MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 04:02 PM   #41
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 98SteedaGT
Didn't the Cobra R's come with NO A/C?... If so, then Dark I figured you of all people wouldn't want it.. Texas Plains + Summer + No A/C = Mobile Saunna..

I don't know about you, but it's too d*mn hot down here to not have an A/C.. I would understand if it was a vert... but geez, I couldn't drive around in the heat like that.....
No A/C ..........Would be pretty hard to handle considering it was 105+ Tues. and Wed.

Dry Texas heat sux.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:07 PM   #42
98SteedaGT
Registered Member

Yeah... tell me about it... after today I am going to put in my visors for the T-Tops... not used to the sun coming straight down through the roof of the car..

// Now own 2001 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L \\
Old 08-30-2002, 06:48 PM   #43
Kamaro Killer
Mustang Enthusiast

Talking you could always just move

to California. I think with the nice beach breeze blowing through today, it was a cool, sunny, 78*. Sorry, just had to do it to you guys in that 100+ heat Keith

Rice Hater's Club Member 22
Old 09-01-2002, 02:24 AM   #44
The Deuce
Registered Member

Keith, be nice to the Texas guys. I almost broke a sweat sitting around at the car show up at the fair grounds. I don't know how you can handle being so far inland.

If you make it out there tomorrow, (Sunday afternoon) I'll be in the group with I a couple '32 sedans, a 47 woody, a '67 Chevelle, and some other stuff. On the side by the swapmeet where the grass meets the campers. Ask one of the old guys if Mike is around (Eric's friend). Its a good time.

Rice Haters Club Member #13
Old 10-17-2002, 04:18 PM   #45
Norfolk_Mustard
Registered Member

As a Lotus Elise owner based in the UK I thought I'd add a few comments to what you have been discussing. Sorry it's so out of date thread wise.

My particular car, being in the UK is fitted with the Rover engine and is a Lotus tuned engine with 160bhp from the factory and abuot 170bhp now. Doing a quick conversion it's about 1580lbs.
Therefore about 235bhp/ton (metric). There are cars running here in the Uk with about 230bhp N/A and some with 260bhp supercharged. For the 1/4 recently, on a less than grippy strip some standard (120bhp) cars were running 14s and a 230bhp in the low 13s. As you have stated the US Elises have either a Honda engine and can be used on the road, or a Rover engine for track use only. The Rover engine was designed for European regulations not US.

As you have said it is all about the corners. If you have a look on my website you will see some videos taken around the Nuerburgring, while my knowledge of the circuit helps, the Elise is very good around there, but some of the longer straights do make it suffer a bit, as i was only touching about 135mph, as opposed to some of the Porsches doing 160mph. A lap is 13miles, and the video doesn't show a full lap as on public days they close off part of the main straight. However the Elise goes round in about 9mins, and thats me taking it easy as I has to drive back to the UK from Germany in the car. Picture of the car on the ring below.

Having driven a large number of different vehicles including some US 'muscle' I personally prefer the nimbleness of the Lotus. Most US cars in my experience are not as well sorted suspension wise as European cars, not being contriversial, it's just you don't have the same type of roads we do, so manufacturers don't design for it.

On the subject of tyres, the Yokohame A038 is the standard tyre on the Lotus 340R (Basically a stripped out Elise with a new body shell) this weighs about 1530lbs.

I don't drop in very often but if there are any questions about the car ask away.

Oh yeah, It's only in the last few months on the new model that A/C is available on the Elise, not that suited to the US

My site is http://www.elise-s160.co.uk

2000 Lotus Elise Sport 160
1962 Mini Cooper
Old 10-18-2002, 01:27 AM   #46
ItzDaLexus300
Registered Member

ummm just one question. Since when is a 1988 Dodge Van rice?

Although i do love the low 12 sec daily driven Turbo 4 caravan thats always a hoot. The point of those videos isnt to go Hey look domestics are a waste buy import. Theya re to show that witht he right setup and $$ (need the green) anything is possible.

1996 SC300 5spd ~"Some Mods" **cough**

1987 Pontiac Fiero Project. Ask for Details
Old 10-18-2002, 12:11 PM   #47
ImportKiller
Registered Member

Default Enough of this Stock for Stock crap

Bottom line is the Elise is a bad ***** ride...

But i think we're all missing a major point here

Nobody gives a Rats ***** about stock....

What really matters in a car is its Potential...

its HP potential....and if you match these cars together....

The Cobra can be built up to be way faster than the elise....

It would be eaiser and not cost as much for the Cobra to do...but the elise has to work twice as hard to get to the same....

It's not where you start out at...but its how far you can go....

and im' talking streetable not ridicuouls stuff like a cobra or elise shell with a 4.5 sec drag engine in it....

http://geocities.com/team340maxim

1989 Mustang LX 5.0
JBA Headers, Bassani X-Pipe
Mac 3' Catback system.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:41 PM   #48
this is not cbring
Registered Member

Default Re: Enough of this Stock for Stock crap

Quote:
Originally posted by ImportKiller
Bottom line is the Elise is a bad ***** ride...

But i think we're all missing a major point here

Nobody gives a Rats ***** about stock....

What really matters in a car is its Potential...

its HP potential....and if you match these cars together....

The Cobra can be built up to be way faster than the elise....

It would be eaiser and not cost as much for the Cobra to do...but the elise has to work twice as hard to get to the same....

It's not where you start out at...but its how far you can go....

and im' talking streetable not ridicuouls stuff like a cobra or elise shell with a 4.5 sec drag engine in it....

i disagree. under that school of thought, it doesn't matter that Car A currently runs 14.6's and gets tooled consistently by Car B that runs 13.3's, what matters is that Car A has potential to run streetable 10's, whereas Car B doesn't have much potential to get past high 11's.........all the potential in the world isn't going to help Car A beat Car B today

IMO, it isn't how far you CAN go, it is how far you HAVE gone and where you are today
Old 10-20-2002, 05:23 AM   #49
1bad232
Registered Member

Aren't you all forgetting ford did make a Lotus Elise or I should say they are It's called the GT40 coming to a dealership near you soon. Big supercharged 5.4, mid-engined, and light! The only reason the Elise won, is because its gutted. Also who cares if the elise won, even the import guys at the end of that article said they would rather be driving the Cobra R....
Old 10-20-2002, 05:41 PM   #50
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by 1bad232
Aren't you all forgetting ford did make a Lotus Elise or I should say they are It's called the GT40 coming to a dealership near you soon. Big supercharged 5.4, mid-engined, and light! The only reason the Elise won, is because its gutted. Also who cares if the elise won, even the import guys at the end of that article said they would rather be driving the Cobra R....
Well a few things...first off the comparison was between two 50k sports cars so bringing up the GT40 which is going to be over 100k doesn't make much sense. The Elise is gutted? That is factory weight and there are options for A/C and a radio but NEITHER car had either one.
Old 10-20-2002, 10:59 PM   #51
slow98
Registered Member

Default lotus

the lotus was designed for handling and road racing performance and what not like was pointed out on some posts before, the cobra r is based of ur every day mustang that thousands own, it just has a more powerful engine, suspension tweaks and some body parts to make it perform better,by no means was the entire structure designed for road racing like the lotus,does the R look exotic at all like the lotus, no it looks like a mustang with nice wheels a big wing and some front facia so lets not say the two cars were designed for the same thing.maybe ford will make a superlight road race with a turbo svt focus engine in it, maybe it would make the magazine think twice about tearing down on tha domestics.....and i always thought rice reffered to cars from japan?????? who know

peace no flames intended here
1998 mustang gt/manual..373s,bbk offroad h pipe,flowmaster cat back,c&l 80 mm maf,steeda triax,eibach springs,steeda ud pulleys,upr timing adjuster,screamon demos coil packs,motorsports 9mm plug wires,steea aluminum lca's,steeda heavy duty uca's and just over 100 k on the clock
Old 10-21-2002, 12:08 AM   #52
Coupe50h
Registered Member

hmm intresting, well about cars and chicks, the lotus would attract more girls, but who cares, im trying to impress myself, see if i had a cobra-r my g/f would just think of it as another mustang, and not a cobraR,

anyhow, i bet a nice american thunder catback on the cobra would be such a sweet sound, and the chainsaw elise would be annoying at 8k rpms, i guess im just american
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Old 10-21-2002, 12:02 PM   #53
inferno
The Instigator

A statement from SVT about the Cobra R

http://www.svt.ford.com/flash/compar..._three=nothing

But then again, maybe you are right, and they are wrong....I mean they only built the car............
Old 10-21-2002, 12:35 PM   #54
1bad232
Registered Member

OMG the master of all things obvious has posted an SVT link. This link being from SVT makes us all wrong and liars, oh we better go jump off bridges to avoid the internet humiliation we face. Oh wait not don't do that yet fellas. That SVT link just called the Cobra R the fastest production mustang up till that point ot have been built (we all agree), and that it was just a beefed up mustang with bigger engine and better suspension (we all agree), and here comes the kicker it was a exclusive mustang (oh wait we agreed with that too) SO what did the link show....nothing. We are saying it is just a beefed up mustang the linked showed that, all the link showed was that it was an exclusive beefed up mustang.

P.S. The R is legal for street and track use, proving the intent of production of the two manufacturers!!!
Old 10-21-2002, 03:01 PM   #55
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by 1bad232
OMG the master of all things obvious has posted an SVT link. This link being from SVT makes us all wrong and liars, oh we better go jump off bridges to avoid the internet humiliation we face. Oh wait not don't do that yet fellas. That SVT link just called the Cobra R the fastest production mustang up till that point ot have been built (we all agree), and that it was just a beefed up mustang with bigger engine and better suspension (we all agree), and here comes the kicker it was a exclusive mustang (oh wait we agreed with that too) SO what did the link show....nothing. We are saying it is just a beefed up mustang the linked showed that, all the link showed was that it was an exclusive beefed up mustang.

P.S. The R is legal for street and track use, proving the intent of production of the two manufacturers!!!
Well, if you would read some of the comments posted by some of your mustang brethren, you would see that they are claiming that the modifications done to the Cobra R does not make it a track worthy car. I am sure that SVT would beg to differ and the link that I provided says basically what I have been saying the whole time...that the Cobra R is a track ready car from the factory. The Lotus is the same thing.....a track ready car that is also capable of being driven on the street which makes it a fair comparison.
Old 10-21-2002, 03:07 PM   #56
inferno
The Instigator

Oh, one last thing. In terms of over all potential, it is all about horsepower to weight. Because the Cobra R weighs twice as much as the Elise, the Elise only needs roughly half as much power to have the same power to weight ratio.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:10 PM   #57
1bad232
Registered Member

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, but come on there is a difference between a track car and a production car that has been tweaked for the track. In the end one's still a track tweaked car riding on the chasis of a 1978 fairlane and the other is a car specifically built for tracks. I mentioned the GT40 not because of price but because this car is being built by Ford with the same intent that Lotus built the Elise...Ford just is making it street legal because Ford is based in America. The Elise may be street legal in europe but its not street legal on American Soil. I think the lotus is a great car, I just don't see the fairness in comparing the two... And in the end its all about taste and preference I know I would prefer a 385 hp pavement eating hellspawn to a nimble little sprinter that sounds like a chainsaw free reving....
Old 10-21-2002, 06:12 PM   #58
The Deuce
Registered Member

1bad232, sorry dude but you're wrong. The whole reason the car in that article had the ITR motor was so it could be streeted in America. Lotus has their own motor for it in Europe.

Can we please let this die now?

Rice Haters Club Member #13
Old 10-21-2002, 06:18 PM   #59
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

i really don't know why we're bashing our heads against the walls on this. imo these cars are 2 different heavy weights, the R is an everyman( ) i-could-afford-it-factory-authorized nightmare on wheels, its based on the most popular selling sports car in american history and shares its name plate with tradition and prestige in SVT's heralded corral of bad *** conceptions. the lotus ain't nothin to sneeze at, but IMO it falls in the same categories of lamborginis, ferraris, mclarens: high dollar, staus symbols you are rare to ever see one outside of sunset strip or downtown miami. the R is the top of the FOMOCO throughbreds and for the great majority of the people who bleed ford blue, frequent an support this site, the top of the heap and you are not going to convince otherwise.

this is MUSTANG SITE, not a sports car site.

yes there are things that can out slalom, accelerate, top end, an out move the R, but for the 500k-$1000000 price tag of a ferrarri or mclaren..it sure as hell better..

again look at the aftermarket for mustang domestic its the majority, the exotics are a ***** to mintain, insure, an murder to find parts for and work on.

its all about your flavor,how much your willing to pony up. but i 'm pretty sure i could afford a Cobra R some day..

plus everybody knows that that guy in the lamborghini is makin up for somewhere else he falls short in.

1994 GT 5.0l
Old 10-21-2002, 06:46 PM   #60
0h n0 5.0
Registered Member

look familiar? its called the ford GT90 concept exotic.. 900 horses,

0-60 3.1sec.
235 mph.??

seen that lil car called the Saleen S7??

ford has its own corral of exotics, but we got to many mustangs to sell to focus our time on just that small niche of the market .
Attached Images
File Type: gif fordxotic.gif (32.6 KB, 13 views)

1994 GT 5.0l

Last edited by 0h n0 5.0; 10-21-2002 at 06:55 PM..
Closed Thread