MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Stang Stories (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Raced a Camaro, question... (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=24690)

Bob98GT 06-05-2002 11:17 AM

Raced a Camaro, question...

last week i was on the interstate and came up to pass a black camaro convertible. there were two guys in it, and the top was down. as soon as i passed, he dropped a gear and was off. i decided to give it a go. we were about equal most of the time, but i was able to take the turns faster than him, so i ended up way in front of him by the time my exit came up. we were going pretty fast, on the downhill sections i would hit 140 mph.

my question is, i couldn't tell what kind of camaro it was. it was a newer model, probably an 00, or 01. and i think it had dual exhaust, but if it were a z28, then i'm sure he would have been able school me, but he didn't. it may have been a modified v-6. do the V-6's have dual exhaust?

is there a real easy way to tell if a camaro is a v-6, z-28, or SS?

Party ON! :cool:

Stang Runner 06-05-2002 11:44 AM

well V6 to V8 you can hear a Diff if you know what they sound like.... Can be hard buy just looking at it as there are alot of V6 with Dual EX on them now.

StoplightWarrior 06-05-2002 12:28 PM

Usually I just look at the badging on the side fenders. If it says Z28, it probably is. If it says camaro or says nothing, it's a v6. Howcome you didnt just look at the side?

GONZO99TA 06-05-2002 03:58 PM

it was most likely a v8, i think the v6 has a speed limiter.

unless one person is driving something completely out of the other cars league. corner carving is more driver than car. especiall y on the highway.
i would never push my car to it's fullest cornering potential on the highway, way too many things can go wrong and fast! don't get me wrong i would carve some curves just not to the max of grip. just not safe to do on the streets, so it comes down to which driver is willing to take more risk.

stevstum 06-05-2002 04:21 PM

As for the badges on the side I have seen a few V8 Camaros with the Camaro bades on the side. They might have been ex highway patrol cars though.

As for the get up and go and the corner carving. Mustangs are little lighter and they corner a little better. My brother has a 91 Z28 and at top end he would spank me, but at the stop light I get him every time.:D

06-06-2002 12:17 AM

Z28 usually if there not modified will have rectangular tips.
a SS if not modified will have the two tips on one side.
I’ve seen some v6 models with dual exhaust but there smaller and not chrome and turned down.

im not 100% positive on this but, that’s my guess

The Deuce 06-06-2002 02:12 AM

Possibly some outside help......

Last I know z28 convertibles were electornially limited to a top speed under 140. Since this is the speed you mentioned hitting and wondering why the camaro didn't spank you, this could have something to do with it.

As far as telling if the car is a v6, v8 or SS, there are a few easy ways, assuming things are stock.
1. SS always has a hood scoop.
2. z28's you can see the muffler in the center with two tips coming off it, one on each side.
3. v6's sound funny. If they have dual exhaust, you shouldn't see muffler on the back end of the car.

I know plenty of guys who swap badges and rims. Most swap up though, ie won't see an SS wearing a z28 badge. I think the coloring where the front plate goes may differ on the models, but I am not sure.

Can I get some help with the governing issue??

MY02SSLE 06-06-2002 09:08 AM

Chances Are

Chances are, if you didn't see any of the markings of an SS or a Z28, it was a v6. Or maybe the guy was just taking it easy and didn't want to get a ticket, or risk wrecking his car.

Just remember, we all have to use the freeways to commute, and people racing on it not only puts you in danger, but a lot of innocent people. Save the racing for the track! Not to mention, you can get a huge ticket from the cops...

Just my $.02.

MidNiteBlu 5.0 06-06-2002 09:56 AM

Hey MY02SSLE Welcome to mustangworks. I love the look of those 35th anniversary SS's! Nice car (for a chevy) hahaha im jk :eek: ;)

mysweetlx 06-06-2002 01:08 PM

Most likely it was a v6, or a z28 not really pushing it. Besides the obvious differences in them, dual exhaust or not, depending if you've got pretty heavy mods or not, a GT couldn't hang w/ a z28 or ss between 110-140.