View Single Post
Old 03-18-2001, 01:35 AM   #29
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Cool

There I was, getting ready for the ultimate 3 way race.

In my corner I had a 386sx 33Mhz, I was running Windows 2k on it. It was a total freak! Most 386's would have collapsed just trying to load the program, but strangely my 160mb hard drive was also a freak! I had Windows 2k, and about 50 other programs on it, just crazy. I'm just pleased that I can download videos with my 2400baud modem faster than they can play!

Anyway, in the another corner it was a brand new AMD Athelon 1.2Ghz box, loaded. DMA/100 hard drive, DSL, Ethernet card, everything. It was pretty bad *** !

The final runner was a brand new 2001 PIV 1.5Ghz Dell box. It had the new 64mb Geforce graphics card, turtle beach santa cruz, DMA/100 hard drive, ethernet card, a T3 connection. Totally tweeked out!

Anyway, our race was to download Red Alert 2 off an internet site, install it, run it, and be the first one to actually have the game start!

Ready... set... GO! We boot up, my 386 being seasoned got the jump right there, I was already dialing up the web when the other two guys were still loading Windows! Ha sucka's!

Once they were up all they had to do was double click and they are on the net, good thing my modem is a freak, it connected in like 12sec! I was a little behind at that point , but my **** loads so fast, the site was up and I was downloading before the T-3! My lead just kept getting bigger and bigger while I was downloading. It was sick, those new boxes are just slow.

Anyway, I was done downloading like 30 sec faster than the PIV, the AMD box was still going, it was wayyyyyyyyy behind. Loser, doesn't he know his 60k/sec DSL is no match for my freak 2400baud?

Anyway, that's when I noticed, damn, I forgot to hit the "turbo" button and I was actually running in 8Mhz. That's why the PIV was running so close, this time when I rebooted I kept my eye's on the turbo and punched it as soon as the O/S loaded! Heh, the PIV was like 1 min behind me at that point.

Once the turbo kicked in and the full 33Mhz came on line, it was all over, cept for a quick scare with my serial mouse, my box was actually running so fast, it shot the mouse right off the port!!!

Long story shortened, I was up and playing 6 min before the PIV box. Heh, that'll teach those guys to spend all there money on so called "fast" computers!!
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote