MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-18-2001, 11:14 PM   #1
79Stang351W
Registered Member

Post Drag racing citation & Lawyers

1BAD89

Just because it is your first offense and any other "mitigation" you have to offer, should you believe that you will get some type of "Break." Once you testify and admit that you were racing, you will be found guilty. Your attempts at mitigation only apply to your pending sentence. (In Pennsylvania it is a fine of $200, and suspension of your driving privileges for 6 months) The fine can be reduced by the judge, but the suspension is a "Collateral" consequence which is NOT controlled by the judge. (At least in PA)
If Drag Racing is a more serious offense such as a DUI, then you would be afforded an arraignment and preliminary hearing. If it is a summary offense like a traffic citation issued to the offender at the time of the incident, then you get no "report" or other items of "discovery." You get a hearing before the local magistrate/district justice. You appeal your guilty verdict to the County court level. Only Then, do you talk to the prosecutor who MAY offer you a plea for a different offense which doesn't wallop you with the six month suspension. Police officers usually don't have the authority to reduce charges. Prosecutors do.
Your best bet, and my advice, is to hire an experienced defense attorney in your area. BTW, I am not a defense attorney, I am on the other side. But, I have a soft heart for Mustang owners.

Mike
79Stang351W is offline   Reply With Quote