MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-17-2001, 10:11 PM   #1
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
Post How To Win Races???

What RPM should i launch at?
should i dump, Or Slip, & at what rpm?
also, i dont really know how to powershift(never tried, except on dirtbike), but I think I have it figured out, just clutch in, & put it in the next gear as fast as possible without letting off on the gas, then when its in gear, dump the clutch???

Ill Play around on the streets for a while before i take it to the track.

I still have the stock shifter, & stock 3.08 gears, but the tires are BFG radial T/A 235/60/15

Also, what ET could I expect on my FIRST pass down the 1/4? I just hope to get a 14 second Timeslip, is that realistic?????

Thanks

------------------
1988 Mustang GT, T-5
3.08's, No Smog Pump (Shorty Belt), Dumps At The End Of Stock H-Pipe, K&N Air Filter (Stock Air Box), Removed Air SilencerMy Stang
My Site (Not Done Yet)
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:25 AM   #2
dinomite
The Dude

noone can tell you how to launch, the only way is to practice. go out on the street and launch higher and higher till you spin, then back off. with powershifting, same thing, just practice.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:56 AM   #3
BowTie Eater 5 Liter
Registered Member

Location: Maple Ridge B.C. Canada, The Best Place In The World
Should i dump, or slip the tranny, & should i bother smokin the tires?

with powershiftin, did i explain the right procedure?

thanks
BowTie Eater 5 Liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 07:51 PM   #4
BennyBoy

Exclamation

With radials at the track don't do a burnout, it will just make your tires oily and slippery. Just go around the box and spin them a little to get the dust and dirt off them, but don't get them hot. And also, with radials, I would slip the clutch out, not dump it. Lower your air pressure some in the rear, and raise it some in the front. But dumping the clutch would be too much shock for the radials in my opinion.

Your explanation of powershifting is correct. I'd make sure you had it down pretty dang good before you did it at the track.

Oh yeah, and 14 second timeslips are very attainable. Make sure your car is tuned up, lightened up a little (spare/jack, 1/4-1/8 tank of gas, floor mats, speaker boxes, anything else not needed), practice launching/shifting technique, and you should get some very decent times.

Good luck!!! Peace.

------------------
'69 Coupe with 351W
=========================
Edelbrock RPM intake, Edelbrock RPM cam, Edelbrock 750 cfm carb, Edelbrock lifters, Edelbrock double roller timing chain, Edelbrock valve springs, Accel coil, Moroso Blue-Max wires, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" pipe, glasspacks, Flex fan, Lakewood traction bars, C4, 9" Currie on order, 290hp-stock heads
=========================
The Surgeon General didn't say anything about smoking your azz!!