MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-02-2001, 05:53 PM   #1
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Exclamation

It's not mind blowing at all. It's been done in race cars for years and years. I find the F360 Modena's 111hp/liter much more impressive, considering it's doing that with a V-8 making 400hp, and it actually has torque.

The S2000 brings a race car engine to the street. I had a big argument with some dumbasses on honda-tech a while back about how long that motor will last.

Basically, they think it will last every bit as long as a 5.0 because of "quality control". Then they talked about this super alloy on the cylinder walls that makes them not wear. It appears crosshatched under magnification (sounds like a version of Nikasil to me). Not only does this super alloy allow the cylinder walls to shrink providing a better fit hahahaha (can you say seize?), but it's invincible. Great! So what's to keep the rings from shredding? I'm assuming this super alloy is on the rings too. Well then, I've always found it to be true when you rub two of the same objects together at a few hundred miles per hour and a few hundred degrees, some solevents, and serious pressure, they wear.

Anyway, I'm impressed that Honda feels strongly enough in their image to release a 9000rpm 120hp/liter motor to the public. I'm not impressed at what I think it's engine life will be, the expense of the car, or the fact you have to burn the **** out of the clutch. I remember the first test about the S2000 breaking into the 13's. The testers slipped the clutch out from like 5000rpms. Slipping at 5k?? **** , if you think a clutch is going to last 6mo doing that more than a few times you need your head examined. Even the testers said that it was very punishing to the clutch and they doubted such acts would allow the S2000's clutch to remain functional for more than a few passes.

Sometimes I wonder, I've seen several MAJOR recalls and major problems with Honda cars and motors, yet the American public never has them blown up into their faces like if something goes wrong with a Ford, GM, or Chrysler. I wonder if everybody would have such a keen perspective on Honda's "quality control" if they got all the info shot up their asses like the domestic owners do?
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote