MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-28-2003, 02:15 AM   #1
SleeperGT
Registered Member

Default Scariest Ride of My Life

So I'm heading to the airport cruising at about 67 mph when I pass what I think is a Lincoln Mark VII (two door Lincoln with the V8). I have no clue what year it is but it is beautiful, black paint, slightly lowered, on great looking wheels and tinted windows. He starts to pace me. There is no traffic out so I figure I'll give it a little gas and see what happens. He takes off, but I'm really not sure if he's going for it so I don't hammer it. I give it more gas to try to pace him and I realize he IS going for it, so finally I down shift to 4th and hammer it, but by now he a good 10 cars ahead of me and I didn't realize my lackadaisical approach to racing had already gotten us up to about 90 mph. There is no way I am going to let this Lincoln think he can beat a Stang! So I keep my foot well into it, shift up to 5th, keep the foot planted, and start praying because the car is getting a wee bit unstable (tires up front have worn kind of funny and don't track so well at speed), but I suck it in and finally go blowing past him. As I am flying past him I'm thinking to my self, hmmm this is probably about the fastest I have ever gone in my car....how do I know this? Because I think I've crapped my pants, so I take a quick peak at the speedo, and I mean real quick because my eyes are glued to the road and my knuckles are beyond white at this time. The speedo was registering between 145 mph and 150 mph. Wholly freaking cow!! This was way past my last top speed run which barely touched 130 mph, and on that run I almost crapped my pants. Anyways, I figure the Lincoln was doing about 125 mph when I finally caught him, but he knew I was coming because he never let off.

Now for the real kicker of the story. Less than 1/4 mile after we get off it we round a slight bend and Johnny Law is out pulling people over. By this time we roll by at about 85 mph, but they are busy with people they had already busted. I wonder how much jail time I would have gotten if we were busted and would I ever get my license back?

I' not sure how accurate my speedo is, I've got a speed cal on it though. I wish I had gotten a peak at the rpm's I was running at when I took that quick glimpse at the high end to try to do some validation.

The moral of this story? Always bring an extra pare of drawers with you when you drive to the airport. Also, I will NEVER do that type of run again. Way too dangerous.
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
Steeda Lower Control Arms
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

New Track Times Coming Soon
SleeperGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 09:59 AM   #2
TruBluePony
Registered Member

I would get that front end fixed.....I had a 01 GT that i got up to 148 and it was as smooth as a baby's rear end. Nice Kill......reminds me of my uncle in Toledo who has a lincoln mark VIII and thinks he can take me. He's pushing 60 with heart problems so I haven't run him. 'Fraid I might kill him. lol
TruBluePony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 11:56 AM   #3
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

You should go for a ride in my brothers car. When it had a 5 speed.... 2 words. Holy ****! Just before we blew the engine and it had a C-4 in it we were on the highway crusing with a buddy(He has a mid 11 sec coupe). He nailed it and we waited for a sec, My brother didnt even down **** and it started to break the tires loose! We flew by him like he was driving a Civic. We he finally caught up he just frowned and flipped us off. It was fun as hell.

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:19 PM   #4
TruBluePony
Registered Member

That does sound fun as hell!! I had a 89 5.0 LX that I redlined in overdrive one night running a Mazda RX-7 but I had one of those 85 mph speedo's so I have no idea how fast I was going. I do know it gave you that uneasy feeling though because you couldn't even feel the road underneath you. I did it on 75 South between Tylersville Rd exit and the 275 interchange if you know where I'm talking about Ackbar00. That has been the only time I've been worried about crash and burning.
That's why my comment about his front end because the newer mustangs handle like a dream at high speed.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:17 PM   #5
SleeperGT
Registered Member

TrueBlue - Thanks for the input on the front end. The last few months the car hasn't been tracking well at all on the highway and I haven't given it much thought, though in the past the car did always run great on the highway. I definitely will look into it.
3.1" Pulley
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

Old 02-28-2003, 03:37 PM   #6
Ackbar00
Rebel Fleet Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by TruBluePony
I had one of those 85 mph speedo's so I have no idea how fast I was going. I did it on 75 South between Tylersville Rd exit and the 275 interchange if you know where I'm talking about Ackbar00.
Yeah, his is an 88 and has the 85MPH as well, its fun watching it get burried in first gear Yeah I know where that is. You lucky da police were at the doghnut shop

11.25@123.5 on only 8 psi.
10.84@121 on only 1 headgasket

"The Truth is, Your the Weak, and I am the Tyranny of Evil Men!"

Ackbar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:41 PM   #7
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Default Re: Scariest Ride of My Life

Quote:
Originally posted by SleeperGT
The moral of this story?
I think the moral of the story is to not drive 150 mph down the highway like an idiot.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 06:43 PM   #8
Jthompson
Registered Member

That feeling you get when You can't feel the ground under your car is your car physically lifting off the ground from air pressure. Kinda like hydroplaning without the water.

Congradulations, you almost died. That happened to me once, and I have never gone that fast again in my fox.
1994 POS head gasket clubbed broke down T-bird with $6000 left to pay off
Jthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 07:12 AM   #9
UK_Stang
Registered Member

I know its not big and its not clever, but there are loads of places to open your car up in the UK knowing that no coppers are around, I have been 125 in my Fox and at that speed it did not feel comfortable at all, probably due to my standard suspension setup... Don think I will bother going any faster....
UK_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 06:54 PM   #10
Rev
Registered Member

Default 3.25, C-4

Not sure mine will do too much more than that (125) anyway, LOL. Never been more tha 105 or so in mine, but maybe in the future.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 06:56 PM   #11
TruBluePony
Registered Member

No problem Sleeper GT......if your going to go that fast it's best to know your car is in good shape.

Ackbar00...that was a while back I think in 90 or 91 right after they paved it so it was pretty smooth a lot more than now. Oh yeah I didn't have to worry about Johnny Law back then since they were a little down on power.

Jthompson......yeah i know what causes that. Part of the problem with the old Foxes was the ski slope rear spoiler and how light the rear was. It's not something I attempted again or had the opportunity to do. It was after midnight and nobody else was around so i figured I'd see if I could top it out. Not a good feeling but I wouldn't classify it as almost dying. More like lucky nothing went wrong.

Stang Crazy........didn't know you were my Daddy. The nice thing about Message Boards is it allows you to make statements you wouldn't be able to make in person, right? LMAO
Old 03-01-2003, 11:34 PM   #12
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally posted by TruBluePony
Stang Crazy........didn't know you were my Daddy. The nice thing about Message Boards is it allows you to make statements you wouldn't be able to make in person, right? LMAO

Old 03-03-2003, 08:37 PM   #13
SleeperGT
Registered Member

I haven't heard hide nor hair of my Daddy in 25 years, and low and behold he crops up on the Mustangworks message board driving a hopped up Stang and he's hanging in Pittsburg, PA! Welcome home Daddy! (All this said in my best Jacksonville twang!). I figured I'd have a few fingers shaken at my by my post, but I never new Dad would crop up.
3.1" Pulley
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

Old 03-04-2003, 02:37 PM   #14
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Yesterday I did something similar....I HAD to show up an Acura Integra....and I gave him a huge lead...took me til 130 to catch and pass....afterwards, I really realized how stupid it is to risk your life and at the least, your driver's license just to show up some 17 year old in a family car.

Having a blower is fun as hell....but dont let it be the end of you! Im trying too!!

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 10:08 PM   #15
SleeperGT
Registered Member

Definitely agree with you Stoplight. I know what my problem was when I raced that Lincoln, I haven't made it to the track in the last few months to get my legal fix of racing. I gotta get to the track soon, I'm definitely over due for my fix.
3.1" Pulley
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

Old 03-05-2003, 12:59 AM   #16
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

I hate to agree with stang crazy but personally id say it was pretty stupid to go that fast if your front end isnt in the best of shape. Maybe if everything is good it wouldnt be as bad but with crap tires and if its not very solid that makes for a pretty stupid combo. But dont get me wrong good kill and im definately a fan of speed i just wish my speedo went past 180kph all i know is ive had the needle bouncin off the odometer reset.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:36 PM   #17
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Quote:
Originally posted by SleeperGT
I haven't heard hide nor hair of my Daddy in 25 years, and low and behold he crops up on the Mustangworks message board driving a hopped up Stang and he's hanging in Pittsburg, PA! Welcome home Daddy! (All this said in my best Jacksonville twang!). I figured I'd have a few fingers shaken at my by my post, but I never new Dad would crop up.
I'm sorry for startling you like that 'son'. I didn't mean to come down so hard on you. You haven't heard from me in 25 years but I've been looking out for you my 'son'. Be safe. Daddy's watching.

Old 03-06-2003, 10:00 PM   #18
SleeperGT
Registered Member

Too funny Stang_Crazy. But you are definitely correct in chastising me. I've been behaving lately and I'm getting new tires soon!
3.1" Pulley
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's
358 rwhp (Mustang Dyno)

Old 03-07-2003, 01:53 PM   #19
XLRVIII
Registered Member

NO offence, but it's kinda humorous reading about a SUPERCHARGED mustang owner getting scared while outrunning a Lincoln...
*LMAO*

be careful out there and make sure your car is prepared for triple digit speeds, especially if your gonna go PICKING on "Grandma's car".

{totally cracking up}

FYI: stock geared Lincoln Mark VIII's are still in second gear at 105 MPH.
SO for the last 3 years, I've been racing at the dragstrip.. I've done pretty well...
Funny thing is.. all my victories we're all done without the use of THIRD gear!

Now, I got 373's and it will shift to third before crossing the finish line... but it used to be really funny when I crossed the finish line, AND THEN...shifted to HIGH GEAR.

12 second cars, the Lincolns are NOT.. but with a few reasonable mods they can be "woke up".. and still get 27-28 MPH at freeway speeds.

Stay safe out there kids, and watch out for Grandma's car!
{jus kiddin ya'll, dont get mad}
Old 03-15-2003, 10:05 PM   #20
02ss
Registered Member

Default any time you race

on the road, you not only take your life in your hands, you take a lot of innocent folk's lives into your hands as well. this is something we all deal with anytime we lay the hammer down. i guess what i mean is do this highly illegal and dangerous activity as safely as you can, we do not want to become another statistic in the news.
while i am on the subject....you cant really streetrace "safely", but you can do it as safely as possible. like.....dont do it when the streets are crowded. dont do it when you have a car full of passengers. dont do it when you've been drinking. dont ever, ever, ever, do it when youve been drinking.
we all need to take this dying thing as a real possibility, it happens all to often. now, i'm gonna go eat a ice cream bar, i feel a little tense.
soon to be sprayed
92 wrangler 350v8 700r4
02ss is offline   Reply With Quote