MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-25-2001, 09:44 PM   #1
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Question 1965 Chrysler Newport (long)

My great grandma died, which sucks. She did however, leave my uncle her 1965 Chrysler Newport 4 door sedan. It has a 383 4 barrel v8 in it. It has not been driven for the last 10 years, and has 50000 original miles on it. My uncle is now bragging how it would kick my GT's *** . This is really bothering me. I refuse to believe this 35 year old grocery getter could take my GT, but he says I dont know anything about old cars (which I really dont). I said Id race him for 500 dollars, but he said he doesnt want to take my money. Is this car even a remote threat to me? If I lose to him, I'm seriously going to be mad. Does anyone know about these cars/engines? What can I expect?
Thanks.

------------------
Black 2000 GT
Magnaflow Catback, K&N
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2001, 10:22 PM   #2
bigwhitecobra
Huh? Whatcha said?

Wink

You can expect to take his money after you whip his @$$. They may have alot of power, but they also have alot of weight to haul around. If you can't take him, even if you have to push your car, then you have more to worry about than this boat.
Don't make it flashy, just whoop'em and leave him crying. Then spend the money on a cam and headers. Or a new set of gears.

------------------
The Black Mamba 11.2@124
94 Cobra- MAC cold air fender kit, Motorsport underdrive pulley's, MAC 21/2" off-road H pipe, SVO mufflers, 3.73 gears, E-303 cam, 13.417@101.335mph
bigwhitecobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2001, 11:06 PM   #3
Fostang
Registered Member

No way a car that has not been driven in 10 yrs going to haul *** without some engine work. It might have tire shreading horse power but if it still has the original skinny tires on it will never grab. If you can't take him Call me and I'll take his money

------------------
67'fastback- Edelbrock carb, intake, cam, valve springs. Road lifters, Comp Cam rocker arms, windage tray, cerama coated headers, dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4, tci stall converter, perma cool electric fan, aluminum water pump, griffen aluminum radiator, accel 8.8 cable, wide cap distriburator, magnetic pick up, manley valves, v-matic hurst shifter, edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump, ignitor coil, solid motor mounts, magna racing suspension, poly urathane bushings, und
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 01:26 AM   #4
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Thumbs up

That's what I thought. I called him up and told him it was on, but he said "they didnt make them for racing, but they had a hell of a lot more HP than any new cars." So, I guess the race is a wash. Does anyone know what their actual HP rating was. Thanks again, bigwhitecobra and Fostang.
Old 03-26-2001, 01:58 PM   #5
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

Not positive on the 383 4-barrel in the Newport, but if it is the same as in my buddy's '69 Roadrunner, I believe it should be rated for 335 gross hp (not sure how to get net from gross to compare with modern ratings).
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 09:11 PM   #6
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation

Old car HP ratings were very often overstated and of course were measured at the flywheel with no accessories, making them bogus in most cases, although some of the muscle cars fudged the 'real' HP numbers for lower ones so the insurance nazis and the feds wouldn't get antsy; NASCAR rules at the time being a factor, too.

To compare the car in question (Chrysler 383) with yours, subtract at least 30% from whatever the factory HP rating was (say, 335) and you get around 225 HP in a car that weighs almost 4000 pounds and has an automatic, not to mention joke tires and suspension and probably a 2.73 rear ratio (for gas mileage purposes). Are you intimidated yet? Didn't think so.

Your Uncle labors under the delusion that those old behemoths with the huge cubes and big HP ratings were actually fast. Nope.
They could get out of their own way and were great at higher cruising speeds but stoplight warriors they were not. Some of them were quick, such as the Pontiac Bonnevilles and Catalinas with 389's and the rather rare 421.
We all know about the 426 hemi Dodge/Plymouth and the famous Ford 427, as well as the Chevy 454 and so on. These were 'special' vehicles that were very rare, even back then, as they were expensive and rather impractical for daily driving. The run-of-the-mill Chrysler 383 was never a serious contender, even back in '65. Nothing has changed in 35 years.
Your uncle is mistaken here but so what?
If he won't race it's a moot point anyway but leave the challenge open and be careful of running him at some high speeds where the cubes and high rear axle ratio might give you a scare; that is, if the old boat didn't blow up. Some things just don't age well and cars that don't run for ten years are one of them.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2001, 09:27 PM   #7
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Ok, thanks Mr. 5.0 that is the exact response I wanted to hear. I knew it was BS, but I doubted my actual knowledge of old cars. I'll still watch out for old Camaros, birds, and Stangs, but i think Ill be alright with the rest.
Old 03-26-2001, 10:00 PM   #8
gp001
Registered Member

You shouldn't have a problem with THAT old car. For comparison, a 1966 Dodge Charger 383 4 bbl runs 16.3@85 mph BONE STOCK NEW (325hp, 425 lb/ft torque). The Charger is probably a lighter than the New Yorker (Charger weighs 3760), but only had 7.75" wide, 14" diameter tires. Info from Motor Trend January 1966

But don't let that fool you into believing "old cars are slow". A 1969 Dodge Charger with 440 runs 13.9 (automatic) 13.68 (4 spd), and the 426 Hemi Charger runs 13.48@109. Keep in mind these are bone stock 3800 lb cars with 8 inch wide tires. Info from Hot Rod Feb 1969 & Car Life April 1969.

Imagine the same power plants in a lighter car (like a Cuda) with a few mods

------------------
347 (Coast High short block), 279/284 .493/.510, TFS TW, Stealth, 750, Flowtech hdrs, Dr. Gas X, 2 Chmbr Flowmaster, MSD 6AL-Dist.& SS coil, March serpentine pulley system, Art Carr C-4, Currie 9" w/3.55, alum Drv Shft, susp mods, Total Control subframes & tower braces, Trans Am Racing power dual master, 4 wheel disc
In a 66 coupe
gp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 01:23 PM   #9
LincoConti87
Registered Member

I think you can write this one off as a win man. I don't know any numbers for the car but I know that most old cars ain't got much to brag about. Those old V8s could probably roast the 185 14 inch tires but nothin for acceleration. The sports cars are an acception in many cases such as the hemi dodges and cobrajet fords but how often do you see these cars and who would have one in pristine shape and be willing to run it.
I just got this Lincoln Continental that belonged to an older lady and it has only 35k miles on it and was not driven for nearly 2 years in storage. Its got a standard 5.0 with a healthy 275 ft/lbs of torque but barely any horsepower (150)...goes to show the tires can be toast but without real horsepower and 4000 pounds it ain't gonna move faster than any mustang except maybe some of the older 4 bangers and 3.8s of 80's. Might also want to tell your uncle to change all the fluids and drive it around for a week before he goes tearing it up and losing 500 bucks which he will need to pay to fix it.

------------------
Rob meister
87 Lincoln Continental
LincoConti87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 05:31 PM   #10
lx mike
Undescribable

Lightbulb

Take your uncle for a ride in your stang and show him what he is up against, then if he is still trash talking tell him to prove it.

------------------
93-LX: 5 Speed, Flow's with H-Pipe, 3.73's Sub's and K&N.
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote