MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-18-2002, 05:30 PM   #1
89 Cobra LX
Don Corlione

Question Racing with kids in the car?

So me and the fiance are going out on Saturday to look at a few halls for the wedding reception and I notice the weather is pretty decent.

"Hey honey, wanna take the Stang?" I ask.

She's all for it and as I'm backing out of the driveway a 99 GT convertible goes by with the top down. As we leave the nighborhood I'm hoping this guy is going the same direction we are. Sure enough he takes a right on Harrison St and I'm right behind him. We hit the first red light and I pull up next to him and oh crap..... there's a boy in the back-seat about 10 years old and girl up front that's about 12. I start to tell Jolene (the fiance) that I wish this guy didn't have any kids in the car when he throws a rev my way. Now ordinarily I would never race anyone with kids in their car, but it's been about 3 months since I've raced and let's face it, this guy was game......the light turns green and we're both spinning through first gear, by the time I hit second he's about a fender ahead of me and I'm sure he's thinking he was gonna beat the old 5.0. As soon as I get traction I pull a car-lenth in second, shift to third and pick up another two car lenths (my car pulls like a mother in third ). I take it up to 100mph then shut it down. My fiance is totally geeked, sometimes I think she gets a bigger kick out of racing that I do.

I take a right and this guy pulls up next to me giving me the big thumbs-up. I notice the kids in his car are wearing smiles as big as my finance's. These kids were loving it. So we both drop to second and go from about 30mph. Once again I lay the smack down and we go our seperate ways.

I was a little bothered about racing this guy. I would never race with kids in my car and usually when I notice someone else has little ones with them I never mess with them (kind of like a street racer's code). This guy threw the rev my way, so I just finished what he started. Luckily no one got hurt and the kids certainly enjoyed themselves... oh yeah, so did I.

I can't help but be really impressed with how well the factory 99+ 4.6s perform from the factory with just the addition of lower gears. I've beaten a 98 Cobra with gears and exhaust and this guy would've hung right with him..... maybe he wasn't all stock.
5 speed 302-Cobra Intake-GT40p heads-TFS stage 1 cam-FRPP 1.6 roller rockers-3:73 gears-KYB shocks and struts-Eibach Pro-kit-HPM Mega-bite upper and lower control arms-FRPP aluminum driveshaft-16x8 Chrome Cobra Rs

R.H.C. #14
89 Cobra LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 05:50 PM   #2
Milktasd
Registered Member

Wink eh..

Well since I am not married and don't have any kids, I don't have that worry. But if I ever have my friend's sisters in my car, they WANT me to race someone. They like racing more than I do. LOL
flowmaster 2 chamber Delta 40 series
Milktasd is offline   Reply With Quote