View Single Post
Old 09-18-2002, 09:10 PM   #10
gilmoujr
Registered Member

My Opinion / Diagnosis

I have put my car down the track over 90 times this year (I bought it new in March 02). Before the DR's I got a 60ft of 2.076 and was running a 14.2 pretty consitent. I got DR's and Gears (3.73) about the same time (two weeks apart) and am now turning in consistent 13.8's with a best of 13.760 @ 98.22 - I have had two better mph readings but they did not best my 13.760. I could get into the 13.6's given a good cool night - which I hope to see soon.

As far as advice, follow the above for your reaction (beginning of last yellow = GO pedal). For improved times, red-line it - well as close as possible without rev limit (if you are comfortable with that) from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd then (if you are on 3.27's take third off the end of the track) 3rd to 4th (I have 3.73's remember) at about 200 before rev limit. Off the line (before DR's and Gears), I would rev to about 2500 and "slip" the clutch. Slowly let it out while increasing the gas - hook up and rip the @$$-fault off the track the rest of the way down. One thing that was not mentioned that I have seen quite a bit is people new to the track like to burn out. Do Not Do It On Street Tires. They are made of a rubber compound that emits oil when heated beyond a certain point. Spin them a rotation or three just to "dust them off" and AVOID the water. Without the heat of a real burnout you will just drag water up to the line with you and give you wheelspin (as well as anger the person behind you if they know what you did). Hooking up is a science. It takes practice. Another thing I like to do is get behind a car that runs slicks - you hook up great most of the time.

Now get out there and get us more slips to talk about! We love the white one's but we like "personal bests" timeslips as well. One more thing. Dragging your car is like chess. Every move is toward a goal - your personal best - strategize - study what you did (write it down if necassary), Launch RPMs, shift points, tire pressure, heat/humidity. With every accomplishment - you follow up with the thought - I think I can squeeze one more tenth out of it if I just... It is a rush and an addiction... My name is Jim and I am a Drag Racer....

P.S. I do know how to spell asphalt.
gilmoujr is offline   Reply With Quote