MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-16-2002, 01:11 PM   #21
*Steeda90GT*
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 7up
I've heard tons of horror stories about the turbo RX7's reliability. Especially when you mod them, they seem to always be in the garage getting fixed. I drove a 93 RX7 at a dealer a couple years back, the car had 10k miles and was pooring blue white smoke out when it started and really hit it.

Steeda90gt, I am curious if your friend had problems with his?
They had TONS of problems with them, especially the turbo ones. They were spending every weekend trying to fix them, one of my friends went through thre computers....the computer cost him 1,000. Some of them purchased the low mile 3rd gen RX7s and the nightmare is still there.
94 Oxford White GT. 17" Factory wheels with 275/40/17 Nitto Drag Radials. Vortech S-Trim, Anderson Power Pipe, 24lb injectors, T-Rex external, 190lph internal, 3.55s, 65mm TB, Pro M 77mm MAF, Pro 5.0 shifter, Saleen Gauges, Crane ignition, MAC longtubes, catalytic h-pipe, flowmasters.
*Steeda90GT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 02:41 PM   #22
95mustanggt
Registered Member

Aren't Imports supposed to me way more reliable than North American Cars?....

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 03:07 PM   #23
*Steeda90GT*
Registered Member

lol, I love that one. Most people don't realize that the performance imports....especially the turbocharged ones arent nearly as reliable as american performance cars. And to top it off theyre worse on gas then most american cars. try getting good mileage out of a turbo eclipse or turbo RX7
94 Oxford White GT. 17" Factory wheels with 275/40/17 Nitto Drag Radials. Vortech S-Trim, Anderson Power Pipe, 24lb injectors, T-Rex external, 190lph internal, 3.55s, 65mm TB, Pro M 77mm MAF, Pro 5.0 shifter, Saleen Gauges, Crane ignition, MAC longtubes, catalytic h-pipe, flowmasters.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:30 PM   #24
95mustanggt
Registered Member

I know, fuel only contains so much energy. If you produce more power you need more fuel, no matter if you're a 4 cyl or 8.

Freakin Ricers...

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 03:41 PM   #25
*Steeda90GT*
Registered Member

Exactly, and when they get their hondas to go 12s, all of that "Honda Reliability" pretty much goes out the window. Plus they compare reliability with almost new imports to "their friends 13 yr old domestic"
Old 09-16-2002, 04:59 PM   #26
inferno
The Instigator

The rotary engine has never been known for its reliability or gas mileage. Also, it takes a lot of attention to detail to properly built a rotory engine.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:29 AM   #27
*Steeda90GT*
Registered Member

It's a shame that Mazda didnt make a bigger displacement rotary, that thing wouldve cooked. Do you know that originally Chevy was going to buy the rights for it and had plans to put it in the Vette.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:11 PM   #28
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

Nice kill, Cam! Always fun to put them in their place.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 03:58 PM   #29
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by *Steeda90GT*
It's a shame that Mazda didnt make a bigger displacement rotary, that thing wouldve cooked. Do you know that originally Chevy was going to buy the rights for it and had plans to put it in the Vette.
Part of the reason that Chevy didn't do it was because they couldn't get the car to run properly. Also, in terms of displacement, Mazda did have a slightly bigger production motor in the 3 rotor 20b. No need to really increase the size and weight of the motor either when you can turbo charge it and keep a good weight distribution.
Old 09-19-2002, 02:29 AM   #30
fastang
Registered Member

Good kill Cam, Im glad to see that your car is coming along well. A properly tuned turbo twin rotor can whoop some serious ***. But stock they really arent much to worry about. Id bet that your car would whoop on a stock 3rd gen turbo. My 95 did with about the same mods and a slipping clutch.

Im still thinking about getting a fox body. I just found out last week that the dealership I work for is shutting down for good so now I have to find a new job Its cool though, Im sure I will be back working somewhere else soon enough.......and I still have left over mustang parts lying around here. By the way I STILL have that damn 94-95 mac intake if you want it. I only used it for a week. 100 bucks and its yours.
old car: 95GT, TFS T.W. heads, Holley Intake, B303 cam, FRPP 30lb injectors, Scorpion 1.6 rollers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, March Pulleys, MSD coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550 trans, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors. 190lph pump, BBK adj FPR.
fastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 08:04 AM   #31
*Steeda90GT*
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fastang
Good kill Cam, Im glad to see that your car is coming along well. A properly tuned turbo twin rotor can whoop some serious ***. But stock they really arent much to worry about. Id bet that your car would whoop on a stock 3rd gen turbo. My 95 did with about the same mods and a slipping clutch.

Im still thinking about getting a fox body. I just found out last week that the dealership I work for is shutting down for good so now I have to find a new job Its cool though, Im sure I will be back working somewhere else soon enough.......and I still have left over mustang parts lying around here. By the way I STILL have that damn 94-95 mac intake if you want it. I only used it for a week. 100 bucks and its yours.
I may be interested in the intake? How come you only used it for a week? Did it give any power improvement? Any pics?

Email me: Steeda90GT@aol.com
Old 09-19-2002, 09:59 PM   #32
fastang
Registered Member

SteedaGT, Surprisingly the induction was the LAST thing I ever did to my 95GT. I had everything listed on my signature on that car and was using the stock induction tubing with a drop in K&N filter. When I put on the Mac kit my custom chip didnt agree with the new air flow levels and the car wouldnt idle right. To get my cpu to accept the new induction I was going to have to get my chip re-burnt which is expensive. So I put the stock stuff back on and ended up selling the car a few days later.

I dont even think I used it for a week, probably about 3 days. I really liked it too. The whole car sounded different with it on, the throttle response increased very noticeably and you can really hear the system working. I dont have any pics because I dont have a scanner and really havent been trying to sell it. It looks just like all the pictures in the magazines and its in absolute perfect condition. It really looks like its never been used.
old car: 95GT, TFS T.W. heads, Holley Intake, B303 cam, FRPP 30lb injectors, Scorpion 1.6 rollers, 65mm TB, 73mm MAF, BBK Longtubes, Flowmaster cat back, March Pulleys, MSD coil, 9mm wires, Tremec 3550 trans, Pro5.0 shifter,10.5 Motorsport clutch, FMS aluminum driveshaft, weld in subframe connectors. 190lph pump, BBK adj FPR.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:38 AM   #33
*Steeda90GT*
Registered Member

sent you an email
Old 09-20-2002, 06:39 PM   #34
fastang
Registered Member

You can E mail me at Jopjalopi@aol.com Im not sure if the email in my profile is any good anymore. I will check my private messages here too.