MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-31-2001, 09:53 AM   #1
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Post grudge race

I made a post a long time ago about beating a '92 Camaro RS, 305/auto, nothing special, at all. Beat him by 6-7 lenghts up to about 75. He's always been a Chevy boy. He had a '85 Z28, 350/auto, carb/intake, before that. I never ran that though. But I would have killed it. Anyways, now he's trading in his RS for a '94 Firebird Formula, 5.7l, 6-spd, stock. Now he's telling me he wants to run me again. He wasn't being that big of a dick about it, but I could tell that he thinks he's going to just slaughter me. Those things run low 14s, right? About the same as I'll be running once I get my rear end done.

I need to either race him pretty soon after he gets the car, before he knows how to launch/powershift real good with it, and dump my spare, jack, floor mats, and make sure I have about 1/4 tank of fuel. Or tell him to wait until we go to the track and run him there. I should be able to get him there, he won't have slicks, and he's never driven on the track so I know he'd just have it sideways the whole time.

What are your guys' opinions? I don't want to puss out of a race on the street just because I think I'll lose. I guess I just need to be prepared when I go out and cruise, right?

I have 1 more question for you all. My car weighs about 3050 without jack, spare, floor mats, and with 1/4 tank of gas, and without me in it. How much does the front sway bar weigh? I don't have a rear one. And with an auto, would it be worth it to take it off before I took it to the track? I will trailer it to the track, so driveability is not a concern.

------------------
Previously "BennyBoy"
'69 Coupe with 351W
Edelbrock RPM intake, Edelbrock RPM cam, Edelbrock 750 cfm carb, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" pipe, glasspacks, C4, 9" Currie is here!!, 290hp-stock heads
The Surgeon General didn't say anything about smoking your azz!!
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 10:27 AM   #2
dinomite
The Dude

you should definently drop the sway bar, especially if you aren't driving there. its not so much the weight of the swaybar itself, but without it, the weight will transfer to the rear more easily.

------------------
90LX AOD Convertable: Lakewood control arms, FMS springs.
Best 1/4: 15.277@92.25 (2.27 60')
AIM: dinomite1, roadracestang
dinomite@softhome.net
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 01:01 AM   #3
withamc
Registered Member

I've raced my friend a couple times in his '99 WS6 T/A and he hasn't won yet. He's got intake, exhaust and TB and his best time so far is 13.79 - I ran a 13.76 on that run.
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 10:46 AM   #4
FivepointOH
Registered Member

What times do you run before your rearend change 6T9PONY?
FivepointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2001, 09:26 PM   #5
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Thumbs up

6T9PONY, buy a pair of World Product Windsor heads and drag radials. For about $1000, you'll have better breathing heads and traction to rip off the line. Try to have the car dyno tuned before the race. Good Luck!!!
Nitrous Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 12:17 AM   #6
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Exclamation

Ok, I will for sure remove the sway bar. Thanks dinomite.

FivepointOH- From some of my races, I would guess right around 14.9-15.0. I hope/guess for some 14.2s-14.4s after we're done. More around 14.4 is what I suppose it will be.

Nitrous Al- I'm not going to be able to afford anything like heads or drag radials right now, and probably not anytime while I'm in high school. I was going to try and get the Performer RPM heads along with some Federal Mogul pistons next summer, but, there is no way I will be able to do that, and put $1000 in the bank for college. I can't work during the school year because I am involved in 3 sports, plus Honor Society and StuCo. And dyno tuning is way out of the question, I would have to go over a hundred miles to get that done.

I cannot afford anything at all now, everything is going into the bank.

I have to go with what I have now. I also got a B&M shift kit too.

------------------
Previously "BennyBoy"
'69 Coupe with 351W
Edelbrock RPM intake, Edelbrock RPM cam, Edelbrock 750 cfm carb, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" pipe, glasspacks, C4, 9" Currie is here!!, 290hp-stock heads
The Surgeon General didn't say anything about smoking your azz!!
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote