MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-23-2002, 01:08 PM   #1
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Default Raced ex's old boyfriend's LT1....

We were blowing off some steam after a test on Monday night at a little pool hall called Speeds. Anyway, after we all took off, I decided to just drive around a little bit to get the feel of my brand new AOD (long story...my 130,000 mile + AOD cost me about $1500 this last week).

Anyway, I was driving down 45th not really looking for a race, but just trying out the tranny and getting a feel for the Lentech VB. I turned off onto Soncy, which is a long straight street on the south edge of town...no lights for a while as it's still almost in the country. As I was going along about 50 mph, I notice the lights of a Camaro coming up on me. He pulls beside and slows down, and when I look over, a woman that I had dated was in the passenger seat of her boyfriend's LT1 (another long story...I saw her for a while before she dropped me and ended up getting back with her ex....always a fun situation). We slow down and talk back and forth a little...you know, the usuall jolly banter, "We saw you way back there and decided to catch up....what are you up to..." and all that jazz.

I've talked to her boyfriend a couple of times as the girl and I are still friends. He knows just enough about cars to share in an intelligent conversation, but he had bought the car from someone after it was already modified. The mods I know he has are as follows: some sort of head work, a cam, exhaust, a chip, and gears. I know it's got more mods, but besides those, I'd only be guessing. Oh yeah, it's an auto. It use to run damn quick on the squeeze, but he doesn't have the kit on right now.

So after the normal happy talk crap, we tried to catch the first light. Unfortunately, the light wouldn't turn red, and with traffic coming up behind us, still a little ways back, we couldn't stop and go. So we ended up running from a 20-25 mph roll. He honks three times and we go. Before we went, he had about 1/2-1 fender on me. I had pulled the Lentech back down into first and on the third horn, we both went Johnny-on-the-spot. My Nittos didn't have any problem hooking (remember...it's an auto ), and by the end of first, I had pulled past him and his nose was on my rear bumper. I hit second with a chirp and started pulling again, a little slower at first, but picking up momentum as the revs climbed. About this time, we ran up on a semi in his lane as I was hitting third, and he let off and pulled into the lane behind me. I didn't look down right when we let off, but when I glanced down at the speedo, it read about 65 mph. I wish we could have continued. I think I would have kept pulling him through second and into third, especially up through ~90. I know for sure I would have pulled him from a stand-still more than I did from a roll as he's yet to do any tranny work other than a programmer. Unfortunately, he turned off quickly before we could talk.

I found out today that he had spilled his coke all over his lap during the race....hahaha ! It felt good. I don't have anything in particular against the guy other than a woman I was really interested in dumping me for him, but getting a little of your own back is always fun.

I'm enjoying the tranny. It hits HARD when manually shifting at throttle, but it is very polite when simply tooling around and letting it shift itself. It's a stock rebuild with the Lentech VB and PI converter which I had just installed prior to having to rebuild (the VB wasn't the cause...just lots of hard miles). It seems to pick up off the line a bit more quickly than before the rebuild, and the shifts are absolutely great. I'm eager to get it to the track and see what it does.

Thought I'd share.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 01:16 PM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Good stuff! I'm sure that was a satisfying kill!

Also, it's cool that you're not being a prick about the whole situation with your ex.

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 08:06 PM   #3
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Im glad someone is able to hook with nittos I ran 2.0 60 foots last year. During the winter I pulled the front sway bar and welded in some sub-frames and I still pull 2.0 60 foots.

Nice kill...
Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 10:23 PM   #4
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Hehe,

Yeah, that's one nice thing about having an auto. They tend to be much easier to launch. I can beat most guys with sticks on the street simply because I can pull a quick two cars off the launch while they're sitting there spinning. These Nittos are MUCH stickier than the bald *** Dunlops I was running before, so I feel spoiled. I can hardly make the things spin on purpose.

You know, the more I drive this car now, the more I feel that it has picked up a bit after the tranny rebuild. I always kinda wondered about the shape of the tranny as I had never been into it past the valve body and converter. It shure feels a bit more peppy off the line, and the valve body makes a WORLD of difference as far as confidence in your shifts. Before it was like, "Ok...I'll shift...NOW....maybe it will go into gear...maybe....maybe....OK!! There it is!" Sometimes the damned thing would decide just to hold the gear and bounce the limiter. Now, when you throw the lever, you know EXACTLY when the tranny is going to hit, and when it hits, it hits hard. Very nice.

Oh, and I can now hold third gear past 100 mph without worrying about the darn thing hitting OD like it used to. I'm telling you, it's like a whole new car.

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Old 04-24-2002, 12:38 AM   #5
The Deuce
Registered Member

Quote:
. I can beat most guys with sticks on the street simply because I can pull a quick two cars off the launch while they're sitting there spinning.
Nice kill. It is always a little more satisfying to best your ex's new flame at anything. I also personally find it amusing that you beat up on guys with sticks. I have never seen an auto actually test faster to 60, and I could always compensate for running a slower car with a clutch. Sorry, had to stick up for the three pedal crowd.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 09:54 AM   #6
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Understandable. It's great not really having to worry about wasting the tires off the line. Basically, if the road is in good shape, it comes down to pointing the wheels in the right direction and mashing the go pedal.

Now before everyone goes and starts flaming me about not being a "true" driving enthusiest because I don't drive a manual, let me say that I learned to drive on a stick. Also let me say that I've put a LOT of blood, sweat, and tears into making this auto run like it does (ok...maybe not tears, but then again...there was that one time........).

It comes down to who gets there first, and if you haven't lost to an automatic 5.0, then you haven't raced the right automatic.

--nathan

Old 04-24-2002, 11:27 AM   #7
Mstngscoob
Registered Member

great kill!!!!! it al ways makes ya happy to beat your ex"s new flame (or old) but while shes in the car is even better.
keep up the good work

2001 suzuki gsxr-600 yoshi pipe, tint screen, helmet, flsh mnts. 4-sale
Mstngscoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 03:28 PM   #8
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Sweet Kill man. Sounds like the 5.0 is running good.

Get some new times for us.

'87 GT..5 spd...Stock...14.4 @ 97 SOLD

'90 GT Conv. A4 Cream Puff...14.6 @ 94 SOLD

'99 Z28..A4..Stock stall, no tuning, all motor, full weight 11.92 @ 117.95 SOLD

'03 Centennal Edition GT 5 spd. 1 of 620 5 spd coupes made.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/99-04/03/100th.htm

Stock.....
13.89 @ 99.03

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/99-04/03/100th.htm
EZRIDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2002, 10:37 PM   #9
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Talking

Nice kill!

I pull LT1's pretty good through the top of 3rd with my 2.73's. That's over 100mph anyway. Once I hit 4th I lose my advantage though.

ROTFLMAO at him spilling his beverage. I would have died to see him get out. I would have had to ask, did you spill your drink, or did my car just scare you??

HEHEHE
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2002, 08:58 AM   #10
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

That's a good one, Unit!

"did you spill your drink, or did my car just scare you??"

Hahaha!!

Yeah, I kind of wondered why he turned off so fast. My friend (ex) was telling me that they had just picked up some food and were heading to his house which is apparently right about where we raced. That's the first time I've actually seen his Z. He always drives around this big older Ford 4x4 which he has fixed up.

Of course my ex told me what she knew about his car and how fast it was when we were dating and then after as well. After we broke up, I took her for a quick ride back to her appartment from her work one day. We had just talked about his car a little bit and she was telling me that it was pretty fast. As I turned the corner with my bald Dunlops, I gave it a little bit of the throttle, kicked the back end around and scarred the brown out of her. It was great . Fast car my ***.

--nathan