View Single Post
Old 02-25-2003, 11:18 PM   #2
Technick
Registered Member

At this point, with the level of mods to the car, and considering the hassel of installing headers, get it over with and install the long tubes. If you have a tubular K-member, so much the better. If not, if you can afford it install a tubular K-member at the same time. I have found that the fastest way to install headers on the 4.6, be they long tubes or shorty's is to drop the K-member out of the way. That means having to support the engine from above, but it makes installing the headers a breeze, especially if you have access to air tools and a side post lift. The major up-side is the fact that you should never have to up-grade the exhaust system again despite any future mods you may do outside a full on purpose built drag car. For the effort required the shorty's just do not provide the bang for the buck, 10-20 H.P. tops. I have installed BBK long tubes on both Cobra and GT 4.6 engines and they have great ground clearance and fit rather nicely. Unless you try to install them with the K-member in place then they are a real pain. I have also installed JBA shorty and Ford Motorsport shorty headers on Cobra and GT 4.6 Mustangs and they are everybit as much a pain in the butt as the long tubes.
By far the worst set to install, even with the K-member out was a set of Sean Hyland long tubes, plug the ground clearance was nil. This was 5 years ago and I hear Sean Hyland has changed suppliers since then. They were by far the BEST sounding headers I have ever heard! But it was a lot of pain and suffering just for the sound quality.