MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-15-2003, 09:42 PM   #1
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Default s2000 tonight.

Alright here's the story.I was dropping off some movies at blockbuster,and on my way home on causway again i was driving under the speed limit.The reason why is way too many cops.And i mean WAY too many.So anyway i stop at a light,and this kid in an s2000 drives up behind me,with some chick in his car.The light turns green and i start.I shift to second at about 2500 rpm,and drive slowly,and the kid just rockets from behind me and past me.He was driving around 15mph faster then me by that time.So by the time i realize what happened he was already around 2 car lengths ahead.So i did the same,and press the clutch in second,get my rpm to around 4000 and drop the clutch.The tires were screeching for around 2 seconds,and he gained some more on me.So then the tires finally hooked and i start pulling on him.Thing is,it was harder then i thought.The faster i drove the faster i gained on him though.By the time i reached 95mph my front bumper was where his girlfriend was sitting,and a bridge came.So naturally like everyone else should i hit the breaks before the bridge because you never know who's behind.He keapt racing for a few more seconds.Anyway like i said it seemed alittle harder then i thought.The car only weighs 2800 pounds,and even though they come with 240hp,they only have 150ish tq.So to everyone who's raced them before.Is this normal or what?BTW i know i started wrong by dropping the clutch at 4000 rpm in second gear while only going 20mph.But i did that to impress his chick.What do you guys think?
Jaegermeister2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 12:55 PM   #2
inferno
The Instigator

Seeing that it was from a roll, the torque difference was negated. From a stop, you probably would have got a jump on him and held about the same distance on him through the whole race. They are capable of low 14's like the 99+ GT's.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:24 PM   #3
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

Well i don't think i would've keapt the same distance.I would've pulled away.But i always thought they were slower.Oh well can't wait to save up enough for a supercharger.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:52 PM   #4
inferno
The Instigator

Jaeger, you do realize that he probably wasn't full throttle the entire time until after he realized that you were indeed going to chase him which would account for you making up two car lengths. Like I said, stock times are almost identical for both cars so it would be a drivers race although you would have an easier time launching your car because of the torque advantage.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:38 PM   #5
Jaegermeister2k
Registered Member

No it was full throttle because he put 2 car lengths on me within a second,and right after that my tires were screeching.Even if he wasn't at full throttle it only lasted a split second.My car is not stock.I got a steeda tri ax shifter,3.73 gears,diablo chip,off road x pipe and a catback.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:48 PM   #6
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Yeah, I agree with all what inferno is saying except that I too think you would've been ahead of him b/c of your V8's torque and would've slowly pulled on him all the way through from a dead stop. The 3.73s help too. Lot depends on drivers of course. Those are peppy cars.

I do have more respect for those cars since a friend of mine had one (he got rid of it though and now has a 350Z) and I got to ride in it. But, those 4-cyls are a little sluggish up hills unless you open up the V-tec. Superb suspension, though.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 08:10 PM   #7
inferno
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaegermeister2k
No it was full throttle because he put 2 car lengths on me within a second,and right after that my tires were screeching.Even if he wasn't at full throttle it only lasted a split second.My car is not stock.I got a steeda tri ax shifter,3.73 gears,diablo chip,off road x pipe and a catback.
Well, of course that would make a difference too. I was basing what I said on the assumption that you were stock and I even said so in what I posted.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:32 PM   #8
Rev
Registered Member

Default Close?

I think the 1/4 mile run might have been close.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote