MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 09:10 PM   #61
inferno
The Instigator

Ok, one last comment. The Lotus Elise isn't some super exotic vehicle or super car. It does use some of the track bred suspension from Lotus' other racing ventures, but the base Elise is basically along the lines of a Miata. Once again, the Elise is available and streetable in the US with the regular 115hp Rover motor, but the company that is importing them is also giving the option to buy it with the Integra Type R motor. Even with the 115hp motor, with the weight of the car, it is a pretty decent performer, but of course 85 extra hp and 30 more ft/lbs of torque go a long way in a 1600lb car. In terms of maintenance, the ITR motor is pretty simple to maintain, but the cost of labor might be a bit more because of the mid-engine placement of the motor. I am sure any shop that does work on Hondas wouldn't have that much of a problem though.

Also, in terms of affording a real Cobra R, most of those cars were bought by collectors and the prices shot through the roof. I am sure that the 300 owners of the 00 Cobra R's aren't likely to part with them anytime soon, and when they do part with them, the price is probably going to be at least 50k regardless of mileage. Ford is going to produce a new GT40, but the GT90 was a concept and will always be one. The Saleen S7 has a Ford motor and nothing else in common. Saleen is its own entity regardless of the fact that they tune Mustangs. And in terms of Ford sales, they are really concentrating on their trucks, family car sales, and fleet sales......that is where they are really making their money. Why else do you think that the basic platform for the Mustang has remained the same since 1979?
Old 10-22-2002, 05:06 AM   #62
1bad232
Registered Member

"dude your wrong", I would like to see where it says they are street legal because I swear there were issues with crash worthiness. If they can be made street legal then that is different but it doesn't change my viewpoint that these cars were made with different intents. Also you can't say Ford has turned it's focus away from the mustang... if they were doing that we wouldn't have the living legends studio/SVT bringing out cars like the Bullit Mustang, Mach 1, BOSS, Terminator (03 SVT COBRA) and these are going to came/will come before we update to dewlite in 04/05!! Yes they focus alot more than they did on trucks/suv's because thats where the big money is, but it's not like that has held the mustang back....

Also the whole reason the car had the type r motor was so it didn't get its world rocked by the Cobra. It beat the Cobra barely in all the categories, with the lesser hp engine it would have been beat, and it was a import mag.

Finally the GT90 was a concept powered by a 12 cylinder engine. But the GT40 was not and I stick with my guns that reguardless of price it's more fair to compare the GT40 and Elise due to purpose for being built in which case the GT40 reigns supreme. The elise can be compared to a mustang (any mustang) when it hits the mustangs production numbers!!!

let it die......
Old 10-22-2002, 07:35 AM   #63
*Steeda90GT*
Registered Member

This post has gone more queer then a 3 dollar bill....
94 Oxford White GT. 17" Factory wheels with 275/40/17 Nitto Drag Radials. Vortech S-Trim, Anderson Power Pipe, 24lb injectors, T-Rex external, 190lph internal, 3.55s, 65mm TB, Pro M 77mm MAF, Pro 5.0 shifter, Saleen Gauges, Crane ignition, MAC longtubes, catalytic h-pipe, flowmasters.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: