detroit my buddies and I saw a drunk guy on a Harley trying to race everyone he had seen. Everyone knew better than to race him. So while people were trying to get races this guy is racing up and down the road (6 mile and Mt. Elliot).

At the end of the strip there is a guard rail and a curve. Well there is plenty of room to stop probably a 1/4-1/2 mile.

This guy takes his bike down the strip and you can hear him driving it out the back door. We can't really see him anymore and we see sparks. "He didn't make the turn" someone says. So, some people went down there and the guy hit the guard rail going fast, nothing left of his bike. He walked away, don't know the injuries, but I'm sure he had some broken bones.

I didn't see a whole lot of it because I left before the cops got there.

Anothery gruesome story, it isn't an accident, but I saw someone get shot. We were at 8 mile and Mound and I was finishing a race when the cops come. Well this is a border of two cities (Warren and Detroit). So we go across 8 mile to Warren in the Tim Hortons.

We are talking outside of our cars when we hear "freeze police" then I see someone running. I hear "freeze" again and then a gun shot. The guy drops and is laying there lifeless. I don't know if he survived. This is right in front a Chrysler plant and one of the guys was coming out from his shift early saw the whole thing from like 100 feet away. He came over to us at Tim Hortons and said that the guy was more than likely dead.

Old 01-03-2004, 09:44 PM   #12
ladystang89
stangster

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan McClain
You can read my story about the worst street racing accident I ever witnessed in our articles section. Back when Chris Johnson (Johnson Motorsports) was writing the old Street Racer's Corner articles, I wrote an essay on a horrible accident I witnessed that he included. It is called, Terror on the Street.
That is really sad...i have watched that man(Bruce) race many times and it just so happened that at the time of his death i had been staying away from that area.
Do you Dan have any articles or remember exactly the date of the tragedy????I would be so grateful for more imformation.
ladystang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:58 PM   #13
flyin 5.8
Registered Member

http://media.mustangworks.com/showga...page=24&sort=2

If the link doesn't work, search for wrecked em in the gallery.

I didn't see the wreck, a friend that is an EMT posted these pics on another board a few weeks ago.

I'll leave the street racing is bad speach for your mother and local law enforcement.

"Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD . . . you want to hit it, but your afraid of the consequences."
flyin 5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:28 AM   #14
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Several years ago I started going down to Philly to cruise and watch some the the street racing action. Well, only a couple months later the "Fast and Furious" was about to be released into the movie theaters and every 16-18 year old started showing up down there. They had no respect for the "code" of street racing and caused a ton of problems.
Well, one night a guy on a crouch rocket decided to do a fly-by on two cars that had just started racing. Down the road a car was pulling a U-turn or something, ended up striking and killing the guy on the bike. A week later another car crashed in a bike and left the rider a vegetable for the rest of his life. Thats the last time I ever went
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 04:08 PM   #15
ladystang89
stangster

Quote:
Originally posted by flyin 5.8
http://media.mustangworks.com/showga...page=24&sort=2

If the link doesn't work, search for wrecked em in the gallery.

I didn't see the wreck, a friend that is an EMT posted these pics on another board a few weeks ago.

I'll leave the street racing is bad speach for your mother and local law enforcement.
where and when was this accident?????looks bad.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:51 PM   #16
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Wrost I saw was my brothers. DId not see the actually accident, but saw the car they brought home. My parents had just told me when the flatbed pulled in the driveway. The car was burnt to a crisp. I thought he was dead when I saw the car. He was going about a 100 when a old couple did not look and pulled right in front of him. Hit them broad side at about 70. Hurt the old man a little, couple of broken bones. Brother had som cuts and sprains, but was pretty good considering he was not wearing his belt. He was heavy in body building then, he bent the steering wheel when he hit!! At the accident sceene, he told them to cut his battery cable to his car. The towing place forgot and it burned down during the night. Car was a total loss. Ended up being the old couple fault and my brother got a decent setelment to get his current stang. His old car was a 67 cougar, I think it went mid 12's.

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 06:04 PM   #17
StangFlyer
Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by ladystang89
That is really sad...i have watched that man (Bruce) race many times and it just so happened that at the time of his death i had been staying away from that area.
Do you Dan have any articles or remember exactly the date of the tragedy????I would be so grateful for more imformation.
Somewhere I had the Flint Journal newspaper article about the accident that appeared the next day. That would also give the date of the accident. However, I have no idea where it is or even if I still have it. If I run accross it though... I will post it.
Media Center Gallery - View my member photos
StangFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 06:42 PM   #18
flyin 5.8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ladystang89
where and when was this accident?????looks bad.
Detriot area, Warren I think. The car went about 50-75 feet down the guard rail breaking off the (8x8?) wood posts.

Yeah, I don't see how someone could have survived, the guard rail appears to go thru the drivers seat.

"Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD . . . you want to hit it, but your afraid of the consequences."
flyin 5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 07:21 PM   #19
ladystang89
stangster

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan McClain
Somewhere I had the Flint Journal newspaper article about the accident that appeared the next day. That would also give the date of the accident. However, I have no idea where it is or even if I still have it. If I run accross it though... I will post it.
I would so greatly appreciate it...i thought of going to the Flint Journal or public library but i dont even remember any date to try.
I dont mean to drag out a tragedy like that but i once sat in his t-bucket(before he put the big motor in) while it was at a car show and i seen him many times race.He was quite popular.Please let me know if you come up with anything....THANKS ALOT
Old 06-09-2004, 09:37 AM   #20
ladystang89
stangster

Thanks for posting the articles Dan.I know it was a very sad tragedy.To alot of people it is a reminder of things that can go wrong.I didnt realize so many died that same weekend.