MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-16-2001, 03:54 PM   #1
LeadSled1
Registered Member

Question Kill from FFW on Gandy, anyone here?

Well FFW was here last weekend. I went out Saturday night to the usual spot and it was packed! I didn't see any of the usual guys so I drove over the Gandy bridge to see if they were on the other side. (it's a two lane bridge that is flat and over 2 miles long. A great race area) Just before I get onto the bridge a red LX almost pulls out in front of me. I pass around his front end just missing him. Hmm.... seems like he was in a hurry. As I get about 1/4 mile onto the bridge the LX comes flying up on my left and jams on the brakes staying even with me pacing me at about 65mph. I had my friend Brian with me and it was his first time out to the Bridge in about 10 years. He looked at me, I looked at him and gave the Stang a nod and it was on. I kinda felt sorry for the guy since he was on my passenger side and my cutout was open. I pulled away at a decent pace with about 7 cars to 120. He ends up getting in behind me and we make a U-turn at the end of the bridge. I start to accelerate thinking he will not want to play anymore but the he gets up next to me and the passenger rolls his window down and starts motioning with his hand to slow down while he is hanging his head out the window. I figure he is going to ask for the move or some cars so I roll down my window to see what he has to say. When I do this he starts to slow down so I try to get back even with him by hitting the brakes. I've got my head halfway out the window so I can hear what the guy has to say as I slow down when I hear it, the driver down shifted to bring his Rs up but he is trying to hide it. I knew it was going to happen before I saw the car jump, he floored it. The car definately had drag shocks as I could see plenty of air between the tire and the fenderwell, he was about half a car back. By the time I got my head back into the car and she downshifted he had about a half a car on me. His passenger was still looking directly at me as they went by. But when the trusty converter spooled up I instantly walked by him giving the passenger a smiley grin as we went by. I could have sworn I saw his jaw drop. From what Brian and I could figure out they thought by slowing down they would jump my car and have to hold me off till the topend but my car is actually faster down low. Hehehehe.... Surprise surprise. They shut down after I had a heck of a lead by 90. It was a fun night.

jess

------------------
99 Z28 A4 3.23
Lid/Filter,MAF,MACs/OR,cutout,tb,MW3200 stall
321rwhp/330rwtq The Sled
stock vs mods dyno
Time slip

LeadSled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 09:07 PM   #2
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I rember when i went to the ffw in atlanta same stuff. people all over the place trying to race. The funny thing was u already new how fast they where becuase of the times early in the day. Too bad I only had a stock 96 gt at the time.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 11:34 AM   #3
Mean50
Registered Member

Well FFW at Bristol, TN is the same way. The only problem around here is that there are too many cops watching for stuff like that. It is cool to try to get by with it though.

------------------
89 LX Coupe
306, 10:1 compression, Holley Heads, Intake, and Cam package, 70 mm Throttle body and Mass Air, 30 lb injectors, 255 lph fuel pump, 1 5/8" full length headers, Flowmaster 2 1/2" American Thunder Cat back system, Centerforce dual friction clutch, 4.10 gears
50-175 hp Nitrous Works kit, 5" Auto Meter Shift Light
Mean50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 08:23 PM   #4
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Your LS1 sounds sweet man! i love to hear a story like that. i can't stand when people try to trick you in a race. nice move giving him a smile as the LS1 walked him.

I'm looking to get one maybe soon.......sounds like your pleased with the A4. have you ever had a stick and if so do u miss it? Does the A4 have a weakness when racing meaning parts, mph u start the race at?

------------------
'86 GT.
Gears & Flows
EZRIDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 12:55 PM   #5
LeadSled1
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Things were pretty hairy with all the cars around. The cops did shut it down about 30 minutes later. After that we all just parked and BSed till early in the morning.

EZRIDN, this is my first auto in about 10 years. My last car was a supercharged Vette with a 6 spd and before that was a 95 GT 5 spd. I actually don't miss them with the tranny the LS1s come with. The big thing to watch for on the 4L60E is when you start to get into the low 11s/high 10s NA or you get into big power adders you will want to get better bands/clutches. For a stock factory tranny they work quite well. I used to have a real dead spot at 40mph but the converter turned that into my sweet spot. Once you have a good converter there are no dead spots since it jumps you right into the meat of your powerband.

jess

Old 03-20-2001, 02:02 PM   #6
EZRIDN
Registered Member

Question

Leadsled1...if i remember right you have a 3200 stall. does this mean that when your crusing down the road the car is always reving at 3200?? when u come off a light does it immediately rev to 3200???/

------------------
'86 GT.
Gears & Flows
EZRIDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 02:50 PM   #7
LeadSled1
Registered Member

Wink

Not at all. I could drive around at 2000rpms all day. (I drive 52 miles one way to work) With the lockup clutch I run 55mph at about 1700rpms, 90mph at about 2700rpms. When you jump on the gas then the rpms shoot up and the car stays in its powerband. If you only go part throttle the car acts regularly. Think of it kind of like a slipping clutch. If you stay out of the gas the rpms don't jump up but if you floor it the jump up high, but the car moves out like a bat outa hell.

jess
Old 03-20-2001, 03:53 PM   #8
sedanman
Registered Member

Ezridn, you would love a stall car! Next time you come over I will see if any of my friends with a stall car will take you for a ride. If you get a A4 you need to do a stall right away.

sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote