MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-04-2002, 07:43 PM   #1
Beavis
Registered Member

Default MPH Limit

i was racing against another mustang in the freeway, i was doing about 130mph in 5th gear, but it didn't seem to go past that. I was pretty much flooring it, but it didn't go any further. Is that the limit? And if so, what can i put into the car to make it go to at least 140mph...?

I have a 89 GT, w/ saleen suspension , msd, and everything else pretty much stock.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 08:35 PM   #2
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

130-135mph is right on for the top speed of a stock-motored 5.0.
To get 10mph more out of it would take roughly 15% more horsepower, so you just need to mod it up to about 260 and you should be there.
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 11:24 PM   #3
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Beavis, save the 130 mph top speed runs for the track. GROW UP BEAVIS BEFORE YOU KILL SOMEONE!!!
Nitrous Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 11:26 AM   #4
95mustanggt
Registered Member

If you have 2.73 gears, keep the car in 4th, I found that I was faster. 5th Gear just is not meant as a performance gear.

That aside, be care at those speeds. Only a couple times have I ever gone that fast on public roads, and its not really the safest thing to do, for you are other people on the road.

Take it to a track and let her rip

20016 F150 Lariat Super Crew
95mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 04:13 PM   #5
Milktasd
Registered Member

Exclamation Yeah

Don't shift into overdrive(5th) stay in 4th like 95mustanggt said. You will lose speed/power because you will no longer be going 1:1 drive. Which it is in 4th.
But if you change your gears you could use fifth gear to race in. My Cobra will go 147 MPH in 4th with stock gears. It's a 1996. But I won't go above 120 MPH. It is not worth it to go any faster. Even that speed scares the piss out of me.
Milktasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 01:10 AM   #6
Beavis
Registered Member

Nitrous Al, the only person that woulda died would have been myself. It was 4am in the freeway, no traffic. But thnks for info everyone else.
Old 02-06-2002, 02:27 PM   #7
sedanman
Registered Member

I kinda have to agree with Al it is not a good idea to be running your car that fast! First as stock as your car is it probably took you quite some time to get up to that speed and from what you said you sustained it for some time, well you will read about others doing it they are usually in a modded car where they reach 130 in a matter of momments and then shut right back down, even than it is not a good idea.

GONE 1991 Lx sedan 5.0, 5spd (Liberty proshifted TKO) S-trim, Ported TF heads everything parted out.
sedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 10:15 PM   #8
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Default Re: MPH Limit

Quote:
Originally posted by Beavis
i was racing against another mustang in the freeway, i was doing about 130mph in 5th gear, but it didn't seem to go past that. I was pretty much flooring it, but it didn't go any further. Is that the limit? And if so, what can i put into the car to make it go to at least 140mph...?

I have a 89 GT, w/ saleen suspension , msd, and everything else pretty much stock.
Dude, you said it, 130mph and another Mustang on the freeway. Do it on a track. Stuff like that gives us all a bad name. Your local news paper would have read, "Fast and Furious Racing Again!" Late last night, two Ford Mustangs engaged in an illegally street race crashed leaving one person dead and another in critical condition..." GROW UP AND DO IT ON A TRACK!
Nitrous Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 10:27 PM   #9
Beavis
Registered Member

LOL

I know its dangerous, first time doing it actually. So i get your point, thnks for the advice.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:27 PM   #10
tinner
Registered Member

Nitrous Al do you want to tell him one more time it is for the track? Maybe he did not get it the first two times. By the way most people who street race do it on the street .

Keith Craft 408w
11:1cr AFR205's , Vic Jr. , 750 Speed Demon , MSD Digital 6+ , Aeromotive fuel system , Hooker Super Comp ,Headers , Art Carr roller C-4 w/ 10" converter and trans brake
tinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 08:08 PM   #11
Unit 5302
Registered Member

I have personally exceeded 140mph on multiple occations. I would "Save it for the track" but the nearest one is over 3hrs away and would cost me $100-200 to use.

I was just as much in control of my car as most people you see rolling down the freeway in rush hour.

You made your point Nitrous AL, you can quit preaching. By the way, what the heck do you care if he's giving street racers a bad name? You're "Saving it for the track." Course, if you're upset because he's making it harder for you to screw off in the public then by all means he should cease and desist. Sell his car so only you can enjoy screwing around. Then again, you're probably doing it with other cars around and what not, so you're the one making people ticked, not some kid nobody is seeing in the middle of the night on a freeway.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 11:28 PM   #12
Beavis
Registered Member

Talking

LOL, I love you for that one UNIT 5302
Glad i'm not alone out there, b safe UNIT =)

89 GT 5.0- wrecked on 7/03
3.08 gears, Saleen Suspension, MSD Ignition, Underdrive pulleys, Flowmaster force II Cat-Back exhuast, Flex-a-Lite Black Magic Elec. Fan.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:22 PM   #13
7000rpmisheaven
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinner
Nitrous Al do you want to tell him one more time it is for the track? Maybe he did not get it the first two times. By the way most people who street race do it on the street .
LOL Isn't that why it is called street racing?

In my opinion there is no need to go 130 mph off of the track. I street race every chance i get. But If I race someone I'm shutting it down by a little after 100. most of the time you can tell who is winning and if the other guy wants to push it past that he can go right ahead. I don't talk trash and i don't listen to it either. If the other racer wants to say something about me not wanting to do 150 I don't really care.
milodon water pump, FMS 9mm wires, aluminum driveshaft, king cobra clutch
7000rpmisheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 04:56 PM   #14
jonnyk
Being stroked is great

I'm with Unit on this one...
Top speed is fun, and you're not hurting anyone if you're responsible about it. More people die running red lights or burning stop signs, etc. I've had my car to about 140 mph with pulleys, mass air, timing advance, and !catalytics. It was pretty much out of steam.

Mods Pics
jonnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 10:08 PM   #15
Beavis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 7000rpmisheaven

LOL Isn't that why it is called street racing?

In my opinion there is no need to go 130 mph off of the track. I street race every chance i get. But If I race someone I'm shutting it down by a little after 100. most of the time you can tell who is winning and if the other guy wants to push it past that he can go right ahead. I don't talk trash and i don't listen to it either. If the other racer wants to say something about me not wanting to do 150 I don't really care.
actually, we didn't start at a red light...i was driving in freeway bout 80 and this other mustang just flew by me....and since i had nothing to do i stepped on it to see if i could pass him, but he kept going so i had to go all the way... i guess you could say that i dont like to give up untill i'm ahead...sorry but oh well... and btw, i did eventually pass him, but he sorta knew i wasn't gona slow down so he did.....

89 GT 5.0- wrecked on 7/03
3.08 gears, Saleen Suspension, MSD Ignition, Underdrive pulleys, Flowmaster force II Cat-Back exhuast, Flex-a-Lite Black Magic Elec. Fan.
Old 02-09-2002, 03:10 PM   #16
BrooklynBrawler
Registered Member

Default 140 MPH ...thats it???

hey BEVIS,
im with u and unit, lol............my mods back when this happen was , bold rear tires, broken upper control arm on the right, my exhaust was broken of on the left side from the H pipe down(( after i bottomed out 1 day)) the exhaust left over was HOLY everywhere....lol.....a leaking header gasket, a leaking manifold gasket ,timing set at 14 , short belt, pullies, tranny on its way to a grave yard, 175,000 on the clock , and 2.73 rear stock ...lolol

I was on my way to Philly on the turnpike exit 14 , when i started to toy with an IROCK..hahaha.....then we went at it !!!!
i also agree that 4TH gear is the gear to use when goin for top speed in 4 th gear i REDLINED the motor at about 5600 RPM,
now i dont kno what speed i was goin cuz all i seen was the needle go past the 85 mph mark and it conitinued till well past the vertical point.........as a mater a fact it was close back to 0mph
after all said and done we made it to philly in 38 MIN...thats 120 MILES , so do the math....but the guy in the IROC said that his clock read well past the 145 MPH mark.....is was fun ....Sun night at 1 am.
BrooklynBrawler is offline   Reply With Quote