MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2003, 02:15 AM   #1
SleeperGT
Registered Member

Default Scariest Ride of My Life

So I'm heading to the airport cruising at about 67 mph when I pass what I think is a Lincoln Mark VII (two door Lincoln with the V8). I have no clue what year it is but it is beautiful, black paint, slightly lowered, on great looking wheels and tinted windows. He starts to pace me. There is no traffic out so I figure I'll give it a little gas and see what happens. He takes off, but I'm really not sure if he's going for it so I don't hammer it. I give it more gas to try to pace him and I realize he IS going for it, so finally I down shift to 4th and hammer it, but by now he a good 10 cars ahead of me and I didn't realize my lackadaisical approach to racing had already gotten us up to about 90 mph. There is no way I am going to let this Lincoln think he can beat a Stang! So I keep my foot well into it, shift up to 5th, keep the foot planted, and start praying because the car is getting a wee bit unstable (tires up front have worn kind of funny and don't track so well at speed), but I suck it in and finally go blowing past him. As I am flying past him I'm thinking to my self, hmmm this is probably about the fastest I have ever gone in my car....how do I know this? Because I think I've crapped my pants, so I take a quick peak at the speedo, and I mean real quick because my eyes are glued to the road and my knuckles are beyond white at this time. The speedo was registering between 145 mph and 150 mph. Wholly freaking cow!! This was way past my last top speed run which barely touched 130 mph, and on that run I almost crapped my pants. Anyways, I figure the Lincoln was doing about 125 mph when I finally caught him, but he knew I was coming because he never let off.

Now for the real kicker of the story. Less than 1/4 mile after we get off it we round a slight bend and Johnny Law is out pulling people over. By this time we roll by at about 85 mph, but they are busy with people they had already busted. I wonder how much jail time I would have gotten if we were busted and would I ever get my license back?

I' not sure how accurate my speedo is, I've got a speed cal on it though. I wish I had gotten a peak at the rpm's I was running at when I took that quick glimpse at the high end to try to do some validation.

The moral of this story? Always bring an extra pare of drawers with you when you drive to the airport. Also, I will NEVER do that type of run again. Way too dangerous.
3.1" Pulley
Paxton Air-to-Air Aftercooler
90 mm MAS
42 lb injectors
Cobra Fuel Pump
70 mm AccuFab Throttlebody
C & L Intake Plenum
2 1/2" X-pipes
Anderson PowerPipe
MagnaFlow Mufflers
Diablo Custom Chip
3.73's