MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Website Community > Stang Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-24-2002, 01:26 AM   #1
Blue50
Registered Member

Default Why did this happen?

Hello, i am new to this forum, but i must say, it is the BEST SITE ON THE NET!!!!! You guys have lot's of great info.

Anyway, today i was driving along minding my own business, when some punk guido in an 87-89 IROC Z blew by me revvin his engine. I thought, ok, so ill race this shmuck, my car has a good chance. I figured since his car is so much heavier, i would probably beat him even though he had a larger engine. Ok. We stopped at a light. Now this punk is revving like crazy and trying to act all cool. When the light turned green, i let my clutch out at about 3000. I had a bit of wheel sping, then a nice hard launch. The loser in the IROC was so busy reving his engine, that he forgot to put his car in drive before the light went. I saw him in my rearview suddenly light up his tires in a smoke storm. Then it happened. I was going about 45-50 and he was coming on me fast. Then at about 60, he flew by me. I tried to keep up, but he just kept going and going. I was WHOOPED BAD! Did his car have nos or something?? IT was quick as hell. I don't think that it was heavly modded either, because it looked like crap. Terrible paint, dirty, not taking care of, the whole nine... typical white trash looking IROC. Why was it so damn fast????
Blue50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 10:32 AM   #2
91GTturbo
Registered Member

The most important thing about street racing, never underestimate your opponent. Those car were not that fast stock or even slightly modified, maybe he did have nitrous.

One of my friends spent all his money on motor and suspension first. We called the car a casket, it had a hole in the floor board, was primered mostly, overall looked like crab. It ran 6.80's on motor in the 1/8, 6.0's on the spray. Boy did he sneak up on alot of people.

If you didn't hear a loppy cam, he probably did have nitrous.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:30 PM   #3
mean81GT
Registered Member

blue50, welcome to the site. i hate it when that happens. I hate having sleepers kick my ***. where about in New York are you from?
Old 01-24-2002, 10:18 PM   #4
Blue50
Registered Member

Brooklyn Baby!!!
Old 01-24-2002, 10:21 PM   #5
Blue50
Registered Member

Cam sounded pretty normal and mundane to me.. as did his entire engine... but i still cannot get over his initial launch.. It was so hard and fast. His tires made so much smoke, but he still launched hard. Maybe he is just a really experienced driver or something. I don't konw, i am looking for him again, so i can ask.
Old 01-25-2002, 01:08 AM   #6
Unit 5302
Registered Member

You would have killed the IROC if he was stock. Sounds to me like he was spraying, or he had a stroker or something of that sort.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 04:16 AM   #7
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Not like im real fast, but the only race i lost on the street was to an iroc, it was stroked though, and sounded mean, wasnt really the nicest looking car, it hit 2nd gear and blew bye.

does your car have free mods done? advanced ignition? air silencer removed? your right you are at a bad@s site, Thanx to the good people here, i had my car 2 tenths quicker when i first got my car.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 11:58 AM   #8
Blue50
Registered Member

Yep, all them little tricks. I am going to find this guy again, he lives near me... i have seen his car before. I have got to talk to him.... when i do, ill post back.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:17 AM   #9
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Your car is all stock and we really dunno how well its running.

Is it auto or stick?

Also those cars with some bolt-ons and gears can go low 14's fairly easy, which if your car isnt in good shape and near stock could pull on you pretty quick.

Don't be disappointed, get to speeding that thing up!

Skyler

RIP
----
1993 Notch w/ 98 4V 4.6 Fasttt...

-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
12.32@109

-1999 Black Cobra Coupe-
JBA Shorties, Bassani Cat-X, Magnaflow 3", Pulleys, 85mm Pro-M, Ported Intake, Soild Rear w/ 4.30s, Tubular Front End, X2C arms, 13lb batt, few others.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 09:13 PM   #10
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Question

Did you ever find out what the guy had? Stroker motor, nitrous, supercharger?
Nitrous Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 12:56 AM   #11
Blue50
Registered Member

Actually, he lives near me (like two blocks away). I saw him changing the oil in his car when i was walking to the train the other day. I started talking to him, and he seems like, Get this, PRETTY DECENT DUDE. Not your typical camaro driving *******. He has Stock exhaust manifolds, Flowmaster cat back, ported plenum, 5.7L tpi, and, a 150 shot of NOS! That's how he got me, that bastard!!!! Anyway, he is a cool guy, and he gave me a ride to the train in his IROC. I must say, i am surprised. These IROC's are not that slow. It was torquey as a mofo. I honestly think that even though he has an auto, it would be a pretty fair fight between my stang and his roc. On juice, he would kill me, as he did, but i think that i want juice now also. He said he hardly as any mods in his car, and the nos is all any street car needs to go fast. Is he right?? Anyway, which nos kit should i order for my stang. I want to beat this guy.
Old 02-01-2002, 10:03 PM   #12
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Blue50, I was once a 350 TPI Camaro guy with nitrous. It was fun for a minute, then I got beat by an "All Motor" Mustang. Build up your engine first. With heads, an intake, a cam and a stock bottom end, you can make 325 rear wheel hp. You'll love seeing the look on their faces when you tell them "it's only a little 5.0!"
Old 02-01-2002, 10:24 PM   #13
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue50
He said he hardly as any mods in his car, and the nos is all any street car needs to go fast. Is he right?? Anyway, which nos kit should i order for my stang. I want to beat this guy.
He's right, a 75- 150 shot will make a world of difference in your car. I had an adjustable dry NOS brand system on my first 91' AOD mustang. I went from running 9.91 (1/8) to 8.01 on a 150 shot. The only mods I had were MSD, electric fan, k&n, an inline pump, and colder plugs.

NOS is a nitrous brand. They make several kits for mustangs. They have a stage 1 non-adjustable 75 shot kit, you can run this with the stock fuel pump.

The stage 2 kit comes with a fuel pump and is adjustable. I forget what range, like 75 - 150. Both of these are dry kits.

I know they make a wet system that fits between the upper and lower intakes. I would get it if the money was avaliable. It allows both gas and the nitrous to be sprayed at the same time and the "hit" from the nitrous would be alot better than with a dry system. It's fully adjustable to just about what ever you want.
Old 02-02-2002, 12:48 AM   #14
Blue50
Registered Member

Hmmm, well now i don't know what to do. Should i build the motor, or just splurge for the 'juice'? I don't really care about beating camaros and iroc's, i really want to beat those ricer's (brooklyn i full of em). I don't have that much money, so the nitrous sounds like the most economical thing for me to do. But, is nitrous dangerous for my stock motor??
Old 02-02-2002, 10:29 AM   #15
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
Hmmm, well now i don't know what to do. Should i build the motor, or just splurge for the 'juice'? I don't have that much money, so the nitrous sounds like the most economical thing for me to do. But, is nitrous dangerous for my stock motor??
If you look around through some of the auctions, you can sometimes find a used kit for around $200. Using a dry system is very easy and safe as long not abused (i.e; to much timing, too big a shot, not enough octane).

All you need to do to run a dry 75-150 shot is colder heat range on the plugs, retard your timing, add a fuel pump, and run at least 93 octance. A dry system will automatically bump your fuel pressure when spraying so you don't run lean. With the wet, the additional gas needed is sprayed in at the same time as the nitrous which also will prevent leaning out.

I set timing to about 4* when sparying. Is your car a manual or auto? I would look into throttle activation, that way when you let off the gas, the nitrous automatically disengages, especially if you drive a stick. With an auto you'll have nothing to worry about, step on the gas, the nitrous engages, as soon as you let out, it disengages.
Old 02-02-2002, 10:34 AM   #16
SSMOKEM
Registered Member

hey Blue,

My buddy Jack has a 92LX. The 5.0 motor is completely stock except for fully ported stock heads. He has all the bolt-ons, headers, gears, intake, suspension etc.

On slicks and a 150 wet shot he runs 11.0 @ 122 with a 1.55 short time.

I don't see the need to worry about it, as long as you have all the safety features. I myself run a 200 shot on a stock 350 LT1 bottom end, and I've been doing it for over 2 years.

Just get a better fuel pump, fuel pressure safety switch, WOT switch and window switch. A 75 shot on your car is gravy and will add around 8 tenths and 8mph

1995 DCM Impala SS "Cherry Bomb"

Mods: 93% stock
Best ETs: Faster than my 1965 Chevy Pickup

My Super Impala SS Website
SSMOKEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 11:26 AM   #17
Blue50
Registered Member

My car is manual. Do i definitly need an aftermarket fuel pump though? I was under the impression that the stock one is fine.
Old 02-02-2002, 03:25 PM   #18
Nitrous Al
Registered Member

Question

Blue50, are they still very serious about ending street racing in New York (Operation Hermes)? Don't they take your car and you never get it back?
Old 02-02-2002, 05:14 PM   #19
Blue50
Registered Member

The nicest cops in the world are by far NYPD. You can pretty much get away with anything if you are cool to them. They just can't stand a wise *** or a punk though. Yeah, they are supposed to drop the hammer on you as far as racing and DUI is concerned, but if you are nice to them (and have a PBA card), your always off the hook. Example, i was downtown the other day, and i lit up my tires at a light with a cop right behind me (i didn't notice him), and he just gave me a 'whoop whoop' with his siren, and that's it. Basically saying 'chill out'. Very cool cops in NYC.
Old 02-02-2002, 05:20 PM   #20
91GTturbo
Registered Member

Quote:
My car is manual. Do i definitly need an aftermarket fuel pump though? I was under the impression that the stock one is fine.
75 shot or below and the stock fuel pump is fine. 100 shot or higher and and you'll need an aftermarket pump. Seeing that your car is a manual and your new to nitrous I would stick with the 75 shot until you get use to driving and spraying it at the same time. I still say you need the throttle activation.