MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Supercharger for the Saleen S281?
Paxton Novi 1000 2 7.41%
Paxton Novi 2000 8 29.63%
Vortech S-Trim 4 14.81%
Procharger 10 37.04%
Powerdyne 0 0%
Vortech T-Trim 1 3.70%
Eaton/Saleen Roots blower 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. This poll is closed

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2001, 11:11 AM   #21
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Default If a little is good, more is better, and too much is just enough.....what's too much?

Unfortunately, no one ask one really good question. Where do you want you HP&TQ peak to be at? Off idle, mid-range, or high end?

Off idle, I'd go with the Saleen unit. They're somewhat reliable, and they make good power for what they are, but if you're spending the money anyway, skip on the Saleen and go with a Whipple.

Mid-range, Whipplecharger. Makes real good usable power throughout the whole RPM range, but peak somewhere near 4500. The only problem I have with the "roots" blowers is that the car can get really hard to control at the lower RPM range. Throttle response is immediate and at times way too much. In all it's probably the best overall unit for the street.

High end, Vortech, Paxton, ProCharger are all basically the same thing in a different package. they lack somewhat on the bottom end of the RPM range, and can come on too strong with increased psi. With a base unit, you shouldn't see over 9-11psi. With the right intake, the base centerfugal blower will have enough mid-range to hang with the "roots" and as you climb in the RPM'syou'll leave the "roots" gasping for air. The beauty of these units is that the higher you go in the RPMs the more boost you get, in generic terms.

Oh, and don't be fooled by the kit price. That does not include installation. If I had known that I would have gone with a turbo set-up myself. I have a Vortech S-trim with Aftercooler and I see 14psi@6000, and the car is still making power all the way to 6500 when I run out of knuts. I am currently rebuilding the motor to withstand going to 7500rpms every once in a while. I still don't know if I'll take it there, but just in case......

Also, no matter what you go with, for peace of mind and added security, make sure that you go intercooled, or aftercooled. You'll thank yourself later.

Ok, I think I've ran my mouth long enough. Hope this helps out some. Later.
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote