MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-09-2001, 02:10 PM   #1
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Exclamation Some kinda Turbo'd supped up Sabauru Tried Racing Me!

I was on my home from a great day at work yesterday (Thursday night), minding my own bussiness as usual. I see this kinda wild looking Subauru (Misspelled) in a non descript Silverish gold color next to me.

Looked like two High school kids or young college kids in it. They kept starring over at my car and looking at the stickers (Yes I have stickers in my quarter windows, but I actually have the parts and speed to back them up)(FlowMaster, BBK, Brothers, and K&N)

We were both in the right turn lanes, the light turned green and I drove off like a old man wearing a hat, Slow. Well when we got straigthened out, I heard the unmistakable sound of a Howling Monkey (Turbo Type) and the sound of the Waste gate opening between shifts.

THey blow by me doing like 80 MPH. I didnt want to waste my gas or push my luck much at the time so I let them go.

They slow down and pull along beside me and goose the throttle about a dozen times.

After about the 11th or so time they got on it, I had had enough. At 60 MPH, I do a rev match down shift into third. The tires spin for a second I hook and pass them like there nothing. I know they got an earfull of 40 Series flows at 4000 at full throttle. Gotta love that.

Well the light ahead changes red, and we get clear lanes (Cliffdale and Skibo int.) The lanes are kinda staggared his line was 3/4 of a car length ahead of me.

They kept looking over and revving at me. I didnt pay them much attention and just played it cool like I usually do. The light changed and our reaction time was about the same. He launched alot harder than I did but that didnt get him anywhere ahead of me. I could hear that Turbo just screaming away for a second.

Even with his starting spot being 3/4 car length ahead, by the end of first I had him. His front bumper was about at my rear bumper, and at the end of second he was two car lengths back. By the end of third I put my Hazards on and he was about 4 car lengths back.

We pulled up next to each other a few lights down. We werent first in line, even if we were I dont think he'd want to go again.

He looked over at me and I said "Gotta a little Whirly bird under the hood I hear."

He asked me what a whirly Bird was ( I thought everyone knew the term whirly bird) I told him its slang for Turbo.

"Man you aint no where near stock Dog!" is what he said to me.

"Yep, pretty much stock. Only one or two small things that dont add to much more than 5 HP (Yeah right )"

He pointed out that my exahust wasnt stock. I told him Flowmasters dont give ya much more power, just kick *** sound.

"Man, I never loose to Stock Mustangs, I always beat them Gee."

I say back cocky as hell "Well thats because you never raced me before just now. I'm just a real good driver, and they must of sucked."

He rolled his eyes then accused me of spraying "Noss". He kept insisting i sprayed "Noss". I couldnt help but laugh.

I told him I wouldnt and didnt need "Nitrouis" to pass his slow turd.

He gave me the bird and spun tires and turned a REAL quick right into Miaimi Subs.

Boy I just made a new friend. I know I sound cocky but he needed a good trash talking to hurt his ego.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle, 40 series Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax. Ordered 4:10's.

64 1/2 red 6cyl coupe. Future resto.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 02:22 PM   #2
MidNiteBlu 5.0
I got something to say

Talking

That car was probably a new Subaru Impreza WRX. There are pretty damn fast if you know how to drive them. I think they have like 227 horspower or something. They are all wheel drive to. Motor Trend tested it in July, 2001... 5.6 0-60, 14.2@94.4 1/4 mile The engine is a turbo flat four. i think they are pretty sweet but i dont know if this is what you raced. Was it a four door?

Later

------------------
'89 LX Hatchback 5spd, Flowmasters, K+N, B+M Ripper shifter, Ford Racing 10.5" Clutch, Kick a** stereo coming soon!
MidNiteBlu 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 02:29 PM   #3
Crazy Horse GT
Registered Member

Talking

good kill, was it one of the new wxr's or whatever they are calling them now, i used to have one of the xrt's i thought it was ok, but didnt have anything else to drive at the time,so he alway's beats stang's hehe yeah right, he was talking about 4 banger's or the one's in junkyard's i suppose haha that's a good one good job merc take care see ya.

------------------
2000gt black,broke a$$ street racing!the last rebel!
Crazy Horse GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 02:32 PM   #4
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Yep, it was a four door. It had a somewhat wild looking front end. Looked pretty new.

He launched hard and didnt spin all. I didnt do a full force Johnny Force Launch because the pavement on my lane was a little bumpy.

I updated my sig. Good time to test it.

Last week at the hang out a few guys mentioned some kid driving a Subauru Turbo Charging something or another talking trash and wanting to race them. I take it that was who I bumped into last night.

Argh my sig is to long and was cut off.

------------------
64 1/2 "D" code Red Mustang Coupe. 289, C4, Mallory duel point. Ported & Polished 65 heads shaved .01 with 351 valves, 11:1 comp, 1.7:1 rockers, blue wolverine lumpy cam, modified 4100 Hipo 4 barrel. GT Apperance pkg. And to many others to list

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. BBK Underdrive pulleys, Flotech off-road H pipe. Hurst T-Handle, 40 series Flowmasters, Steeda Tri-Ax. Resistor in Air temp trick, Cold air Lowe's style, Ordered 4:10's. And a Monkey Co-pilot "Power Shift" hanging from m

[This message has been edited by Mercury (edited 11-09-2001).]
Old 11-09-2001, 06:57 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

If it was a new Subaru and had a turbo, then it could only have been the WRX. We may have to watch out for them soon. My friend has a magazine that had a test of several of these that different tuner companies have been trying to develop parts for in the 4 months since they had been released. Quickest one ran 12.9 in the 1/4.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 10:34 PM   #6
bri32z
street racing junkie

Cool

I think those little cars are pretty cool. 227hp in a light awd car is awsome. I even though of getting one for my wife before this war crap scared the economy. I would like to test one out somtime.

------------------
95 gt:347 stroker balanced,edelbrock 150 shot, edelbrock intake and heads ported and matched, 70mm throttle body, 75mm mass air meter, 2040 cam, 1.7 cobra rockers,cold air induction, bbk equal lengths,high flow h-pipe, super chip, 24lb injectors,190lph fuel pump(bbk), under drive pulleys, 4;30 gears,Hurst shifter Has other mods but not too sure what my mechanic did. To see all mods look at my spec page.
R/T .641
60FT 1.57
1/8 6.98
1/4 10.81 @ 127MPH

bri32z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2001, 05:17 AM   #7
69fastback
IRAQ VET

LOL looks like u made a really good new friend. Nice kill. I haven't seen one of those yet. but i am srue i will here soon.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2001, 02:31 PM   #8
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Well when we went and invaded the ricers, I asked around about him, and they want to find the guy also. He talked mad trash to them also.

I'm sure we'll bump heads again. Next time I'll really show him what I can do, after some greens are plopped down.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Old 11-12-2001, 06:03 AM   #9
robertwigton
Registered Member

Question "NOSS"

Super good job!! These Ricer punks are some thing,NOSS!
Tell them to go home and watch some more TV!
robertwigton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 08:39 PM   #10
gtsr515
Registered Member

Talking PICK ON SOMEBODY YOUR OWN SIZE

Now don't get me wrong my love will always be the mustang but those WRX's for a stock vehicle are bad ***, whoop up on BMW's an AUDI's twice the price. Being this guy was a punk, **** talker, he prob couldnt drive, the WRX goes 60 in 5.6 so please give credit where its due, not bad for a 4 cyl. dont forget you got 8.
Old 11-13-2001, 01:27 AM   #11
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

But he's got Boost and I dont. It would probably be a fun little car to toy around town in. Have to be red though.

The race would be comparable to a stock or slightly moddified 94-98 GT. He might be able to beat some stock stangs. Even some modded ones. (not to sound arrogant) But not this car, and not this driver.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Old 11-13-2001, 12:52 PM   #12
topless tire fryer
All show, some go 4 now!

I was looking at one of the WRX's too. Then I remembered I don't fit in them and I have 4 cyllinders, so I came to my senses an bought the stang.

Seriously, they are bad little cars, and once the aftermarket catches up with them they will be legit.
Old 11-13-2001, 02:40 PM   #13
haulin'balz
The Notorious One

They are pretty damn cool. My friend's got one. I have to admit it, that little car could kick my Stang's a$$.............if it was snowing out!

Damn this thing's fast!!!

[url]"http://www.mustangworks.com/cgi-bin/moi-display.cgi?1959"my ride[url]
haulin'balz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2001, 04:12 PM   #14
gtsr515
Registered Member

The aftermarket is there for the WRX, it's just not as popular here.

The Aussie's have got some bad *** WRX's.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:34 PM   #15
Rev
Registered Member

I'm wondering what they weigh? Look small to me. I'm guessing only about 2800 lbs. Anyone know for sure?

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2001, 02:24 AM   #16
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

I seen one, i kinda like them and all, but my friend with a supra knows a guy over here with one of those, he said its awd,turbo, and pretty quick off the line, but will get smoked on midrange and topend, especially in a v8 healthy running stang

if they run anywhere 14.2 like mentioned, i would really have to run the **** outta my car to beat one, but the driver ha salot to do with it.

I doubt those subarus are too light, cuz awd cars always seem heavier.

And that dudes poopra, well on the topend is where he will hand me my ***!
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 12:03 AM   #17
KidNotch4793
Registered Member

Good kill Merc Those WRX's are pretty sweet, I was looking into one for a winter car... Then I remembered I'm a college student and I have no money
Eddlebrock intake,K&N, 70mm,March Underdrive pullies, Jacobson ignition,Superchip, Borla,3:73's, Kenny Brown Subframe connectors, Hurst shifter, Centerforce, Saleen Wing, Cobra Badges.
KidNotch4793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 12:18 AM   #18
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I believe the WRX conversation came up a while ago, back when Inferno was hangin around and all that. Man, seems like so long ago...

Anyway, the general info on the WRX is mid/high 14's dropping off significantly in the top end. The AWD system robs a tremendous amount of power, so even though the little 2800lb scooters have 227hp, it's more like 165hp or something that gets to the wheels. They should be easy to mod, but even the true WRX STi with 276hp manages only very high 4 low 5sec 0-60's and quarter miles in the 13's. If a new GT' was capable of running a high 4 in the 0-60 it would rip off a mid 13 easy. That's with less hp than a STi and 400lbs of additional weight.

If you're worried, which I'm not, run them from a roll. They'll have to have at least an additional 100hp over stock to really pound a new stock GT, or mild modded fox body.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2001, 12:36 AM   #19
Hammer
AKA "Dr. Evil"

Thumbs up

I like WRXs... Kinda taste like chicken...
Sorry, had to slip that one in there... hehe...
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 10:21 AM   #20
46stang
Registered Member

crazy kids in a suburu i tell ya! pretty funny story. he's probably all butt hurt now.

11.49@122mph bakerfield raceway!
11.67@120mph fontana

98 GT, stock for now.
46stang is offline   Reply With Quote