View Single Post
Old 02-17-2001, 07:36 PM   #21
inferno
The Instigator

Hey dinomite, how much money does it take to make a an american car go faster than 8.7 and what kind of mods? I imagine a blower with lots of boost, a built engine and fuel system, a full race suspension, some form of weight reduction and in most cases slicks(a very few cars can claim 9's or better on "street tires" aka drag radials). I don't know how this discussion moved to full race cars. I don't see why people seem to have gotten offended by the fact that Cobra R's and Vipers have a tendency to break axles when you add sticky tires with stock horsepower.

FWD vehicles were never designed with drag racing in mind, as you all are quick to point out(I also agree), but some of you need to give credit where credit is due. Unibody Honda's are on the verge of breaking into the 8's, and I am sure that tube frame cars will break into the 7's within the next two years. People have been racing RWD V8's for decades, but not until the late 80's has there been a surge for FWD imports. The industry is growing a lot faster than ever expected and the records keep falling. There are imports out there(not very many) that can put on slicks, run 10's at the strip, then put on street tires and go home. I know the number of domestics that can do this is a lot higher, but there is a lot more time and experience behind those vehicles and how to make power with them. There are a few FWD imports generating 4 digit power numbers which was thought to be impossible, and a number of single digit FWD cars.

It is sad to see that quite a few people on this site still have the idea that there is no such thing as a fast import. Everytime I point out something, I get posts by several individuals trying to "prove me wrong" or dismiss my post. I also continue to see bashing posts in other threads that I haven't responded to. I know that the domestic crowd and the import crowd will never see completely eye to eye, but I would hope that there would be a lot more respect for each other. I am a moderator at an import website which I will not name, and I am sickened by the many import owners who talk down on domestics and I don't let people bash domestics. I think that all car enthusiasts whether driving a RWD V8 or a FWD I4 have a lot more in common than they are willing to admit. I probably am going to get a lot of flames for this post from individuals that are closed minded and not willing to accept FWD cars as *gasp* competition and don't want to accept the fact that there are some out there that can beat them.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote