View Single Post
Old 12-22-2001, 03:36 AM   #47
Unit 5302
Registered Member

There is a lot of wild speculation and false statements flying back and forth.

If you cannot launch a twin turbo RX7 that weighs only 2800lbs, then you're doing something wrong. You need to spool the turbos before you launch, that is where you get a great launch. Just like any small displacement turbo car.

As for a 14k redline, it's not gonna happen.

Layout: Longitudinal mounted front engine
Disp./Cylinders: 1.308 L 2-Rotor Wankel Rotary
Bhp@RPM: 250 @ 8500
Torque (lb.-ft.)@RPM: 153 @ 7500
Fuel System: Electronic Fuel Injection

Those are the specifications I pulled off

http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/200...l2429spec.html

With peak power coming in at 8500rpm, I seriously doubt a redline higher than 9k. Those numbers are EXTREMELY suggestive of performance in line with the S2000, except with the RX8 weighing in at a few hundred lbs more, it'll be very lucky to see a 13sec stock pass. Other totally speculative sites do not list the RX8's redline to be in excess of 10k, and why would it be?

The rotory engine has it's advantages, so do piston engines. I think the RX8 is a serious step backwards from the RX7. I think engine longevity will be poor in the RX8. Too bad we won't know for 10 years, if ever.

This site is dedicated to a piston powered car with a powerplant so incredibly different it's not even worth comparing the two on that level. The 7.3sec Pro Stock pass may be the fastest IMPORT pass. The Mustang Pro Stock class is well into the 6's. Car vs car, for the money, the Mustang is superior. It's why the Mustang is still here and the RX7 is not.