MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-06-2002, 05:16 PM   #1
Barrfight
Registered Member

Default Research on a newer Eclipse Spyder Covertible

The kid who lives across the street from me traded in his 97 chevy z71 stepside (pretty kickass IMO) for a 1998-up Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder convertible. It's a manual, 5 speed I think, hasn't been riced out yet, completely stock. Can anyone tell me what kind of horsepower, torque, and quarter-mile times these have?
Are there any AWD or "special edition" versions of these cars I should be watching for? This is the 3rd one in a town of 30,000 people that I've seen so far. The other 2 won't race but I wanna try this kid cuz he was talking **** about how the car is sooooooooo fast and that fords suck and all this crap i didn't care to hear. here's the funny part: he was learning to drive it today. Either that or he was drunk. He killed it like 4 times at the end of the court that we live on. I know it won't be fair if he's learning to drive a stick, but oh well, life's not fair.............Maybe I'll give him a race after 6 months....thanks in advance for the info.

HOOAH!

Red 1991 LX 5.0 Hatchback
BBK Headers
2 Chamber Flowmasters
2 1/2 in. exhaust
Underdrives
1.7 roller rockers
ported stock intake and heads
3.73 gears
Barrfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 06:48 PM   #2
The Deuce
Registered Member

Default Slaughter?

There were a few variations of that car as I recal. They made an AWD car (gs-x) but I don't think you could get that with a 'vert. Those in coupe form would run high 14's in the 1/4. The hot convertible was the GS-T and would run in the 15's somewhere. Not exactly fast. Figure about 200-220hp on the turbo cars. If the car is a GS, or RS, then no turbo. You can tell by the exhaust pipe, double tips = turbo if memory serves me.
In any event, with your mods he is a long way from keeping up. I suppose if you launch from second or third it may be close.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 10:15 PM   #3
Tricked Out Yod
Registered Member

Hmm my friend owns a Spyder convert with a exhaust mods but thats it. There not all that great Im guessing, you might wanna look up at Mitsu's web site for stats. My friends 98 Stock Auto Mustang GT toasts it. I think you could use reverse on him and make it fair enough
1987 Mustang LX 5.0 bored 0.40 over, 306ci, recent rebuild, 5 speed manual overdrive, recent rebuild as well, summit adj. alum clutch quadrant, anodized alum. underdrive pulleys, mac unequal length shorty headers, flowmaster mufflers, bbk chrome cold air induction kit, k&n conical filter, new struts and tie rod ends.
Tricked Out Yod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 02:05 AM   #4
Barrfight
Registered Member

Default 90 mph in 2nd with a 5 speed?

Deuce, as far as my mods go, I ditched the Nitrous kit. It was burning a hole in my pocket. Lots of fun though. I just didn't like having to fill the bottle all the time. I think I still have plenty to keep the little punk at bay. My bro rode in the car and said they were doing 90 in second gear. It is a 5speed like i thought. Any comments on this bit of info? I think he'll top out higher but he'll take forever to get up to speed.

HOOAH!

BBK Headers
2 Chamber Flowmasters
2 1/2 in. exhaust
Underdrives
1.7 roller rockers
3.73 gears
Old 06-07-2002, 07:19 AM   #5
Rice Hunter
Registered Member

Yeah, my friend did 90 in second gear once. It's a little trick we like to call, "Forgetting to Shift into Third" It's a neat trick in a slow car, cause it will make all sorts of cool noises! Like bang, sizzle, and don't forget, snap crackle and pop. Of course, my friend's car was a POS.

453.9rwhp
387trq
Lots of fun
Convertible

Penn State University
Temple University School of Medicine (start August 27th )
Rice Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 04:24 PM   #6
Barrfight
Registered Member

Default OOPS

sorry everybody, my bad, it's a 97 eclipse spyder turbo, but not awd. i should still beat him. just curious, what kind of numbers is this capable of stock?

HOOAH!

BBK Headers
2 Chamber Flowmasters
2 1/2 in. exhaust
Underdrives
1.7 roller rockers
3.73 gears
Old 06-07-2002, 07:15 PM   #7
Torinalth
Registered Member

bah, its a crap car.... better handeling than his Z28, but not faster. either it is modded and he lied about being stock or he is just on the new car high.

a stock 97 spyder turbo will run the 1/4 in ~15.4. I have run a 14.8 in my RSX, but only 15.4 stock. I have a better setup on the RSX, but he has another 50 FT of torque. between the eclipse and I it would be about even. now considering that I have beaten a 91 type (dont know exact year, but that body) auto 5.0 LX, and stayed just about even with another of the same type. considering they were stock and you have mods...... he has no chance. eat him.

Torinalth

oh, and just for spite, if he races with the top down then bring a bag of uncle bens and toss it into his car once he loses

Torinalth
Old 06-08-2002, 04:02 AM   #8
Barrfight
Registered Member

how about rice pudding? it'll stick better!

HOOAH!

BBK Headers
2 Chamber Flowmasters
2 1/2 in. exhaust
Underdrives
1.7 roller rockers
3.73 gears