MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-23-2001, 07:39 PM   #1
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Cool Lotsa poopy flyin around!

I raced a Ferrarri 550 Maranello tonight. Yeah, I took him by 12 cars to 160mph.

"See above text... That you can call BS on."

I don't necessarily believe the Civic Si can run a 15.28, but I'm not gonna call BS on it, either. The first gen 4.6L's weight about 600 lbs more and have 50 more hp, so logically by those numbers they shouldn't be way apart in performance. Isn't that sickening? Still there are a few other things to look at, like the Civic Si is geared very well, the Mustang GT is NOT.

Also on the '01 Cobra running a 15.whatever. We all agree, we've heard and seen some really bad times, let's leave it at that. It's not like somebody came here saying "The new Cobra's are slow, they run 15's!!"

------------------
1987 GT 5spd.
D&D Performance "Z" spec T-5
Dynomax 2.5" Super Turbo system
BBK 2 1/2" H-pipe with cats
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2001, 07:55 PM   #2
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Cool

It's cool, I think Kevin did the right thing by locking out those threads, I'm usually level headed but I was even getting worked up.
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 04:09 PM   #3
Fostang
Registered Member

I've seen a civic Si run 15.3 with just a crappy fart pipe on it. But I have also seen a stock one only hit 15.5. I doubt one couldn't run 15.28.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 05:39 PM   #4
Kevin Price
Registered Member

A good example was my first time out with my previous Mustang. I had a ProCharger, TFS heads, cam, 3.73's, GT40, etc,etc.

Anyway, my first time to the track was a very humbling experience. I pulled a 13.6 @ 110.

Granted I was spinning and it wasn't running it's best. And, well, my driving skills were pretty crappy as well.

My point is, this was an easy 11 second car and yet I was a full 2 seconds off. so should we be surprised at a 15 second Cobra? I don't think so. Is it capable of better times? Absolutley. Seems like sometimes we put too much into E.T.'s and forget about some of the other very important factors that come into play. I think driving skills play the biggest role in how well a car performs. And at the track even the best street drivers need to adjust.

It's a whole different ball game, especially when your leg is shaking so bad that you can hardly keep the clutch down. Let alone worrying about your launch rpm, light, etc;.

Just my .02 cents worth.

------------------
SVO siamesed 351 stroked to 417ci,Yates heads, solid roller,Trans King glide and a little blue bottle
of giggle gas. My Car

[This message has been edited by Kevin Price (edited 05-24-2001).]
Kevin Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 06:33 PM   #5
dinomite
The Dude

That post on the Cobra was mine, his first two runs were 16.081@89.11 and 15.771@93.39. I don't know WHAT he was doing, cause you'd have to spin a lot to pull that off, he must have been shifting WAY early too. This was obviously his first time at the strip, but this was a day that the Northern Virginia Mustang Club had rented the strip so we all got 20+ runs. I lined up with him a couple hours later (he had probably done 10+ runs), and he THOROUGHLY whooped me as he should of, but still only ran a 13.8ish (don't know which slip is it, but i lost all races that day except for the first two cause i drive a SlowStang). Driving skill has a lot to do with things
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 06:34 PM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

In that case it's obvious that guy/girl was the worst driver in history. Not only was his ET way high, but his trap speed was 10mph slow. LOL.

Regardless, it was a shitty run for a new Cobra.
Old 05-24-2001, 06:56 PM   #7
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

I have a buddy who had the same frustrating experience. He has a Porsche 911 Carrera 4 and ran a best of 13.8 but was out in the 14s most of the day. Quite a frustrating experience considering this car is rated by magazines to run 13.1-13.3... stock. This guy has been driving and racing on the street quite a bit.

It comes out to the point that some cars require extremely good driving skills to run fast on the quartermile. Sometimes the car can be easy to drive, but the driver is the problem.

I personaly had the opportunity to try out that Porsche and embarassed myself twice. The shifter being very precice and quite different from anything I've driven before, I smoke the clutch twice. The first time I tried launching in third. Not good. And the second time I got the right launch (very fast) but shifted in fourth instead of second. Extremly bad!! This told me 2 things, don't judge the driver until you've tried out his ride... and let yourself have a leisure ride in a car you are about take it down the track.

My friend decided that his Porsche was simply not a good quartermile car. So he decided to get a 96+ Viper... and yes he is keeping the 2001 911 Carrera 4.
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 07:36 PM   #8
Rev
Registered Member

LK, after that 3 rd gear launch, does the Carerra 4 still have a clutch? Not too sure I would want you testing my car in the 1/4, hee,hee.

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 10:07 PM   #9
TheSloAod
Registered Member

LK - if your buddy wanted a 1/4 mile car why didnt you advise him towards a mustang? he would be going twice as fast for 1/2 the cost of dodge... are vipers 1/4 mile cars?

------------------
My slo aod- 3.73s, pullies, flowmasters, h-pipe, bbk cold air, and 13.42 in the 1/4 @ 103 mph
TheSloAod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2001, 11:33 PM   #10
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Hey unit, i know it's not for real about the ferrari you raced ha ha, but there was a 550 maranello at a street shootout over at our local track last sunday, he only turned 13.08 @ 114, pretty damn fast to me, but im sure someone here will say it's supposed to run 11's or whatever, but the guy almost won the 13 sec class except there was dirty sandbaggin bastards there that beat him out.

------------------
90 lx coupe: Mac cold air fenderwell, accel supercoil,ADS chip (not yet track tested),3-core radiatr, FMS alum D/S, Black magic fan, 3.27grs, 3chbr flows.
Best time: 13.9116(on 225/60/15 firehawks)
Best mph: 98.17
Best 60': 1.9607

next mods: subframes, mac h-pipe
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 01:15 AM   #11
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Question

Are the Viper's 1/4 mile cars? Is that a serious question?

I don't know, I guess I would consider a stock car that cannot be really floored until it get's moving, yet it still runs low 12's@120+mph a 1/4 mile car. Just add slicks and drop deep into the 11's.

BTW, I would also consider the Carrera a 1/4 mile car. With AWD the launches should be pretty simple, if you have it in the right gear, lol.

As far as the Ferrari 550, I would expect 485hp to do a lot better than a 13.08, but as many people know, the chrome gated shifter isn't user friendly to those who haven't mastered it.
Old 05-25-2001, 01:31 AM   #12
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Wink

Unit5302..Thats nothing man. I beat a Vette Z06 by 8 car lengths, and we raced for seven miles straight. I was in my step dads 95 Ford 4cyl Automatic Ranger, and I had the AC on full blast.

Heres his mods we put on. Areo dynamic fully windtunnel tested Camper shell. Strategically placed scratches and chips in the paint (better downforce) Traction controlling mud flaps (Yosemitie Sam Hooks up some mean traction) Ram Air bug deflector, Oh yeah buddy. And the biggest mod that took about a year to do, and accomplish.......Oil that has about 12000 Miles on it.

Funny thing is, the race never went over 60 Miles per hour. I turned my flasher on just so he knew who the Boss was.

Okay okay enough...Couldnt resist. Sorry about that.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2001, 11:23 AM   #13
Lizard King
midnightruns.com

Quote:
Originally posted by Unit 5302:

BTW, I would also consider the Carrera a 1/4 mile car. With AWD the launches should be pretty simple, if you have it in the right gear, lol.

It looks that simple and yes I did think the same way... but (big but)... It's not! The carrera 4 has a dual mass clutch for easy street cruising - no jerking on launch and the gas pedal is fly by wire... so if the car doesn't like it, it pulls out.

If you try launching the car from 5000rpm+, one of two things will happen. A. Smolder the clutch. B. The throttle will bog down to allow the car to launch comfortably. It's really screwed. He even said that to the guys on a Porsche board and they initially told him he shouldn't drag race the car,... it's meant for the track, and then got a few answers from people that felt the same way. (I'll try and get you the address)

Last year he owned a Conv. 911 Carrera (RWD), that car was cool... instead of smoldering the clutch on a hard launch it would wheel hop. He consistently beat me with that car, the Carrera 4 is not as fast (and consistent).
Lizard King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 01:02 PM   #14
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Wow, and you always here about how great Porsche is at designing stuff.

If the smoking clutch is true, they've got an F- as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-26-2001, 01:03 PM   #15
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercury:
Unit5302..Thats nothing man. I beat a Vette Z06 by 8 car lengths, and we raced for seven miles straight. I was in my step dads 95 Ford 4cyl Automatic Ranger, and I had the AC on full blast.

Heres his mods we put on. Areo dynamic fully windtunnel tested Camper shell. Strategically placed scratches and chips in the paint (better downforce) Traction controlling mud flaps (Yosemitie Sam Hooks up some mean traction) Ram Air bug deflector, Oh yeah buddy. And the biggest mod that took about a year to do, and accomplish.......Oil that has about 12000 Miles on it.

Funny thing is, the race never went over 60 Miles per hour. I turned my flasher on just so he knew who the Boss was.
BS ALERT!!!! BS ALERT!!!!!!

(You see how that works, people?)

Old 05-26-2001, 02:25 PM   #16
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Man thats not BS....Its the truth.... He just didnt know I was racing him. ..

All joking aside, I hope you all realize I was just kidding. I've only seen one Z06 around town, and it was parked at a bookstore. Nice car though.
Old 05-27-2001, 12:45 PM   #17
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Cool

So you like my new car Mercury? I park it out side the store all the time so the girls can see it! Light Em Up!!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 02:38 PM   #18
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Talking

Dang Noslow5.0, you sure drive a long way to get Mustang Magazines and books dont you? About 400-500 miles?

Nice car though man.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:31 AM   #19
NoSlow5.0
YOU HAVE NO MARBLES!!!!!!

Cool

In a car like that it only takes me a couple of hours. And who wouldn't enjoy cruising for a couple of hours in that baby? Light Em Up!
NoSlow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote