MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-22-2002, 04:42 PM   #1
Milktasd
Registered Member

Unhappy 1996 Cobra vs 2001 SS

I had just gotten out of class, it was about noon. I was at the Hwy 80 and Airport Road junction. At the light, I had a cop behind me. So I was pissed I had to accelerate slow and legal. There was an suv beside me so when the light turned green I speed slowly, but faster than the suv so I could pull in front of it and not let the cop stay behind me. I was pulling up to the "roundabout"(if you don't know what it is look it up. It is a stupid invention.) I see a Camaro up there. To far away to tell what year. It would be cool if it was a z28 (didn't enter my mind to think it was an ss. There were only 3 that I knew of or had seen and they were still at the college I go to). I pull up behind it and the first thing I notice is the rear tires. This guy had some Yokohoma A032R. They were the 315 wide version. Then I looked at the badging and saw the SS emblem and the special spoiler on the trunk. I knew I was going to get beat, but didn't care. I wanted to see this thing go. So he pulls up to the front of the roundabout. He gives it two revs and takes it going about 25 MPH. There is no speed limit for it, so the cop can't do anything. I go right after him beacuse only a few people in Jackson know how to use it. They stop when they shouldn't and go when should stop. I catch up to him and he stays in fourth to let me know he still sees me. I look in the rear view mirror and notice the cop is stuck at the roundabout. Hell yeah no cops. I rev it couple of times to tell him I ready and willing. So when the one lane opens up to two lanes, I pull beside him go 80 MPH and pass him to get in front of the car that is in front of him. Now we come up to some traffic. "Goddammit, I want to race this guy even if he kills me horribly." Well there two cars in front of me in the right lane and about fifteen feet in front of them in the left lane was two other cars. So I speed up to pass the traffic. I get in the left lane and stays in the right lane. The SS is taking his time. So I speed up to 100 MPH to let him know I still want to race. I slow back down to 60 MPH and see the front of his car lift up, from about 1 1/2 car lenghts back, and start catching up quick. When he is about 3/4 of a car length away from me, I drop it into 3rd. He catches up to me and starts pulling away!!!!!! At 100 MPH he his about 1 1/2 car lengths ahead and still going. Still giving it everything my little 1996 Cobra has got with the power of underdrives, K&N aircharger system, and 3.73 has got he keeps pulling away until I stop at 120 MPH with him 3 car lengths ahead. Goddamn, that thing was fast. And I will admit I even liked the sound of that SS and I almost always hate the sound of camaro's. So we slow down for the light that had just turned green and the traffic ahead had thickened. I was in the right lane, that eventually turned right to go to Lakeland East and he got into the left lane to go West. He gave it a little gas to make the tires bark and left me. I was deciding whether or not to ask him if he was stock or not. It was the first camaro to race me, so I didn't know how close I would be to a regular Z28 or SS. Right when I get to the turn to go home, I speed across the two lanes of traffic to be by the SS. I stop next to him and nobody was in front of me for 20 ft. at the light. I already had my windows down, he saw I wanted to talk, so he lowered his. I asked if he was stock. He said no. "What are the mods" He preceded to tell me he had gears, pulleys, custom intake manifold, headers, pipes, and a chip. Then I had to leave because of the green light and the people behind me were getting pissed. So I asked one final question "Are those 315's" He said "Yeah" So I left and preceded to look for the next intersection to be able to turn around. He pulled into the now empty third lane, that Lakeland turns into right there at the light. And he left quickly. That thing took off and he didn't make the tires bark once. I was impressed. I was happy I got to race a 2001 SS, even though I lost. So I figure that since he pulled away that quickly with the mods he had, that the Trans AM in the other story must not have been stock. It sucks that the few SS out here are not stock so I have to have more work down to my car to even keep up with them. But now I have a goal. To be able to atleast hang alot better with the modded SS. I plan on getting some cams,headers, pipes, 4.30,chip, 17X9 Cobra R rims with some big ol' tires on the back. If you have any other modification ideas let me know. Nothing real radical like NOS ,turbo, or a supercharger. Just little **** that will add up, if all of it is done together.
Milktasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 01:14 AM   #2
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

ummmm....I would suggest 4.11 or 4.30 gears, full exhaust, bigger throttle body and mass-air meter, and a shifter. I could probably think of some more, but I'm tired

Hey if you wanna drive over here and lend me your car for a few days I could....ummmmm...."anilize" it for any weak spots in the power band

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 05:38 PM   #3
Milktasd
Registered Member

Default Exactly

That is exactly what I am about to do to my car. I will be doing all but the 4.30 soon. I will do those when I can get a 6 speed. That will be awhile.

BBK 1 5/8 headers
BBK Offroad h-pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder Catback
C&L intake kit(bigger mass air meter and cold air induction kit)
BBK Twin 65(I think) throttle bodies
Pro 5.0 Shifter
Old 01-25-2002, 11:26 AM   #4
SaleenGTS
RICE taste like Chicken

4.10's or 4.30's will kill your top end....just help your acceleration, but those 32 valvers LOVE gear! Getting beat by 4.5 cars to 120 isn't that bad. At that speed it is prolly .2-.3 tenths at the most.
Started her up 6/8/03

Old Motor
Supercharged 347

516 rwhp
553 rwtq

11.249@126.83

1997 Honda CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird
162 hp
SaleenGTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 08:09 PM   #5
LS1JAY
Registered Member

He said he had a custom intake and a chip? they don't make custom intakes for our LS1's yet(2001's come with the LS6 intake) although there are some in the works, they also don't have chips? I wonder why he told you all that stuff ? they do have power programmers which most of the time do nothing but cause detonation in LS1's when the powertuning is used but they are handy for gear changes! most everyone I know with the mods you described were low 12 sec rides with some in the high 11's with a good deal of weight reduction. sounds like you have a strong car!
Jay
1999 Camaro SS / A4 / #0877 Best ET with only Mac's, Lid & 160* Thermostat: 12.73@109.15 New Mods: '02 LS6 Cam & Springs, LS6 Oil Pump & PCV System, Yank 2600 Stall Converter & LS1 Edit.
http://jayscustomrods.homestead.com/index.html
LS1JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 09:51 PM   #6
Milktasd
Registered Member

Wink I wish

I wish IT was my car. But it is not MY car. LOL

It was fast as hell, though, whether he lied or not.