MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-01-2001, 07:32 PM   #1
Rev
Registered Member

Post '66 runs even with LT1 Camaro; annihilates '80's Firebird

The last few weeks have been great for me. I get races every time I go out. Yesterday, I was out cruising around at 11:00 AM and what do I see in my rear view but a LT1 Camaro vert. I'm turning left onto Main Street which is 3 lanes each way. I'm in the left lane at the next light. There's a van in the middle lane and the Camaro is in the right lane. I couldn't see the Camaro due to the van. I had no idea if he would go or not. Not being sure, I gave it half throttle just in case and sure enough the guy had nailed it from the light. It was an automatic. This always puts me back a half a car. I did eventually reel him in at about 70. Had to let off due to a car that had entered his lane a half a block ahead. Even though I did catch him, I can't count it more than an even race. He was a middle aged guy with his wife in the car with him and he smiled and waved.

The second one was an 80's Firebird. We played a little on the beltway with me pulling him at will. This was another middle aged guy who was smiling and waving. Since I had already pulled on him a couple of times, I really didn't expect him to go at the light. Like an idiot, I let him get a 1/2 car jump, but just went blasting by him and stayed on it to about 70 or so. Probably 10-12 lengths on this guy. He at least had exhaust but nothing else I bet. I think it was a 350, mostly stock and automatic. This one was almost too easy.

It bothers me some that I always seem to let the other guy go first before I nail it. My car really isn't fast enough for me to be giving anything away. On the other hand, I hate to appear as a complete A$$, laying rubber for twenty feet at every light where there's a decent car. Even if I rev, nobody ever revs back. What's the proper etiquette for this? Maybe I'll post that question in the BOL.

Anyway, I had acouple of good races. Well, at least one.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2001, 08:31 PM   #2
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev:
It bothers me some that I always seem to let the other guy go first before I nail it...Even if I rev, nobody ever revs back. What's the proper etiquette for this? Maybe I'll post that question in the BOL....
Rev
I usually let the other guy go first, depending on the car. If I think it is slower, same as mine, or just a tad bit faster than mine, I'll let them get the split second jump. For example, if rolling, what I actually do is line up beside them and start slowly accelerating letting them know they better hit it anytime and a split second after they hit it, I hit it.

I rev sometimes, but it more like a hop. Sometimes, there is no need to rev as both parties just know what's anout to happen.

As far as etiquette, if you have a fast car and are lined up at the light against another muscle car, it is your DUTY to oblige an invitation.

-------------------------------
'79 Mustang Coup
4" Cowl
Weld wheels (15x6;15x8)
Stock 5.8L
C4 w/ shift kit
1.5" MAC full length headers
Holley 750 CFM
Edelbrock intake
2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters
8.8" Rear end w/ 3.55 gears (Now that's more like it!!)
Front: 225/60/15 Rear: 255/60/15 Eagle GT II
14 x 4” K&N air filter (getting the Xtreme setup soon)

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body

Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote