View Single Post
Old 08-06-2001, 04:41 PM   #10
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Skylines are pretty awesome cars - I saw one at the Lemans races at Sears Point that one of the companies that imports them brought. All wheel drive twin turbo 2.5L V6. These cars have a traction control system unlike on other cars I have seen (most cars use the brakes at each corner). The Skyline senses lateral and longitudinal G-forces as well as yaw rate and uses front/rear and left/right viscous differentials to control how much torque gets to each of the four wheels individually. Brakes into a corner effectively in a rear-wheel-drive mode to allow the front tires more traction for braking and turn-in, then uses the all-wheel drive to pull out of a turn like crazy.
The pamphlet that they were giving out claims that the new R35 model can run the 1/4 mile in the high-12 to low-13 range on street tires. From what I have seen, the Japanese companies underrate the cars that they sell in Japan because they are not allowed to have more than 285hp on a street car. Obviously most of the Japanese turbo cars that they sold here (3000GT-VR4, 300ZX twin turbo, Supra) were rated for 320hp and that's not because they actually have more horsepower than the Japanese models.
Oh yeah, did I mention that they also have rear wheel steering actuated by an electric servo motor...

[This message has been edited by blue00gt (edited 08-06-2001).]