View Single Post
Old 01-19-2001, 12:28 AM   #43
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Naw, even if runner length was comparable the EFI motor will still out torque a carb motor. Just has to do with the better fuel distribution and atomization. The only clear cut advantage a carb has like I said earlier is the cooling effect the fuel has as it turns from a liquid to a vapor. All things being equal. I suppose myabe if on a racing setup somebody with a little technical savy might be able to overcome this situation by introducing a small bit of fuel upstream allowing it to vaporize then utilizing a standard injection setup for fuel metering. I doubt such a setup would work on anything less than a race car with a short runner system. As for tuning, I think EFI is just as simple, expecially with an SD car. Pull the plugs, examine them the adjust then pressure. On a MAF car with stock electronics, if the fuel system is worked out right. What kind of adjustments need to be made? The MAF measures the volume of air going into the engine and the computer meters it based on a few more inputs. No air bleeds, no jets, no power valves, no vaccum diaphrams, none of that stuff. Unless your in the habit of just bolting on a supercharger when you need some extra power that night and then taking it off, Who needs to adjust what. EFI's not sensitive to alt, temp, or humidity like a carb. Any combination of those three affects the amount of air the engine is able to injest so the fuel management system just adjust accordingly. No need to change the jets because yesterday you ran in death valley and now your doing a hill climb up Everest, but like I said it comes down to your prefernce. This topic could be as hotly debated as the big vs. small issue, old vs. new etc. Brand X vs. the best . I'm willing to bet somebody has twice the reasons ready to claim why carbs are superior
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote