MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2002, 01:35 AM   #1
WhiteT78Supra
Registered Member

Default Ran a turbo Integra, a Grand National, and two bikes!!!

This is a story about a few races that happend Friday night. I just thought I would share them with you.

Well I finally got my GReddy four row intercooler on today. I put about 10 gallons of 115 octane in and went out to try to tune my car. At first it was running great at 28 pounds of boost, but later in the day it started to blow the spark out. By early evening I could only run around 22 pounds of boost.

So I am out running around and I come upon two cars at the light, about 3 cars in front of me, getting ready to race. It turns out one was a turbo Civic. The car that won was a turbo Integra. I pulled up to the Integra and told him "good kill". He said he wanted no part of me, but he went anyway after a little prodding on my part. I gave him a 1 car jump from 30 mph and floored it. I pulled about 5 cars on him to 80 ish mph. We went one more time from a 15 mph roll and I pulled two cars on him and quickly let off. I slowed down and asked him what he had done and his friend that he had with him said he had a T3/T4 with a front mount intercooler and upgraded fuel system.

After racing the Integra I cruised around for about 20 min, when I saw a black Grand National with white 10 spoke rims parked in AutoZone parking lot. I pulled up to him and told him that I liked his car. He said thanks and said he liked my car. He thought it was a Celica. I asked him what he was doing. He told me that he was looking for some fast cars to run. He asked me if there were any around here. I told him there were a few if he knew where to look. He asked me if I had anything done to my car. I told him that it was a stock motor with a few mods. He said "like an intake" I said "yeah, it's got an intake on it". I asked him what his car runs. He told me that it ran a 12.18 in the 1/4 mile on street tires and that it had a PT52 turbo in it with upgraded fuel system and stock stall. We watched a brown turbo Regal T-Type drive by, I smashed him twice about 2 months ago. He asked me if there were any cars around that were sleepers. I told him that I would show him one that was a serious sleeper if he would follow me in his car about two blocks. He told me to lead the way and he would follow. I pulled out and just started driving down the road. I goosed the gas a few time to get him to bite, he did on the third time. He nailed it and pulled up hard from about two cars back. When his car was pulling along side I nailed it and he gained about a 1/4 car on me for about a 1/2 second, than I pulled on him hard. I pulled about 2 cars on him when he let off. I followed him into a parking lot and told him that my car was the sleeper that I was talking about. He could not believe he got pulled that hard by a Toyota.

After I raced the GN I was on my way home when a bike came up behind me and started to gun it. I nailed it with him about 1 car behind me. By the time I let off I had pulled several more cars away from him. We both pulled over into a Shell station parking lot and talked for a little while. His bike was an older Ninja ZX10.

After the run with the ZX10 I see two friends pull up on their bikes, one on a F3 and the other on an F4i. The F4i and I go out to race, the F3 just tagging along to watch and do some wheelies. I ran him from a 20 mph roll. We both started out in first gear. We were side by side to about 105 when I started to pull on him hard. I let off and we did it again from a 40 mph roll. This time I just pulled away from him and let off again at about 90 mph. He was impressed. Him and I both have a mutual friend with a blown 99 Mustang Cobra. They raced last night and the F4i pulled him hard the whole way. The Mustang Cobra traps 127 in the 1/4.

I can't wait to get my ignition problem fixed and crank the boost up some more.

Bob

White 93 6spd Supra, targa top, no wing, GReddy T78 turbo, GReddy 4 row intercooler, GReddy/BLITZ shorty D.P. combo, DEI thermal turbine wrap, DEI thermal header / D.P. wrap, GReddy Type R wastegate, GReddy Type R BOV, HKS fuel rail, 720cc injectors, Aeromotive FPR, dual in-tank pumps, APEXi N1, GReddy BCC, GReddy Profec B, HKS VPC, APEXi S-AFC, Greddy 52mm boost gauge, GReddy 52mm EGT gauge, Unorthodox cam gears / underdrive pulleys, GReddy turbo timer, B&M shifter, TRD pressureplate, Arizona clutch, TRD strut bar, 255/45 front and 315/35R17 Nitto drag radials out back, Redline Water Wetter, Brembo cross drilled rotors, and Brembo pads.
WhiteT78Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 01:57 AM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Nice kills...that's a pretty cool car you got there

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 08:35 AM   #3
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Well, I'm impressed. Sweet sweet ride. I know you may not want to say, but what kinda power do you see at 28 lb boost? Just curious. Oh.. haha, how much you spendin on gas, haha. Small fortune? Great kills man.

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 08:41 AM   #4
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Very sweet ride.....Impressive kills!! You have a grip of cash wrapped up in that car man.....I wish more import owners were like you.

Much respect.
Later,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 01:46 PM   #5
*Steeda90GT*
Registered Member

115 octane? Damn. That car must be fast if your dusting F3s. I sure as hell wouldnt trust that as a dailly driver car. Sounds like you have some serious cash into it. What happens when you run regualr 93 octane?
94 Oxford White GT. 17" Factory wheels with 275/40/17 Nitto Drag Radials. Vortech S-Trim, Anderson Power Pipe, 24lb injectors, T-Rex external, 190lph internal, 3.55s, 65mm TB, Pro M 77mm MAF, Pro 5.0 shifter, Saleen Gauges, Crane ignition, MAC longtubes, catalytic h-pipe, flowmasters.
*Steeda90GT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 01:59 PM   #6
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Nice kills man. That sounds like an awesome car (always was a supra fan ) Do you have any pictures of it? Sounds badass

Later,
Nick
1987 Toyota Pickup
Ricer Haters Club Member #33

Want a custom gauge cluster for your Vintage Mustang?
www.jmeenterprises.com
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 02:50 PM   #7
7up
Registered Member

I don't think your running enough boost. j/k That's awesome. I have also always liked Supras.
Ricer Hater's Club-member #16
7up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 08:51 PM   #8
WhiteT78Supra
Registered Member

tireburner163,

Thanks.

Rice Hunter,

Thanks for the complement.
I haven’t had it on the dyno yet.
I spend way too much on gas.

Dark_5.0,

Thanks man.
I have a couple of $$$$$ in it... A couple too many.

*Steeda90GT*,

It's been my weekend driver for almost six years. It's perfectly reliable.
I have to turn the boost down some on pump gas. I try to keep it in the low 500 rwhp range on pump gas to be safe.

MidNiteBlu 5.0,

Thanks. I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

7up,

I wouldn't mind running 30 pounds. I think I'll have to get cams first though. The stock cams seem to be a bottle neck at right around 28 pounds of boost on most T78 Supra's ( 670-ish rwhp) and my current boost controller won't maintain boost above 28 pounds.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:56 PM   #9
mean81GT
Registered Member

not trying to start anything here, but you're beating low 10 second bikes, with average riders. those things factory do high 9's. your car is that wicked and you've never had it dyno tuned?
Old 07-16-2002, 10:26 PM   #10
WhiteT78Supra
Registered Member

mean81GT,

No, it's never been on the dyno.

I read somewhere that a 600 F4i was supposed to run a 10.82 stock in the 1/4 mile, with a professional rider, I'm not sure what mph they trap at though.
White 93 6spd Supra, targa top, no wing, GReddy T78 turbo, GReddy 4 row intercooler, GReddy/BLITZ shorty D.P. combo, DEI thermal turbine wrap, DEI thermal header / D.P. wrap, GReddy Type R wastegate, GReddy Type R BOV, HKS fuel rail, 720cc injectors, Aeromotive FPR, dual in-tank pumps, APEXi N1, GReddy BCC, GReddy Profec B, HKS VPC, APEXi S-AFC, Greddy 52mm boost gauge, GReddy 52mm EGT gauge, Unorthodox cam gears / underdrive pulleys, GReddy turbo timer, B&M shifter, TRD pressureplate, Arizona clutch, TRD strut bar, 255/45 front and 315/35R17 Nitto drag radials out back, Redline Water Wetter, Brembo cross drilled rotors, and Brembo pads.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:24 AM   #11
sedanman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mean81GT
not trying to start anything here, but you're beating low 10 second bikes, with average riders. those things factory do high 9's. your car is that wicked and you've never had it dyno tuned?
600 F4I are not 9sec bikes infact with the average rider they are probably high 10's at best, probably low 11's.

I to can't beleive he hasn't dyno tuned it, but having rode in it several times I can assure you it runs quite strong (I have not ridin in it since the new FMIC).
sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 09:57 AM   #12
Aquaman
Registered Member

Quote:
Again Like Bob and Jeff have said the Honda is a high 10's bike in the magazines but more like a low - mid 11's bike in real life since the mags adjust for Sea level (crazy) and use a 130 pound rider. the 9's bike your talking about would be a "NEW" ZX-12 not the old ZX-10 they were good for mid to high 10's when ridden very well usually 10.8's to 11.5's(I know I had one before my V-Max) Bob Traped what, mid 120.'s before his latest mods and now......He is faster the the other T78 supra in our area that was dead even with a gutted S/C 01 Mustang that traps 126's so Yeah I believe that Bob put the smack on those bike's with not much problem.

Nice Kill Bob. Hopefully I'll see ya Fri. or Sat.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:34 AM   #13
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

I can't say I know a lot about this, but if you get a dyno tune, shouldn't you seen even better performance? (just saying this because when my new chip was dyno tuned, eliminating the original vortech program, I saw SIGNIFICANT gains in power). Dude, if this is true for you, get it dyno tuned, strap wings on that puppy and go ahead and break the sound barrier! (oh yeah, don't kill yourself either )

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 09:50 PM   #14
mean81GT
Registered Member

i'm not saying you can't beat the bikes. my bike is fast, but i know of cars that can beat it. they won't race me, but i know they can beat it. but anyone that as heavy into their car as you are logically would have their car dynoed. have you ever run at a strip? if so, post times. can we see some pictures? not calling you a liar, but without much proof it's kinda hard to swallow.
if you had said you were beating anything less than 10 second bikes it would be a different story man.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:38 PM   #15
WhiteT78Supra
Registered Member

mean81GT,

There is no need to dyno tune my car yet. I will do it when I am done with all of my mods.

I ran it at the strip before I had my front mount intercooler. If I remember correctly I ran a 12.008 @ 124.86 mph with a 2.3 60' time. That run was on 18 pounds of boost and on an unprepared track. At the same 18 pounds of boost the car should make close to 50 more rwhp now that I have my front mount intercooler. At 28 pounds of boost I should have close to 175 more hp at the wheels than when I did that run.

Last edited by WhiteT78Supra; 07-17-2002 at 10:48 PM..
Old 07-17-2002, 10:42 PM   #16
sedanman
Registered Member

Quote:
but anyone that as heavy into their car as you are logically would have their car dynoed.
Dude we get the point, but regardless beleive me its for real.

Quote:
have you ever run at a strip? if so, post times.
His OLD time was a 12.4@124 again this is a OLD time.

Quote:
can we see some pictures?
Its a stock looking supra with no spoiler

Quote:
not calling you a liar, but without much proof it's kinda hard to swallow.
There are three people backing him up, hell I have been here like 3 1/2 years and have 667 post, as hard as it may be to swallow but its the truth.

GONE 1991 Lx sedan 5.0, 5spd (Liberty proshifted TKO) S-trim, Ported TF heads everything parted out.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:43 PM   #17
mean81GT
Registered Member

according to cycle world magazine, the honda cbr 600 f4i runs 10.28 at 130. if you beat him, you didn't blow him away like you said. even with your added 10 lbs of boost, you won't lose a second and a half in the 1/4 just like that.

Last edited by mean81GT; 07-17-2002 at 10:53 PM..
mean81GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:48 PM   #18
mean81GT
Registered Member

sedanman, there is documented proof that you have been here 3 years and have 667 posts, so i can't dispute that fact. i can argue with unsubstantiated claims all i want, doesn't mean i'm right, but until it is substantiated by something other than someone's word, i can choose what i believe or don't.

p.s. and this didn't start out as me doubting his story. this was just curiousity asking why would he dump 20 k or more into a car to not know what it makes on the dyno. you'd be right if you guessed that if i had a 700 rwhp car i would know it for a fact, with dyno sheets to drool on. dyno tuned or not.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:50 PM   #19
MattwantsSpeed
Registered Member

Your 60 foot time is pretty bad huh?? I have seen a couple Supra's at the track and each time I have seen some pretty bad 60's, they must be VERY difficult to launch. I saw one inparticular die off the line but finished with similar speed and time as your old times. Great job and sweet car man!

Best to date: 14.331@97.46mph with 14*/stock fan/short belt and a 2.222 60' in 90 degree weather

Waiting to put on Off road H and 1 5/8 headers

Rice Hater's Club #36
MattwantsSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:58 PM   #20
sedanman
Registered Member

Quote:
according to cycle world magazine, the honda cbr 600 f4i runs 10.28 at 130. if you beat him, you didn't blow him away like you said. even with your added 10 lbs of boost, you won't lose a second and a half in the 1/4 just like that.
The run in question happened from a roll so throw the time out the window all that matter is trap speed. The bike with a perfesional driver ran 130 traps. Lets say a quality rider could get 127 or so out of it (a less experienced rider even lower). Now his car traped 124 before this last round of mods, on a typical supra they can gain 5-10 mph in traps (atleast with what I have read) so if you take his trap and add 5-10mph you get traps in the 129-134 range, or almost 7mph more (on the high end) suddenly its not so hard to beleive.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: