MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-20-2001, 01:11 PM   #1
crumbie

Default ? for those pulled for street racing

My buddy and I got pulled over last night and got a "drag racing" ticket...I live in South Carolina and was wondering what kind of points/license revoke/etc. others have received for getting a drag racing ticket...The officer didn't write any fine or points on my ticket and said I would get something in the mail telling when my court date was...

For further info, he didn't get us on radar, nor did we "break traction" through the intersection...We got on it from a roll in first, through 2 gear (little over 50 mph)...He did say he got us on tape, though...We weren't really "drag racing" in my book, but so I was wondering just what the definition is of street racing...
Old 11-20-2001, 02:05 PM   #2
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

I have gotten a racing ticket before, but I live in NC.

Breaking traction, speeding, and the absence of a radar gun are all irrelevant when it comes to speed competition. Did either of you admit to racing or knowing each other?

While speed is not a neccassary factor for a racing ticket, it can be a deciding factor. How fast were you all going when caught.

To what degree is the ticket. Is it Willfull or prearranged? I know Willfull competion of speed is 12 points on your license here in NC, No scratch that, its 10 points. Prearranged is 12 points. And you can loose your license for 3 years for either.

That doesnt make much sense, loose you licenense for one year for killing some one with a car, but loose it for 3 years for racing. Thats the way it is here in NC.

A lawyer cost me 480$. And the jerk didnt "Make it disappear" like he said he would. I got a stupid prair of Judgement and a reckless driving charge.

Still waiting for the Prair of Judgement to run out. They last three years, and I have one year to go. Thats something else. I got the ticket 4 yrs ago, it took a the lawyer forever to finally resolve. That p!ssed me off, so I went to talk to the bum, and he wouldnt see me, (He was always "Out") wouldnt talk to me, and wouldnt call me back. He was supposed to have my driving record esponged, but he didnt do that. You know how hard it is to get a Switching License (Yard Tractor Licenese) with a Reckless driving charge. If I ever see that Lawyer, I'll beat his A$$.

They thown a few of the guys I hang out with in the Slammer after they got caught. But that was because the cop thought the guy was running from him when it just took him so long to slow down. Dont ask me how, but he got out of it somehow.

Thats all I can really tell ya.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 02:44 PM   #3
crumbie

To answer some of your questions:

We never admitted to racing, although we did admit to knowing each other...I knew better on that one and I really didn't feel we were "drag racing"...I tried to explain to him we weren't racing, but he pushed me back with his flashlight and yelled at me for 10 minutes...So from then on I just shut my mouth...

I got up to probably 50 mph in a 45 zone...(top of 2nd with 3.73 gears)...

The only thing written on our tickets is that the ticket was issued for "drag racing"...

Nothing was pre-arranged...We were just at a light side by side, and paced each other up to the speed limit...That's it...

Basically, this policeman saw two mustangs side by side leaving at a light with loud exhaust...PERIOD...

Oh yeah, when he caught up to where we were, I had already pulled into a gas station to get gas and was getting out of the car...
Old 11-20-2001, 03:39 PM   #4
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

I'm not quite sure the law over there or even here in Canada. But that doesn't sound right if he didn't catch you on radar. Did you guys put down any rubber? Like especially if you only hit 50 in a 45. He was just looking to give a ticket and you were the unlucky one he saw.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 03:47 PM   #5
crumbie

Neither one of us left black marks, nor even spun tires through the intersection...We just rolled out and kind-of got on it the rest of first and second gear, with no intentions of racing...It's just like when you're out cruising with your friends side by side and your not racing, just pacing each other...

I was not the only one caught...My friend was caught too...He was the one I was "drag racing"

We've got some state trooper friends we know and are trying to get in touch with to find out what the deal is with a "drag racing" ticket...All I want to know is what the DEFINITION of drag racing is as defined by law...If it's what we were pulled over for, then everyone should be considered racing when leaving from a light...
Old 11-20-2001, 04:53 PM   #6
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

The definition in Ohio is something like this...

two or more cars in a side-by-side speed contest

...they write these rules very vaguly so as to enable 'them' to get the law to apply to just about anything you do - including mixing it up with an old lady in a minivan at a stoplight - you get the idea.

My advice:

1) Get a lawyer who specializes in traffic tickets, auto tickets, etc.

2) Do #1 immediately.

3) Don't forget #1.

In Ohio, there are serious penalties that can result. With insurance rates, possibly loosing your license, big fines, etc. it is definately worth getting a lawyer, even if it costs you some $$$.

Take care and good luck with your situation.
E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 05:56 PM   #7
crumbie

What I've gathered from talking to people at work is that I'm probably looking at 6 pts., unknown fine, 6 month license suspension, and sr-22(?) insurance (basically like dui)...The insurance hike would be for a 3 year period...This is not looking very good...
Old 11-20-2001, 06:02 PM   #8
Rev
Registered Member

I'll second Eric's advice. Lawyers may not be perfect and may not be able to "make things disappear", but you'll be a lot better off in court with one than without. Lawyers cost money, but who works for free? I'd get one (a good one) in a minute if I was in you're situation.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 09:27 PM   #9
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

Ok, I got caught racing a few years ago under similar circumstances. Except we were going slightly fastwer then you were, we passed the cop at the end of our race and we were pulling about 105mph. We didn't even know we passed him, and we slowed and raced again up to about 110. When he pulled us over he was so pissed off because he thought we started to run and it took him 1.5 miles to catch us.
He didn't get us on radar, but he was able to visually confirm our high rate of speed and the fact that we were racing. He was pissed, wrote us the ticket for "racing on highways," and left. I stayed to talk to the other dude who I didn't even know, and we made sure our stories would match up if we had to talk about it later on.
OK, heres what I did and my advice: go to the police station and talk to the cop. You will be surprised, but cops are real people too, lol. They have been in trouble themselves, and some are actually understanding. Conduct yourself in a straight up manner and tell the truth. Tell him you know you were stupid by trying to mess around with your friend. The thing a cop hates the most is a liar trying to get out of a ticket, so don't lie. I even talked to the cops superior officer, and tried to convince him to make the other cop take it easy on me. I commute to college, so thats one hting I told them. I said that if I lost my liscense, I would have to drop out of school. That worked very well for me. If you have a defense like that, it will really help.
So, the cop ended up dropping the charge and gave me 3 minor charges. I was very happy to say the least. he was a ver col guy and he even joked with me for having a Mustang that got beat by an Eclipse (yup, I lost the race too, I was so ashamed, lol.)
I think a lawyer is pretty excessive for a ticket, but thats just me. use a lawyer as a last resort.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 09:28 PM   #10
69fastback
IRAQ VET

Wow dude that sounds like alot of trouble. I bet u would save tons of money by getting a lawyer u insureance would probaly go through the roof.
91 GT
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2001, 09:34 PM   #11
Rev
Registered Member

My advice is, if you can't possibly come up with $500 for a lawyer, then you shouldn't street race.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 12:54 AM   #12
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Rev

Good point man. True, how true. Street racing an be an expensive hobbie.

Crumbie.

If you get a lawyer (I have never heard of anything like that working 91LX2BFAST. ) I thought once a ticket is turned in, its turned in, I didnt think there was any downsizing of the charge unless you talk to the DA, once that ticket is turned in at the end of the day.

Any way, if you get a lawyer, CHECK HIS CREDENTIALS. Dont settle for another Lawyers associate or Traine or any lame Sh!t like that.

Good luck.

2000 Perf Red Mustang GT. 5spd. Stage 2 CNC heads with Large Valves, Comp Cams (270-274 dur .550 lift), Forged Crank, DRP pistons, Manly H-beams, Pro M 87 mm Mass Air, 24lb Inj, 75mm TB, Plenum Spacer ,Long Tube Headers, Homemade H-pipe, 2 chamber Flows, 4:10's, Steeda Tri-Ax, LKW 70/30's, Eibach Drag Springs, Steeda SubFrames, Battle Boxes, Rear Girdle, Adj uppers, Alunimum Drshft, Southside Lift Bars.

Project Cars, 64 1/2 6cyl coupe, 1930 Model A Nostalgia Rod.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 09:17 AM   #13
crumbie

Thanx for all the advice...My friend that I was "drag racing" has a cousin that is a state trooper and we're going to talk to him about what we're in store for...I am thinking of consulting a lawyer on the matter, at the least to get his opinion on the matter and see what my options are...I don't think $500 dollars is too much of a price to pay considering the alternative...Plus, some lawyers offer free 30 minute consulting...

Anyone have legal connections in Greenville, SC?
Old 11-21-2001, 10:20 AM   #14
1astrsk
Registered Member

I don't know if this will help but I have the Ga law on racing.

40-6-186 -
(1) "Drag racing" means the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerated speeds in a competative attempt to outdistance each other or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course from the same point for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such a vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

(2) racing means the use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to outgain, outdistance, or prevent another vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles, or to test the physical stamina or endurance of drivers over long-distance driving routes.

(b) no person shall drive any vehicle on a highway in this state or race, speed competition or contest, drag race or acceleration contest, test of physical endurance, exhibition of speed or acceleration, or for the purpose of making a speed record, and no person shall in any manner participate in any such race, competition or contest of speed, or test or exhibition of speed.

From the way this law is written you were involved in a drag race. But this is Ga law. See if you can find the SC law and make sure that the crime you were charged with matches how the law is written.
1astrsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 02:06 PM   #15
91LX2Bfast
Registered Member

"...I have never heard of anything like that working 91LX2BFAST. ) I thought once a ticket is turned in, its turned in, I didnt think there was any downsizing of the charge unless you talk to the DA, once that ticket is turned in at the end of the day..."

Once the ticket is turned in, they can't withdrawel it, but they can drop the charge in court. As long as you sign the ticket as not-guilty, you get your day in court ("innocent untill proven guilty.") In the law, there are very few things that are "cut and dry." Most things are loosely defined so they can be interpretated as needed. I have heard of cops dropping major charges for minor charges quite often. The other guy I was racing got let of too. Cops are not out to get you. Its not like he was caught in a drug deal, he was racing.

Like I said before, look into all options before you go and drop $500 on a lawyer. And it doesnt have to do anything with "if you can't possibly come up with $500 for a lawyer, then you shouldn't street race." Its "why would you spend the money if you don't have to."

But I am sure cops in different areas act differently. Maybe the cops out here are just a lot more undertsanding an lienant. Who knows.
91LX2Bfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 05:51 PM   #16
exgmguy
Registered Member

You play, you pay!!!!

This is coming from someone who has had 4 drag racing tickets through the years.

1989 Mustang notchback
Warmed up 306 with a Procharger.
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 07:42 PM   #17
Unit 5302
Registered Member

From what I've seen, Lawyers are pretty much slapdicks when it comes to this kinda stuff. Sure they can plea for you and get the charge reduced, but there is a real good chance you can do that on your own as well.

The cop you dealt with was a dick. *******. *******. Whatever you want to call him. Standard issue doughnut eater. There are some good one's that are not on power trips out there, but not too many.

Plead not guilty REQUEST A SPEEDY TRIAL when you do. Most courts are so backlogged and messed up they schedule out more than 30 days. If your day in court is out more than 30 days from the time you enter your plea, have the judge dismiss the case. Talk to the arraignment officer at the arraignment before you get a lawyer. The arraignment will be at the time you plead at the courthouse. If he gives you a really good deal, I'd probably take it. If you are convicted of racing, chances are it will be expensive, and it may cost you your license.

People are stupid and they are dead set against anybody in this world having fun. That's why our laws are so strict for this kinda crap.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 08:19 PM   #18
Five0
Registered Member

If the laws here were that strict I would not even stop, I would try to run. I have done it before and got away with it but I had a friend that did it and got caught; I am not sure what happened to him but I know he went to jail for the night and had to pay to get his car out of the impound.

It just seems if the penalty for racing is almost as steep as the penalty for running I would take my chances. I know I would have run when I was 18 but I don't know what I would do now. I heard that the police could take your car and sell it at if you get caught racing here but I do not know if that is true.

That is why I do not street race much.

My old friend eluded the police by ducking in behind his friend’s house but the neighbor saw him do it and called the police and told them where he was.
RHC Member #44
nochevy@hotmail.com

1991 Mustang LX
Dart iron eagle block, 4340 28oz 347 crank, 4340 h-beam rods, probe ultra light pistons canfield heads “race ported by Brent Frazier”, solid roller cam and lifters “custom grind”, kooks 1 7/8" race headers, and much more.

Engine built by Brent Frazier.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 10:32 PM   #19
1965GTO
Registered Member

If you and your friend were both driving taurus wagons and left black marks for a block side by side pedal to the metal the cop wouldn't have even gave you a second look. Alot of them are just stupid a******* when it come to any car that has a reputation. They know you will look guilty in court if you are young and have a mustang. About all you can do is get a Lawyer, if you don't you will get worse charges if you get a lawyer it will cost you as much or more now but lesser or no charges which will cost you less in th long run: insurance cost possible unemployablility for some positions. The other way out might be if something happened to that cop and he couldn't make it to court or the tape if there is one. Actually the tape could be to your advantage depending on what it shows. They might speed it up and make it look like you were driving nitro cars!
1965GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 12:06 PM   #20
1astrsk
Registered Member

Be careful--A lot of police departments have editing software at the station house. They screw with the camera angles on dui tapes to make you look drunker or speed the tape up to make you look like you go faster.
I heard that Metro Atlanta PD sometimes stage fatality accidents at the end of some drag races to make drag racing on the street look dangerous. They are crafty. (Its not, though, People very rarely ever die as a result of speeding or racing. And if they do its usually some innocent bystander who shouldn't have been there in the 1st place)

I just read a post on another mustang site and two officers were around the area of a street race and did not break it up. An innocent bystander got killed and the replies to the forum talked about the a$$hole cops who didn't stop the races. Seems like your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

If you race on the street than be grown up enough to accept the fines/jail time when and if you get caught.

As far as running from the police, go ahead and Try it. You might get away. But you may also wreck your car or kill yourself or someone else. Or you may get caught. Again, don't run if you can't afford to get caught and deal w/ the consequences.

We get 2 or 3 chases a week where I work. The large majority don't get away (motorcycles usually do FYI) . Our department has enough officers so that no matter where you run you will most likely be heading towards another officer. IMO, it's not worth it. The older you get and the more "stuff" you acquire that could be taken away, the safer you tend to be. I have a lot of "stuff" I don't want to lose for being stupid so I tend to try to be safe.

You can try the speedy trial thing but I have never seen it work in 7 years. When my court system backs up they hold night court to get the cases in.

I would definitely recomend talking to the solicitor about the case before the trial to see if you can work out a deal. Most are willing to work something out. Also see if you can postpone the case several times. The longer you wait the more details the officer may forget which will strengthen your case. Also, dont race on the street. Not even to "50 in second". You will be noticed and pulled over more likely than a taurus wagon or a z24 cavalier or something. Good luck w/ the ticket.
1astrsk is offline   Reply With Quote