MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-19-2003, 05:05 AM   #41
Coupe50h
Registered Member

wow!, lol
I dont see why a supra wouldnt have torque, turbo's do make torque, but what do i know.
The supra's around here all mostly been converted to single turbo automatic's, some fast, some not so fast, most bpu's in the high 12's @ 110 on drag radials, there was a guy from austin "sw" with a black supra that went 9.9 @ 150+ the car was on e-bay for a while, but the cash it took to go that fast, i could probaly go low 8's in the stang
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:13 AM   #42
429mustang
Registered Member

What is BPU?
Old 08-19-2003, 08:39 AM   #43
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Here's my 2 cents I have seen a stock Supra except for a boost controller go 11.86 @116mph.

And I have seen a bone stock one run a 13.9 @102mph.

I have lost to the one thats runs a 13.9 from a roll he beat me pretty good.

I like em,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 08:41 AM   #44
VeNuM
Registered Member

Basic Performance Upgrade, Stage 1 gives them something like 460 hp and goes all the way up to like 1200 hp.

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 04:59 PM   #45
20LbsBoost

Quote:
Originally posted by T88H34GSUPRA
BTW... The top speed of the Supra is closer to 180 mph in stock form.
Ummm....yea.

Quote:
The car has a speed limiting device from the factory that cuts back on fuel and retards timeing at 159 mph. You only need to pull a fuse to bypass this device.
Well then I guess your own "facts" as posted aren't quite facts since this new info contradicts your previously posted performance mag info. Why don't you copy and paste your indisputable proof like your other facts.

If I did "XXX" over stock it'd do "XXX"....pleeease.... This logic is stupefying.

Last edited by 20LbsBoost; 08-19-2003 at 07:10 PM..
Old 08-19-2003, 07:20 PM   #46
20LbsBoost

Quote:
Source for Supra facts.

http://www.i-supra.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc...1&m=5916082111

Turbo TA #'s

Performance
(source: Pontiac Motor Division)

performance: 0-60: 5.5 sec
1/4 mile: 13.5 sec
60-0: 139'
roadholding: 0.86g
weight/hp: 13.4:1
SUPRA FACTS??!!! BWAHAHAHA

So you're quoting Supra performance from a Supra message board forum, but quote Turbo T/A performance from Pontiac Motor Division. I see...... Love the logic.... Must I point out the idiocy of any of this?

Your attempt to distract from the topic won't work. The fact is Turbo Supras put out MUCH more HP vs. TQ (on average) which equate to high 1/4 mile trap speeds and mediocre ET's unless you invest big bucks....in the real world that is.

They don't make great 1/4 mile cars and will go like hell from a 60mph roll which is pretty useless 'round here. And yes, they make great dyno queens.
Old 08-19-2003, 07:26 PM   #47
T88H34GSUPRA
Registered Member

Actually I got the Turbo T/A info from the site listed in your signature.

1989 Pontiac 20th Anniversary Turbo T/A

For all I know you could have made it up and put that the source was Pontiac Motor Division.

By the way a Stock Supra TT puts out 320hp and 315 ft lbs of torque. I don't see any big difference there.

Last edited by T88H34GSUPRA; 08-19-2003 at 07:49 PM..
T88H34GSUPRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 07:40 PM   #48
T88H34GSUPRA
Registered Member

Just so you don't sound like a complete idiot in future discussions... You should learn the difference between horsepower and torque and what the signifigance of each one is in relationship to how a car goes down a drag strip.

Definition of Horsepower and Torque:

One HP is defined as being 33,000 foot pounds per minute of energy. This means ONE Horsepower is sufficient to move ONE POUND 33,000 feet in one minutes time. Or it can also mean that it can move 33,000 POUNDS one single foot, in one minute. It just depends on how you do the math.

This is true because regardless of gearing (or mechanical advantage), one horsepower is always one horsepower, gearing never changes that. This is because Horsepower is a combination of FORCE, WORK, and TIME.

FORCE, WORK, TIME: If you were to try and push a 2,000 pound car, with it's parking brake engaged, with all your strength, which lets say is 100 pounds of FORCE. You are applying force, but not doing any work (because the car won't move). If you were to release the brake, and now beable to push the car with your 100 pounds of force for 1 single foot, then you have now done WORK. If it took you 1 MINUTE to do that work, then you have done work at the rate of 100 foot-pounds per minute. If you were able to move the car 2 feet in one minute with your 100 pounds of force, the you have done the work at the rate of 200 foot-pounds per minute.

Now we need to apply this to automotive use. In the automotive world, force and work are delivered in a rotating form (such as the crankshaft, driveshaft, or wheels). This TWISTING force is defined at Torque. In torque, ONE FOOT-POUND is the force needed to suspend a one pound weight, horizontally from a point one foot from the fulcrum (center of the rotation). If this point was moved to 10 FEET from the fulcrum, then that one pound weight has gained mechanical advantage, it now requires TEN FOOT-POUNDS too support that weight. This would be the same twisting force as a TEN pound weight being suspended from the original 1 foot distance from the center of rotation.

To see the effects of mechanical advantage for yourself, hold your arm out horizontally, and suspend a 5 pound weight mid way from your arm, now move that weight to your hand, it feels twice as heavy, because it has gained mechanical advantage (leverage).

But understand, that 5 pound weight hanging from your arm is exerting no more power as before, it is gaining leverage, but in return giving up how quickly it can perform actual work. Lets say that 5 pound weight was applying enough force that the weight could move 1 foot in one second. If that one foot of movement occurred at the middle of your arm, it would cause your arm to have rotated more, than if the one foot distance was only at the tip of your arm. That's mechanical advantage, and how the "Gearing" works in your car, both the transmission and axle. To gain speed (work rate), you have to sacrifice force. But we will come back to this later.

We were talking about torque, and how it is "twisting" force. Now Horsepower would be a combination of Torque, and how quickly torque can be delivered, which is a combination of work and the time it took to perform that work, which in this case can be expressed at RPM. So now we have two things, Torque (our force), and RPM (the rate the force can be delivered, Revolutions Per Minute). Horsepower is simply the culmination of these two things. Here is how Horsepower is calculated from Torque and RPM:

Torque times RPM divided by 5252 = Horsepower

(One interesting note, on any dyno chart for an engine, the torque and horsepower numbers always cross at 5252 rpms, this is because both 5252s simply cross each other out as they are divided into one another.)

Now we know what Torque and Horsepower are, which is all fine and dandy, but how does this make my car go. Believe it or not, the only thing that causes the car to accelerate is TORQUE, it is that force that pushes your car. Without that force, your car would just sit there, it doesn't matter if the engine is spinning at 15,000 RPMs, if it has no force behind those rotations, it would instantly stall once the clutch was engaged, and the car would go nowhere. Your simply delivering NO FORCE very quickly. But with torque, you have force to push the car, and give some real power to those 15,000rpms.

But also, if you had 1,000 foot-pounds of torque available to you, but no way to deliver it (RPM) then the car would still just sit there. You have to have both to get any work done, and that's what horsepower is.

Since torque is what actually causes acceleration, in any given gear, the car will always accelerate hardest at the torque peak, not the horsepower peak. And this also means that because of mechanical advantage, you car will always accelerate hardest (if traction allows) in the lowest gear. Because the gear reduction is giving the wheels more torque. But if you want to go faster than the engine will allow, then you upshift to a higher gear, and therefore give up some of your mechanical advantage in exchange for a higher work rate. This happens every time you up shift.

And that is why it's good to have lots of horsepower. Because the horsepower peak is when you have the highest culmination of Torque (force) and RPM (rate of work). The higher horsepower means that you can supply the rear wheels with lots of torque, and you can deliver it at a high rate. And not have to upshift as early and loose some of that torque. So while an engine with say 500ft-lbs of peak torque at 2000rpms, but only 250hp by 4000rpm, will pull harder in first gear (All things equal except engine) than an engine with only a peak of 400ft-lbs of torque @ 4000rpm. But if that lower torque engine has a higher horsepower output, then it will start to pull away more and more as speed increases. Lets say that smaller engine puts out a peak of 400hp at 7000rpm. So now lets see what we have...

Smaller Engine 400hp @ 7000rpm 400ft-lbs @ 4000rpm
Big Engine 250hp @ 4000rpm 500ft-lbs @ 2000rpm

Ok, now lets chart out the power bands: RPM 1k 2k 3k 4k 5k 6k 7k
Smaller Engine 200ft-lbs (38hp) 270ft-lbs (103hp) 350ft-lbs (200hp) 400ft-lbs (305hp) 370ft-lbs (352hp) 350ft-lbs (399hp) 300ft-lbs (400hp)

Big Engine 380ft-lbs (72hp) 500ft-lbs (190hp) 400ft-lbs (228hp) 328ft-lbs (250hp) redline

Now as you can see the Big Engine has a distinct advantage up to 3000rpms, after that, the smaller one surpasses it. The Big Engine also wont even rev past 4000rpm. So what does this mean? We'll, if both these engines were in the same type of car, with the same gearing. Then if they both raced side by side, the big engined car would easily pull away off the line, and would continue to pull till he reached a little over 3000rpm. At this point, the smaller, but higher output engine would just begin to make its real power. By 4000, the big engine car has to up shift to 2nd gear, and the resulting change in gearing means that even though it is back at it's torque peak, it is actually putting less torque to the ground than the smaller engine car, which since it can rev higher, is still in 1st gear, and enjoying more gear reduction. And as they keep up shifting and going faster, the difference will only get more pronounced.

An interesting note however. Is that because the smaller engine is higher revving, it can run more gear reduction. Meaning that if the smaller engine was allowed to take advantage of more gear reduction, it would have stayed right beside the big engine car right from the launch, and once the smaller engine has hit it's torque peak, it is putting out more peak torque to the ground than the big engine that puts out more torque at it's engine, but does not have as much gear reduction.

Lets what what gear reduction does to both the cars, shall we. I will display the total gear reduction, which would be the gear ratio of whatever gear you are in in the transmission, multiplied by the gear ratio of the final drive in the differential. I will also include the "gearing-up" caused by the diameter of the drive tires/wheels. Which in this case is 24 inches in total diameter, which means the radius is only 1-foot, so our force at the contact patch, is the same as the wheels torque. So below I will be displaying the actual force being applied at the tires contact patch. Ground Speed 6mph 12mph 17mph 23mph 29mph 35mph 41mph
Smaller Engine 200ft-lbs @ 1000rpm 270ft-lbs @ 2000rpm 350ft-lbs @ 3000rpm 400ft-lbs @ 4000rpm 370ft-lbs @ 5000rpm 350ft-lbs @ 6000rpm 300ft-lbs @ 7000rpm

Force at ground, With 12.3:1 total gear reduction 2460lbs of force 3321lbs of force 4305lbs of force 4920lbs of force 4551lbs of force 4305lbs of force 3690lbs of force

Big Engine 200ft-lbs @ 570rpm 390 ft-lbs @ 1100rpm 480ft-lbs @ 1700rpm 470ft-lbs @ 2300rpm 410ft-lbs @ 2900rpm 360ft-lbs @ 3400rpm 328ft-lbs @ 4000rpm

Force at ground, With 7.0:1 total gear reduction 1400 lbs of force 2730lbs of force 3360lbs of force 3290 lbs of force 2870lbs of force 2520lbs of force 2296lbs of force

You can see how the gearing really helped out the smaller engine. Now the force you see shown in the chart, is what is actually causing the car to accelerate, that's the actual force coming in contact with the ground and pushing the car.

Now if we average the lbs of force listed in the chart, the Big engine comes out at an average of 2638lbs (in first gear). But the well geared, higher HP, Small motor, shows a whopping average of 3936lbs. And the average output has a more direct effect on acceleration than just peaks numbers, which may only remain at that peak for a very short period. So now you can see how that smaller engine, with more HP, but less torque, can really lay down the smack on the bigger torquier engine.

So in summary, Torque is twisting force (cause of acceleration), RPM is work rate (Allows Speed), and Horsepower is the culmination of both (Torque times the rate it is delivered).

Have a nice day.

Last edited by T88H34GSUPRA; 08-19-2003 at 08:00 PM..
Old 08-19-2003, 07:58 PM   #49
20LbsBoost

OMG!....you've absolutely confirmed the fact you're DEEP in the F&F crowd. You don't have neons under your car do 'ya??

You keep your high HP / low TQ engines and theory with high trap speeds and so-so ET's and I'll stick to the opposite. You'll have faster speeds at the finish line but I'll be there 1st. Apparently you don't understand the fact a high HP / low TQ engine isn't a good quarter-miler. Low torque is going to result in very poor 60' times, poor 330' times then the HP will come in making up for the loss, but it's too little too late....race is over. Get it?

Most don't run the Silver State Classic or NASCAR superspeedways. Gee, I wonder why NASCAR engines put out so much HP than TQ?

Don't go away mad, just go away....
Old 08-19-2003, 08:04 PM   #50
T88H34GSUPRA
Registered Member

And you are actually going to get there first in a car that can only muster a 12.93 ???

PLEASE!!!!
Old 08-19-2003, 08:12 PM   #51
20LbsBoost

Quote:
And you are actually going to get there first in a car that can only muster a 12.93 ???

Well, that's only in stock form. With just a chip it'll get tons more HP and run low 12's at 190mph. Oh wait a second....that sounds familiar.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:14 PM   #52
T88H34GSUPRA
Registered Member

So....

What exactly do you consider low torque????
Old 08-19-2003, 08:23 PM   #53
T88H34GSUPRA
Registered Member

But you never will modd or race your cars. You are one of those fools that will never drive your precious little low mile museum cars because you car not a car guy, you are a collector of things.

I am someone who has had Ford big blocks, Mopar small and big blocks, and GM small and big block power. I have had over 20 classic muscle cars and I loved each one of them and driven the heJJ out of each one. You are not a car enthusiast, you are a car collector.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:35 PM   #54
20LbsBoost

Quote:
So....

What exactly do you consider low torque????
Do I really need to spell this out?

Quote:
But you never will modd or race your cars. You are one of those fools that will never drive your precious little low mile museum cars because you car not a car guy, you are a collector of things.

I am someone who has had Ford big blocks, Mopar small and big blocks, and GM small and big block power. I have had over 20 classic muscle cars and I loved each one of them and driven the heJJ out of each one. You are not a car enthusiast, you are a car collector.
Congratulations on your vehicle ownership history! You are the epitome of THE car enthusiast and own an import...I stand and applaud.

You're also a poor private eye. Again, you're trying to divert the thread into personal attacks instead of sticking to the facts which are [again] high HP/low TQ cars make poor quarter-milers. They do however make great NASCAR superspeedway engines. But I don't see too many Toyotas going around Talladega or Daytona.

Enjoy your fast and furious Toyota. Farewell......
Old 08-19-2003, 09:21 PM   #55
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Alright,i would LOVE to own a supra.The car has alot of potential and sinple boost raising will get me more power for $0 i've seen people do it all the time.But enough is enough.You need to stop reading books and stop showering us with some facts you read somewhere.Do this for a change.Go to a drag strip and take a look at the fastest cars on there.I bet the 2 cars you will see dominate the tracks will eather be a camaro or a mustang.I love my mustang and couldn't be happier with it,and untill i win the lottery and can afford my dream car i'll keep my stang.Also low torque is not a single number i guess what 20lbsboost was referring to is when the tq is much lower then the hp.take a look at the rx8 the car has 250hp but is extremely slow off the like because of only 150tq.That's why by the time you get into higher rpm's i will already be waiting for you at the finish line.Anyway that does not apply to the supra as much as the rx8,but i was just making a point.dammn this got long,but just stop your bashing of our beloved cars and get lost.
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 02:18 AM   #56
sedanman
Registered Member

First I am not going to pick any sides just point some things out:

First, I don't really get how a supra can't have torque first turbo charging is great for torque (which is why all semi's have them and a lot of pull tractors do to.) They have a inline six which is great for torque by design (ever look under the hood of a lot of big trucks or Jeeps).

Second, I am a owner of a car that traps 120+ and runs 12's but its not from a lack of torque (438ft-lbs) its from a lack of hook, I really need to put on ET streets and make a run for the 10's but do to the fact that I don't have a tremac that won't happen for a while.

Third, yes its true that supra tend to run more mph then lower traps but its mostly because when was the last time you were at the track and a supra was on slicks?

Fourth, don't judge people for racing from a roll, when you get to racing the big HP cars it dosn't become a fact that we don't want to race from a stop but the fact that it is truely SCAREY, even on hard hooking tires (ET streets) the street is not the track and it can be slick and having a 400+ rwhp car sliding everywhere next to a equally powerful car is VERY dangerous. So we tend to run from 40 rolls to eliminate MOST spinning, we don't do this because we can't race from stops or because we can't drive we do it because its just to dangerous. After all how many people just slap some crap on and have a 400 horsepower car most work there way there and thus learn how to drive over time.

Also if you compare stangs to supra in 1/4 times for the top 50 it would be a joke I bet number 50 would still be in the 9's probably 8's.

Just some of my .02@ cents

GONE 1991 Lx sedan 5.0, 5spd (Liberty proshifted TKO) S-trim, Ported TF heads everything parted out.
sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:58 AM   #57
T88H34GSUPRA
Registered Member

Jaegermeister2k,

No bashing here.
I have always liked Mustangs.
Mustangs probably have more potential as drag cars than just about anything else on the street.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:22 PM   #58
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by 20LbsBoost
Congratulations on your vehicle ownership history! You are the epitome of THE car enthusiast and own an import...I stand and applaud.

Oh Shhit!! That is funny as hell.

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 12:09 AM   #59
Coupe50h
Registered Member

Quote:
Now as you can see the Big Engine has a distinct advantage up to 3000rpms, after that, the smaller one surpasses it. The Big Engine also wont even rev past 4000rpm. So what does this mean? We'll, if both these engines were in the same type of car, with the same gearing. Then if they both raced side by side, the big engined car would easily pull away off the line, and would continue to pull till he reached a little over 3000rpm. At this point, the smaller, but higher output engine would just begin to make its real power. By 4000, the big engine car has to up shift to 2nd gear, and the resulting change in gearing means that even though it is back at it's torque peak, it is actually putting less torque to the ground than the smaller engine car, which since it can rev higher, is still in 1st gear, and enjoying more gear reduction. And as they keep up shifting and going faster, the difference will only get more pronounced.
BS

You made some good points, but you are talking about different engines, you can alter the torque peaks, and where they cross with any engine, a turboed v6 can be meant as a drag car, or a topend car, they will be good at what they are setup for.
Do not say the smaller motor has an advantage, we all heard "no replacemet for displacemet" you better believe it!!......what happens if you give a bigblock forced induction? it is going to whoop the smaller turboed engine twice as bad genius! x23849
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 12:50 PM   #60
sedanman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe50h
You made some good points, but you are talking about different engines, you can alter the torque peaks, and where they cross with any engine, a turboed v6 can be meant as a drag car, or a topend car, they will be good at what they are setup for.
Sorry, he (T88H34G supra) is right torque will always cross at 5250 hp is just a calculation done as a figure of torque and what rpms.

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe50h

Do not say the smaller motor has an advantage, we all heard "no replacemet for displacemet" you better believe it!!......what happens if you give a bigblock forced induction? it is going to whoop the smaller turboed engine twice as bad genius
Well maybe in 1960 but today as important as displacement is there is no replacement for technology. If I had a dollar for every time I have stomped a big block (even before the blower) I would be a rich man. Technology does a lot to make litte motors do some amazing things, sure with the same give technology and power adder will make more power but I would not expect ford to release a 514 with DOHC, twin turbos and variable valve timing any time soon. There is a lot to do with what makes power on a give engine and its a lot more then just boost and cubic inches.

GONE 1991 Lx sedan 5.0, 5spd (Liberty proshifted TKO) S-trim, Ported TF heads everything parted out.
sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: