MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-11-2001, 04:50 PM   #21
LS1JAY
Registered Member

sedanman, I just sold my 90' Firebird Formula 350(TPI), with bolt-ons, stock 327 gears and stock converter it ran 13.40 @ 102MPH on drag radials and I have timeslips to prove it!!! when it was bone stock it ran 14.2 @ 97MPH on street tires!!!! LeadSled1 was the guy I was talking about, and almost all of the LS1's I saw that day(15 or so) the slowest ones were low 13's and they avereged mid to low 12's on street tires, I don't know where you keep seeing these slow LS1's!!!!!!!I admitt I have saw a couple, but it was the driver not the car!!! don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if a guy with a viper came on to LS1.com I would not tell him his car was slow!! I know better, I was not trying to say you could not beat a Ram Air T/A, just that you would need a better trap speed than 103 to do so!

[This message has been edited by LS1JAY (edited 01-11-2001).]
LS1JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 07:54 PM   #22
LeadSled1
Registered Member

Smile

Well sedanman would have enough to kill me when I was stock easily, both ET and MPH. Most of the cars out there on Saturday were well modded. All of us but Jay had atleast full exhaust (headers/offroad/cutout). The cars respond very well to mods but just like the 5.0 they have to be the right ones. You just can't bolt on this and that and expect them to work together. That is why you have such a wide margin in what cars run with mods. What is good for one can hurt another. Do your mods one at a time and monitor how your car performs. Thats how I did my car. The only mistake I made was going with a MAF that made my car too rich and I had to go back over myself and get another MAF. I'm still happy with about $950 in mods for how the car does. The cars do very alot stock. I am alittle jealous of how some of these guys like Jay's car run. It took me a good amount of mods to get where they are at but with a few more my car jumped out ahead of the other guys. The closest anyone else is locally to my times with similar mods is 12.8, but my friend Joey is only .04 behind me at the same MPH with alot more mods. He has a HPP3 programmer, a ASP pulley and suspension mods on DRs. With those mods I should be able to reach 11s and 113-114 traps. Right now I hold the record for a bolt on only LS1 on street tires for ET, and I do not have any weight removed other than the spare and jack.

jess
LeadSled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 10:48 PM   #23
LS1JAY
Registered Member

Cool

OK, so maybe I was wrong! I guess that most of the LS1's I have saw run had atleast 2 0r 3 simple mods, some only free mods, maybe some of them do run a little slower than the average! and I will admitt that I have saw some pretty slow L-98's(350TPI) even though my buddys 89' vete ran a 13.2 @ 102 with a 170,000 miles on his motor! his only mods are: !cats removed, custom x pipe with Flowmaster 2 chamber mufflers, 160 thermostat, MAF screen removed, air foil, and a stock converter (2500) out of a 85 corvette, with 252 gears!! I don't know how some of these cars run so much better than others! but some do!! just like those slow 5.0's and then you'll see some running realy strong! some do and some don't!!!!!
Old 01-11-2001, 11:53 PM   #24
exgmguy
Registered Member

Remember these LS1 guys run at or below sea level. Most of the tracks in the midwest are aound 2000 ft. That is good for a couple of mph.

Why do you think they get the best magazine times at E-town?

BTW, here in Detroit my old 88 350 GTA had a slew of bolt ons. intake, headers, exhaust, pulleys, cold air, TB, 2800 PI convertor, 3.70 gears, and drag radials and it ran a whopping 13.8 @ 98-99. With a low 1.8 60 ft.

You guys in Florida just have a good fast track. Great for comparing slips on the internet.

------------------
1988 Mustang GT

12.0 @ 121 on radials
S-trim Vortech sitting in a box!
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 12:00 AM   #25
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

Angry

Slow 5.0's???? Hey man, if you think you can come onto our boards and try so start $HIT, think again, you are probably some jerk off kid, that wets his pants every time he sees a newer Z or Firebird. I like those cars, but it is little punks like you who make us ford guys hate GM's. Take some advice from LedSled1, he is probably one of the classiest, and knowledgable GM guys around. Too bad all GM guys weren't like him, he comes on here and forms a "rare" GM/Ford friendship, and there are a few other cool GM guys on here too, but then if we all totally got along, I guess it would be a perfect world

------------------
Dustin
1990 Saleen GTSport #14
TFS Street Heat Upper & Lower(Black), TFS TW heads, TFS 3/8" Phenolic Spacer, E303 Cam, FMS 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK 70mm TB, FMS 70mm MAF, MAC 1 5/8" Equals, Dynomax Super Turbo 2 1/2" cat back, Bassani 2 1/2" Off-Road X-Pipe, MSD 6AL Ignition w/ MSD TFI Coil, Home made Ram Air, Racecraft Suspension

60ft: 2.158
330ft: 5.396
660ft: 8.271 @ 91.43

SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2001, 07:32 AM   #26
LeadSled1
Registered Member

Wink

Dustin, I think you took him alittle out of context LOL. I think he ment you see some slow 5.0s and you see some fast 5.0. I think Jay comes off alittle awkward across the internet but he is a good guy in person. Some people just do not take care of their cars and just beat the hell out of them. We have a good amount of 5.0 fox and SN95 cars in our club. I think the slowest one is around 13.1-12.9, but you never fail to see a ragged out high milage one at the track getting the hell beat out of it. It's sad to see, but I guess some people just don't care. It goes for all cars. The LS1s are new enough that it isn't too common to see one where lack of maintainence has taken it's toll yet. I have seen some screwed up early LT1s though. I think I get along good with the Ford guys since I have owned them before. If I had my choice I would be driving a notch with a incon setup but at the time this was the best for what I needed. My car had to stay as close to stock as possible.

jess
Old 01-12-2001, 08:17 PM   #27
LS1JAY
Registered Member

SaleenGTS, calm down dude! you think I am a punk kid? for your info I'm 30 yrs old and to top it off I never said mustangs were slow, what I meant was you see some slow ones and you see some fast ones!!!! just as with any cars! understand?? I'm not trying to start anything, most of my buddy's own Mustangs, and fast ones too!! you misunderstood me! I do not hate Mustangs! and if I sound like a jerk, I do not mean to! trust me, I am not trying to start anything!!!
Old 01-13-2001, 03:17 AM   #28
Rev
Registered Member

The fastest LS1 I ever saw was at HRP (about sea level). It belonged to a guy from La Fayette La. It was a '99 black TA. The only stock things left on the car were the heads, cam, valve train etc. The induction was reworked (aftermarket), 2800 stall and shift kit in the A4, complete after market exhaust (Borla?) and drag radials. These were the things visible.

He said he ran mid 12's and I believe it. I ran against him and actually beat him to the 660 when he came roaring past me. This was a Fri. and is Test & Tune night, so you only get your own time slip on those nights.

I talked to the guy in the staging lanes and all he would say was that he always ran mid 12's. It was a quick LS1.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 02:40 PM   #29
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

LS1Jay- Apology accepted, but I think I owe you one too. I did misunderstand you, but you need to know that I was in a bad mood that day, and I have to deal with all of these high egoed HS punks that have daddy's that buy them the world, talking crap and showing off in their GM's. I am really a GM fan myself....just a bigger ford fan , and as LedSled informed me that you may have came off wrong, I am sorry. Peace

------------------
Dustin
1990 Saleen GTSport #14
TFS Street Heat Upper & Lower(Black), TFS TW heads, TFS 3/8" Phenolic Spacer, E303 Cam, FMS 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK 70mm TB, FMS 70mm MAF, MAC 1 5/8" Equals, Dynomax Super Turbo 2 1/2" cat back, Bassani 2 1/2" Off-Road X-Pipe, MSD 6AL Ignition w/ MSD TFI Coil, Home made Ram Air, Racecraft Suspension

60ft: 2.158
330ft: 5.396
660ft: 8.271 @ 91.43

SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 04:01 PM   #30
LeadSled1
Registered Member

Talking

We need to teach Jay how to add some etc to his posts to get the emotins across.

jess
Old 01-13-2001, 08:05 PM   #31
LS1JAY
Registered Member

SaleenGTS, it seems that I stick my foot in my mouth sometimes,I accept your appology just as you did mine! you have a pretty darn fast car to run that MPH in the 1/8 ! mine only runs 85MPH in the 1/8 mile, and by the way Leadslead, I dont think I know how to make all those faces but I will try a smiley and see what happens later guys "J"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: