MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-14-2001, 08:32 PM   #21
KillaZ350
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by StreetStang37:
How are the later ones closer to the LT1?? The 5.7 T.P.I. pushes like 240 stock while the LT1 is like 280 stock. Not too close if you ask me. And also they offered a stick versus strictly auto for the 92- and down, another difference worth mentioning.

The 1990/92 5.7 Z28s had like 15 more HP and alot more torque then the prevous 5.7s, 350trqe to be exact. The TPI has more torque than an Lt1 to and can get a small jump off the Lt1 on the line, then by the time the Lt1 hits 3rd gear, the better drive train, gearing, and more power takes over and its all over for the TPI.
Someone else could probabily get more techanical than i can though, but thats pretty much it.

Nowadays most thirdgen camaros are ragged out with high miles and all, aftermarket parts are expensive and hard to find so most are stock, they dont even make an aftermarket intake for a TPI Fbody and thats one of its worst power problems, so its hard to find a good example of a GOOD RUNNING L98 to compare your car with out their, 19/20 times youll be racing something thats been neglected. Thats one reason ill never get rid of mine, its one of the "few" nice 3rdgen camaros.

------------------
1991 Z28 Camaro L98
5.7L T.P.I
Blk ext/grey lthr int
http://www.iroc-z.org/albums/KamaroZ91/
KillaZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 01:24 AM   #22
MiracleMax
Registered Member

Yeah they do Killa, it's a **** eating ACCEL Power Ram. And its the reason why I wouldn't even give an off-brand intake manifold a chance. Installed one on a 300 hp 350, it just made that dink motor worse!

First off it comes in 5 different pieces

1. Intake Plenum, Runners, Intake base, Plenum Lid.

Then you've got the throttle body

First you put on the base, then the runners which requires the removal of four rocker arms, then the plenum bolts onto the runners by screwing in a bunch of bolts from the underside, then you bolt down the plenum cover and bolt on the Tbody (which was a TPI favorite 1000 cfm piece, which I dunno why?)

Course you got things like the siamesed runners and the like, but what a choice, either build a 383 stroker to take advantage of that dork accel manifold, or build a wheezer 350 that has to suck air through a straw.

I hate chevy TPi motors, everybody I know just rips the efi stuff out of 3rd gen camaros and stuffs in a carb and intake.

My roommate had a 3rd Gen IROC-Z, damn car hated me and I hated it. Tried to talk her into selling it and getting a mustang. Could never do it (damn it all)
MiracleMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 01:59 PM   #23
KillaZ350
Registered Member

Arrow

The reason it didnt work was becaus he needs to upgrade his heads and Cam for the minni-ram to work right, with the just minni-ram kit thats like a mis-match with the engine without cams,heads, runners, injecters and other extra stuff you mentioned, you could save a few thousand and get an s/c. I wasent talking about a super, minni or Trap intake i meant that L98 air snorkle, which would be a simple aftermarket peice worth a small amount of power, i was using it as an example.

[This message has been edited by KillaZ350 (edited 02-15-2001).]
KillaZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2001, 03:16 PM   #24
AJSTANG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillaZ350:

Nowadays most thirdgen camaros are ragged out with high miles and all, aftermarket parts are expensive and hard to find so most are stock, they dont even make an aftermarket intake for a TPI Fbody and thats one of its worst power problems, so its hard to find a good example of a GOOD RUNNING L98 to compare your car with out their, 19/20 times youll be racing something thats been neglected. Thats one reason ill never get rid of mine, its one of the "few" nice 3rdgen camaros.

FYI. Lingenfelter makes an after market intake. Trick flow has heads and numerous companies make cams for the the L98.

I really don't care, but I know this because my brother has a '91 Z28 with a TPI 350 that he's trying to make fast enough to beat my stang.

AJSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote