MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Small Ponies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-27-2002, 12:22 PM   #1
Shirley Ransome
Registered Member

Default What can I do to my Gold Pony

Hello Everyone

What can I do to my Gold and Black 2000 V6 Mustang, as far as, modifying it? Also, is there a way, where I can make the car sound better, when I gun the motor, when it starts, sitting at a light, like roar maybe. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, as I am new to this. I have had my car for 2 years now and want to make it purr!!!! I just love her. This is my first mustang....I am in love with this car!

Shirley
Shirley Ransome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 12:43 AM   #2
84LX89GT
Mustangs

You're lucky there's a whole bunch of options to modify your car. You name it, you can do it. Just ask questions according to what you want.

Now to make your car sound better, there are exhaust systems that you can buy that convert it from a single exhaust pipe to dual exhaust pipes with larger piping and freer flowing mufflers, etc. The advantage of this is 1. The sound is deeper and loudness depends on the muffler you get and if or how many catalytic converters there is in the exhaust (stock on your car i believe has 3, 2 before when they come together and 1 right after they join). this will give you the roar sound you want
and 2. you'll get better gas mileage and more power because the engine isn't trying to push the exhaust out, instead it's pulling itself out (i won't discuss exhaust scavenging or temperature/pressure waves...little too complicated for a beginner)
There are kits to convert your car to GT/Cobra exhaust which sounds nice and is fairly quiet. But if you want your car to roar a really popular exhaust manufacturer is Flowmaster. You can find flowmaster at http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/web10/indexf5.html
They have sound clips as well, and you can email them and ask them about a shop nearby that does exhaust or you can ask them where you can buy it to do it yourself.
also a company called MAC makes lots of V6 exhaust options:
http://www.macperformance.com/macsto...atemustang.asp
You can contact them as well about shops that will do work or just to buy it yourself. Chances are if you buy exhaust that is street legal (has catalytic converters in the "H-pipe") any shop will install it for you and most are fairly easy to install so there's not a whole lot of shop time involved.
Good luck,

1980 Ford Thunderbird - 255 V8
ported heads, 5.0L ported stock headers, O.R. H-pipe and Flowmaster 2-chambers, dual roller timing chain
hi-po Mack Truck hood emblem

1985 Mustang GT 5.0L T5, F-303, GT40p, headers, off-road h, flowmasters, MSD stuff, etc.

Sold 02/06/04
1989 Mustang GT ET: 13.304@102.29 mph (5-24-03)

Sold - 1998 Mustang Cobra coupe, 1/4 mile - street tires: 13.843@103.41 (bone stock)
84LX89GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 10:03 AM   #3
Shirley Ransome
Registered Member

Thumbs up Thank you for replying

Thank you, for replying....I was begining to wonder if it was just me. I have copied this and will give it to my mechanic to see if he can do the work. I am still learning about mustangs and would not are attempt, (yet), to try to do the work. It's nice to know that there are people who are very knowledgable and willing to share, without making the recipient feel stupid, or tell me you are just a woman, go cook something.

Have a great day!
Shirley Ransome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 06:41 PM   #4
GodStang
College Stanger

I agree with a4lx89gt. He has some good stuff to say. As far as mufflers it all depends on the sound that you like. You can put headers on it for even better HP gains and better sound. MAC makes a Great h-pip for the 6 that sounds great. Pic up a Muscle Mustang and Fast Ford and look through it and see what you like. You have any more Questions just ask. Good luck.