MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-19-2001, 05:23 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Lightbulb Rules of Engagement

For those of you who haven't figured it out yet, street racing is illegal... Yes, yes, it actually is. I know it's a shock, but that's the law of the land.

Not all, but many times I see (and have witnessed with my own eyes) that people get busted b/c they don't know what they're doing. They just get up next to some broke down car to race and get all into the moment that they forget to take some precautionary considerations. (Not saying that any of you don't do it right-- seeing that there have been a few recent posts on getting busted for speed exhibition-- just thought there should be a post on the do's and don'ts of street racing-- particularly on precautionary measures)

So, next time you are thinking about racing that souped up stang (or whatever) sitting beside you at the light (or from a roll or wherever),

1) Make sure it's a car worth running (that'll lessen your chances of racing in the first place and thus lessen chances of gettin busted for it). I would feel really dumb getting busted for racing some rusted out Chevette.

2) Don't ever just take a race on the spurr of the moment. Take your time and look around. Look in your mirrors, on the side of roads, in parking lots and anywhere else quickly for cops (very important). Scan the area first b4 you race!

3) Know the area you're doing that stuff in if it's well known for cops hiding in bushes or in driveways, etc. Also, take a minute or two to "feel out" the area: if you see cops looking like they are cruising around looking for something or there are a suspisciously (or not suspiciously) an abnormal number of patrol cars in that area, then don't screw around there. If you're out cruising and you have a buddy in the passenger seat, THAT IS HIS JOB to look around with you. You can be focused on the race and give a few glances around the area to check for cops, but IF A FRIEND IS RIDING WITH YOU, MAKE HIM/HER DO A THOROUGH (as thorough as possible) SCAN OF THE AREA AND UP AHEAD. THAT IS HIS JOB.

4) KNOW WHEN TO SHUT DOWN!! What are you trying to prove? For example, why race up to 120 in a 45 mph speed zone in the middle of the city or suburbs where it's busy with cars and/or pedestrians???? That's just plane STUPID. If you do, then you deserve jail time--no doubt. If racing from a light, depending on where you are (out in country or in heart of city and all palces in b/t), if speed limit is 45, why go over 60 or 70 mph, especially if you already smoked the car next to you by the time you get to 50mph??? And if you do race past posted speed limit, shut it down quickly, don't keep screwin after you beat or loss to the rival at well over posted speed limit.

5) Try to avoid racing around curves or over hills as you cannot see what is on the around the end of that curve or on the other side of that hill (eg, cops sitting with radar gun or pedestrians crossing). Best racing road is straight and flat.

6) Just make it a rule to NOT race in the rain/snow/sleet/hail conditions during daylight or nighttime hrs. Not worth it. AND this goes without saying (although I will say it) DON'T RACE WHEN DRUNK, REALLY TIRED, JUST NOT THINKING CLEARLY FOR WHATEVER REASON.

7) Do not race someone who is showing off and making a huge display of his car on the road. These types of idiots are the ones who mess it up for everyone else and are gonna pull you down with them. The racers I know who survive longest (w/o getting busted or dying) are the ones who won't just race any car, anytime, anywhere. No, I'm not saying be a snob, but use some restraint. If someone gets mad at you for not racing them, SO WHAT!!!!!! It's okay to blow off a race if you just are not in the mood.

8) Read up on the current laws concerning drag racing, fines, etc, relevant to your state. That can be an hour well spent.

I'm sure I've missed some points but this is the place for you to post them. Be safe and use your head when street racing (although some may question if anyone who street races is being safe or using his/her head in the first place )

All this stuff won't eliminate your chances of getting busted for street racing, but it will surely lessen it...

OR, I guess you could just not street race at all and leave it for the drag strip only, then you wouldn't have to worry about it at all . Your choice.

-----------------------------------------
351W-powered 1979 Ford Mustang notchback
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl, C4 w/ shift kit
Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake
1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, Al driveshaft
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup someday)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body

[This message has been edited by Fox Body (edited 07-19-2001).]
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 07:14 PM   #2
RAGE_5.0
Registered Member

wut my dad did was stupid....
one thing i wanna do though is when my cousin who thinks he has the best truck in hte world a stock 96 s 10 4 banger.let him get right behind me and when he trys to pass drop a gear and out it to the floor and leave in my dust..........i will be smart though and shut down at 130kmh in an 80........not much traffic where he lives

JAMES

he thought i was stupid buying a 5.0 as my first car cause its got to much power yet he put his s10 in the ditch twice

------------------
Black 1990 gt cobra bonestock
not for long
RAGE_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2001, 07:57 PM   #3
bada$$lx

Cool

I completely agree Fox Body, you make really good points that most of us know as common sense, and others don't, and they'll find out the hard way. I've been doing this for 10 years now, and "knock on wood" I haven't had any run ins. I must admit, though, that I did once, but out ran him around some turns and up an unknown driveway in the dark w/ the lights off (that was 9 years ago). Just don't be stupid, use your head, and you'll be problem free (a little luck won't hurt either ).

------------------
'90 LX 5.0; 12K original miles (no sh*&); 3.55 gears; pulleys;Edelbrock Performer Heads; BBK shorties; MSD 6AL box w/ blaster 2 coil; Motorsport E303 cam; Pro-M 75mm MAF; BBK 70mm TB; Eibach spring kit; Southside welded subs; K&N cone filter charger; Hurst shifter; fiberglass turbo hood; A/C-less; rear seat-less; cat-less; 2 chamber Flos; Corbeau racing seats (fronts);
30# injectors; JMS Chip; 190 lb fp; TFS track heat Intake (12.299 @ 113)
Old 07-20-2001, 01:51 AM   #4
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I've been following everyone of those points you made for about 4 years. ****Cross my Fingers and knock on Wood******* And havent been busted since I started bieng more aware of my surronding, and whos around me.

Those are all pretty much common sense no-brainers though.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle, 40 series Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax
64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Future resto.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 10:11 AM   #5
Stang Runner
Registered Member

I did a Burn out at a stop Light when I took a left hand trun. and speed up to the 45MPH very fast. I never looked around... I saw the cop when He did a burn out after me I stop before he got up to me on the siad of the road I knew he was coming after me. I frist thing he said was (I bet you did not see me siting about 10 feet from you.) I say no! I got a scare for the talk of what he Could do but he was Nice and let me go. I look around alot now is I am do anything Leagl or not.

------------------
14.62@96.9 Engine: Steal Mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, Home ported Lower Intake, No power steering, No A/C
Drive Train: 3.55, World Class T-5, Lakewood Bell housing, Adjustable Clutch Cable, AL Driveshaft
Suspension: MAC Control Arms, Maximum Motorsports Front Grip Package, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Shocks
Exhaust: 1 5/8 UN-Equal Length Mac Headers, X-pipe W\cats, Edelbrock cat\back
Cooling: 3 Core Radiator

Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 03:57 PM   #6
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

Unhappy

i had a run in with the cops last month, and i wasen't even doing anything wrong at this time. my girlfriend lives on this street where a lot of ricers are. so when i drive down the street i make sure my car makes a lot of noise cause i can, but never speed or drive fast! well one day i got pulled over after i left her house and the cop said that someone called and said i was driving recklessly. and the worst part was i forgot my license at home. so i got the pat down and asked to sit in the back of the car while he ran my info. after everything check out and i told him what really happened, that the ricers always block the street and think there hot and always start **** . he said i guess u made a enemy. when i was leaving he asked me to race, when i declined he told me i was no fun. he then pulled up next to my car and gave me a few revs, and nutral dropped it. i loved that cop cause he was soo nice, but its plain to see that the ricers are just jelious that i have a faster nicer car then they will ever have!!

------------------
89 GT AOD w/ shift kit, B&M rachet shifter, Trickflow intake, Crane (E-type) cam, 70Tb, 75MAF, 1.6 Rockers, Pulleys, MAC headers and H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, K&N, 3 core radiator, custom interior, cobra R rims
MY89GT
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 07:20 PM   #7
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Wink

Yeah, I know most of us know those points (yes, common sense) I listed, but that was written for those who either need a refresher, did not know in the 1rst place, or for others who knew more to add to the list. Ie, just a reminder....

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body

Old 07-20-2001, 07:24 PM   #8
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Wink

Yeah, I know most of us know those points (yes, common sense) I listed, but that was written for those who either need a refresher, did not know in the 1rst place, or for others who knew more to add to the list. Ie, just a reminder....

Old 07-23-2001, 10:34 AM   #9
jimberg
Registered Member

I don't know how many of you guys have really noticed this (probably everyone ), but when you line up for a race at a light with a stop line or a crosswalk, make sure that your tires aren't lined up with the paint. That crap is slippery and it's real easy to break loose on it even if you're trying not to.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 12:26 PM   #10
RED92LX50
Registered Member

I know it makes sense to choose your battles wisely (what is the sense in thrashing a mid-80's Civic, Tercel, or whatever). But, the thing that gets me is when approaching a red light with two thru lanes, and the car/mini-van/truck or whatever changes lanes from behind you to pull up next to you (almost saying - you will not be going fast enough, so I will pass you when the light turns green). Not sure if I made the situation clear, but I always take this as a challenge to let them know that THEY were the slower vehicle, and they should have stayed where they were - BEHIND ME!
RED92LX50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 02:05 PM   #11
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by RED92LX50:
...But, the thing that gets me is when approaching a red light with two thru lanes, and the car/mini-van/truck or whatever changes lanes from behind you to pull up next to you (almost saying - you will not be going fast enough, so I will pass you when the light turns green). Not sure if I made the situation clear, but I always take this as a challenge to let them know that THEY were the slower vehicle, and they should have stayed where they were - BEHIND ME!
Oh man! You said it Red92LX50. I thought I was maybe the only one who realized that. What pisses me off even more is when approaching a red light in the right lane (left lane occupied but right lane open), but then something like a Nissan Pathfinder that's in the left ahead of you gets over in front (in right lane ahead of you). You would like to think, "okay this guy doesn't want to be held up behind the other car in left lane so he's gonna go when the light changes and not slouch around--cool." But NO, the idiot drives slower than the guy in the left lane who he had been behind so he really just got over to hold you up . WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THAT!!!!!!!!!! AAAAARRRgggggghhhhhh. Stupid.
As soon as I get a chance, I play with those people (you know, like change lanes, shoot past them, get in front of them and then slow down about 10mph and when they pass you, do it again--repeat about 3 times. )

Old 07-23-2001, 06:10 PM   #12
topless tire fryer
All show, some go 4 now!

Fox Body, I thought I was the only one that needed counseling for that sh*t! I love the 40 something dads in the minivans trying to cut you off in the fast lane of the hiway so they can go 3MPH faster then the slow lane trafic and give their wives that "I just beat the stang" looks.

------------------
'95 Chrome Yellow GT ragtop, KN filter charger, Dynomax cat back, Accel plugs and wires.
topless tire fryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 04:39 AM   #13
HiFlow5 0
Registered Member

hey my dad drives a mini van!!! and he doesn't drive like a old man, he'll race ya in his 92 GMC safari. he may not come close to winning, but he'll give it a shot just for the hell of it! he's also got a system louder then most people around here!

------------------
89 GT AOD w/ shift kit, B&M rachet shifter, Trickflow intake, Crane (E-type) cam, 70Tb, 75MAF, 1.6 Rockers, Pulleys, MAC headers and H-pipe, Dynomax mufflers, K&N, 3 core radiator, white face gauges, custom interior, cobra R rims
MY89GT
HiFlow5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 11:40 AM   #14
jimberg
Registered Member

How about when you're in the right lane, the light turns green and then some bozo in a mini-van or SUV doesn't wait for traffic and turns right on red right in front of you? The worst part is that it's illegal to change lanes within an intersection or some number of feet before or after the intersection.

------------------
Old 07-24-2001, 01:48 PM   #15
LincoConti87
Registered Member

Angry

My turn My Turn!!! I can't stand when u are in an open lane and they take your spot at the front like u guys mentioned...pisses me off...makes me wanna race up to the light sometimes when I know they are gonna do it...and you always know when they are gonna do it don't ya! What I hate more...ok my apartment complex is on the right side of road...so I try to stay in that lane so I don't have to switch over at last second...well there is a light right before getting to the complex...every time I drive home there is people in front of me that don't signal and turn at the light in a 45 zone....errrr! If not that what they do is race up in front of me cut me off and jam on brakes to go around cornerAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Well you guys know what its like!
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 09:09 PM   #16
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Okay, well what about when you are getting off an exit and the vehicles act like they don't wanna let you merge onto the hwy, they seem to have no clue that they should either slow down and let you get onto the hwy or get over in the left lane so you can merge into the right lane from the off ramp.

Ha ha, well that's where Ford power comes in. I don't ask anymore-- I take.

Old 07-24-2001, 11:29 PM   #17
66 Racer
Registered Member

Man, i agree with the "know where your racing" part. The 2nd day I started Driving I got pulled over for pealing out. I even looked up and down the street for cops, the guy ended being in a drivway with tall bushes. It messed up my day, but at least he let me off the hook with a "not using a signal" ticket. Ended up being $54. At least the burnout was a good long one. See ya guys later and happy racing, street racing that is, heh heh. Those rules sound as best as could have come up with, its pretty much common scence, but we can easily get cought up in the moment, thats what you cant let happen. Stay calm, cool, and watch your back.

Later guys

------------------
Under Construction 66 Coupe
-289 V8 4 barrel Holley 600cfm carb - Headers - Flowmaster 2 1/2 dual exaust
66 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 02:14 AM   #18
jimberg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fox Body:
Okay, well what about when you are getting off an exit and the vehicles act like they don't wanna let you merge onto the hwy, they seem to have no clue that they should either slow down and let you get onto the hwy or get over in the left lane so you can merge into the right lane from the off ramp.
From a courtesy standpoint I agree whole heartedly, but from a legal standpoint, merging traffic has to yield to flowing traffic.

I live in "Minnesota nice" country and what really bothers me is when people try to be TOO courteous. Rather than speeding up or slowing down a little to allow people to merge, they'll almost bring traffic to a complete stop just because some yahoo doesn't know how to match speed.

That's another pet peave. People who don't know how to merge. Instead of picking the point where to merge and adjusting speed to hit that point, they just speed up to 45 and at the last minute decide to turn on their blinker ( That guarantees you the right of way in their fantasy world ), and then just move on over.

The highway is three lanes wide and 70mph right up to the exit where I get off for Rogers. The right lane basically ends at that exit. I can't stand it when people know they're getting off so decide to do 55 or even 50 in the right lane. It doesn't matter that the ramp is super long and goes up hill. I do 70 right up til about 250 feet before the stop light at the top of the ramp.

I could go on and on about all the morons out there. All I know is that if everyone drove like me, we wouldn't have any traffic problems.

------------------
Old 07-25-2001, 06:18 AM   #19
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by jimberg:
I could go on and on about all the morons out there. All I know is that if everyone drove like me, we wouldn't have any traffic problems.

I feel the same way bro.

and I do agree with you about people who don't know how to merge onto the hwy. Yes, i could go on and on also, but don't care to write a book in the msgboard forum.